Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

$29,000...why?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2003, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree fully. If I had followed my orignal plan and bought an FD, (I had enough saved up) I would surely not be talking here right now. I have done some increidibly stupid **** in my truck, and my truck has been a good sport.

It simply boils down to experience and maturity.
Old Jan 9, 2003, 11:10 PM

hmm im new here but im only 17 and my father is gunna get me an evo(if thats what i decide to get but im still planning on weather evo, WRX, or s2000..). What is the real difference between a high proformance car and a regular one(say a civic?). I mean isnt it better to have a high proformance one, wouldnt your response be better?
Old Jan 9, 2003, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by -=DimSum=-
hmm im new here but im only 17 and my father is gunna get me an evo(if thats what i decide to get but im still planning on weather evo, WRX, or s2000..). What is the real difference between a high proformance car and a regular one(say a civic?). I mean isnt it better to have a high proformance one, wouldnt your response be better?
yes your response time can be better, but you have to be paying more attention to what is going on around you and you have to have the experience to deal with what is going on around you more quickly.

The problem most people talk about with performance cars and younger drivers isn't the 9 to 5 daily commute to work or school. Anyone can drive a Ferrari to work at 60 mph w/o problems. But young people are more likely to get involved in high speed (relitive to conditions) stuff then older people (not saying older drivers don't!) and they are simply less equiped to deal with these problems that occur at these times. Younger people also have more of a tendency to drink & drive, or at least drink & drive and get caught - that is a statistical fact. (police are more on the lookout for young people drinking....)

If you get an Evo (or whatever), enjoy it, auto-x it, take it to the 1/4 mile track, find it's limits, and yours. But do in an environment that is safe, both for you and for others. Don't drive aggressively in an environemnt that you aren't comfortable with. example: my buddy Sean has a Z06, my other buddy Don has a single turbo fd (425+ rwhp) and the 3 of us go out driving aggressively. I know my car, and my limits, and there are times that I choose not to keep up with those guys because I don't know the roads, and I don't feel safe driving 10/10 on them - the capacity for me to take measure of the situation and drive 9/10 or 8/10 is something experience has taught me. Remember, having fun in your car is important, but it's not worth a ticket or a wreck... just be smart and don't do anything you don't feel comfortable with...
Old Jan 9, 2003, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

If you're 17 and this is your first car, I would suggest a small used car that is not high performance. Why? Because the first car always gets messed up somehow due to inexperience. If you get a nice new car, it would be quite a waste.
Instead, get a good used car and get experience on the road. Then in a few years time, you will have more experience and know what type of cars you like (i.e luxury or sport or 4 door or 2 door etc). Then you can go out and get the car of your dreams!

I'm just speaking from experience, but i thought i should share it.
Old Jan 9, 2003, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

It isnt younger people who make mistakes. Its imature people who happen to be young. I know plenty of mature and imature people on both ends of the spectrum.

Do not, I repeat, do not get an Evo for your first car.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

LOL
Old Jan 10, 2003, 12:06 AM

wow...well...you guys pretty much persuaded the **** outta me to not get an evo. im goin back to my first love, rsx-s..
Old Jan 10, 2003, 01:05 AM
Evolving Member

Honestly, I have never been in an accident, and I'm 24 now, been driving since i was 17. My Lancer's my third car; first two were an 85 Subaru DL wagon and an 85 Volvo wagon.

Neither of them were wrapped around a tree.

Learn to drive full-time in a "lesser" car and you'll appreciate the better cars later. I knew a lot of kids in my high school (I lived in a very affluent town) that got miatas and corvettes and a myriad of other sports cars that cracked them all up one way or another and wound up driving Corollas and Civics after they destroyed them.

One girl drove her firebird through a building on main street.

Are all young drivers bad?

No, but they're inexperienced, and inexperience leads to a greater chance of mistakes.

One of my high-school girlfriends got a V8 Firebird that "rumbled when she pushed the pedal." She was afraid of it, but her dad bought it for her because it would also be his weekend driver.

She wrapped it around a tree in the rain because she hydroplaned, panicked, and hit the gas instead of the brake. Car whipped around and bent the driver's side door in. Luckily she was petite and didn't get too badly hurt, but it illustrates a point:

inexperience causes accidents.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 01:41 AM
Evolved Member

see, i thought people would read what i wrote. not glaze over and say "hey he hates younger kids!" not true. i'm only 22. i don't think i have enough experience to drive a high performance car even now. in my little **** cars that i have driven, i have never been in an accident, but there have been some close calls and stuff. and each time, you learn a little more. it's like anything, practice makes perfect. in NO WAY did i say all young people are stupid and can't drive. but MOST are just too inexperienced and irresponsible to know when to not push past the limits. face it, you are buying an evo cause you want to go fast. otherwise, for $30k you can get a different really nice "luxury" type car.

and about whoever said mitsubishi has no target age group....EVERYTHING has a target audience. not one single product or service in the market today doesn't consider the target audience involved and tailor it to their wants and needs. it would be horribly bad business to just make something and hope people buy it.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by cupOZnj
and about whoever said mitsubishi has no target age group....EVERYTHING has a target audience. not one single product or service in the market today doesn't consider the target audience involved and tailor it to their wants and needs. it would be horribly bad business to just make something and hope people buy it.
Exactly, a target group doesn't mean the company will only sell this product to this group of people. That means over a majority (say 80%) of their sales are generated from a particular group of people. Sure, Mitsu won't mind a 90-yr old or a 16 yr old buying their product (say EVO in this case). However, will they be surviving IF their target group (the 80 something % of their potential customer) NOT buying it? Not likely
Old Jan 10, 2003, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by evo_dan
Aluminum hood, fenders and suspension components. Carbon fiber wing, reinforced chasis, twin scroll turbo, front mount intercooler, magnesium valve cover, hollow cam shafts, Enki wheels with expensive rubber, Brembo 4 piston brakes front, 2 piston rear, Recaro seats, the list goes on........

These components are the real deal and are not cheap.
FYI, normal WRX also has Aluminum hood and reinforced chasis with solid frame.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by PlaiBoi
thats what i was thinkin too...like damn...i dont know any 16-18 year olds who got $29,000 to buy a car with.
you guys surely havent met with alot of chinese indonesian do ya?
Old Jan 10, 2003, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
evo is only 29000, i got friends who are only 19, drives M3, R34, SL 55 AMG, so what if you're 18 and you're driving 50000+ car, as long as you're a good driver and knows what you are doin, oh yeah and know how to take good care of the car, why not?
Old Jan 10, 2003, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by insomniac_evo
evo is only 29000, i got friends who are only 19, drives M3, R34, SL 55 AMG, so what if you're 18 and you're driving 50000+ car, as long as you're a good driver and knows what you are doin, oh yeah and know how to take good care of the car, why not?
Over indulgence of a child is the worst form of child abuse. Take it from me and my three siblings.

Once you're out of the house and experience the "real" world, you quickly learn that in life there are no free rides. You don't get something for nothing, and many spoiled kids have a VERY hard time dealing with that. You won't understand what I'm talking about until you go through it.

Also, when you hit 25-30 years old, people lose respect for you if you're not pullling your own weight in life. People actually look down on you--they are not jealous anymore. Being spoiled starts to work against you.

I feel sorry for your parents if they believe the best way to show their love is to buy material items. It doesn't last, and most kids end up trying to fill a void when they are older because of it--but they don't know what the void is from. Over indulgence.

I had all of the toys when I was a teenager. Later in life I hated my parents for it. Now that I'm 34 I forgive them--they also realize how wrong they were. I make a very nice living now, along with my wife, and we have 2 young boys. Neither of them will ever be spoiled.

If you're living at home and working to afford a car payment or down payment, GOOD FOR YOU. It teaches you how to be accountable and responsible.

As for the comments about driving expensive cars at a young age... there is a good reason why insurers' most expensive category in the US and Canada is males under age 25---because statistically that is the group that trashes the most cars. It's a fact, so no point in trying to convince anybody otherwise.

Best.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by insomniac_evo
as long as you're a good driver and knows what you are doin, oh yeah and know how to take good care of the car, why not?
That's the point. I don't think anybody doubt that... However, a lot of time, things are easier said than done...