Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.
View Poll Results: Do you change your own oil?
Yes. No one but me can touch my Bebe there.
72.78%
No. I trust other people I can\'t see to service my car.
27.22%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Do you change your own oil?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2003, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
POLL: Do you change your own oil?

I'm thinking about changing my own oil, but I wanted to get some advice and feedback first.

First of all, is it that hard?
Second, what filter would you recommend?
Third, and probably most important, what kind of oil should I use? (Viscosity, Synthetic or not, etc.)

One more thing. Are there any warranty issues with changing your own oil? I've heard that if you don't have it documented by a certified company, it might void your engine warranty.

Thanks in advance.

D

Last edited by purecoda; Jan 22, 2003 at 12:17 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 11:42 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

It's very easy. I'd recommend getting an oil filter wrench though, because hand torquing isn't easy. Besides that all you need is something to collect the oil, a socket to loosen the plug, a new filter, some oil (3 quarts worked fine for me), some jack stands and some time.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

just don't get directly under the plug when you pull it out
any filter will work, ie Fram...and depending on where you live, 5w30 or 10w30...synthetic is prob. overkill.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks Hobie. Just a quick question though, do you run synthetic? Why or why not?

YOU ROCK!

D
Old Jan 22, 2003, 12:32 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I run Castrol synthetic blend. Why? Cuz it was cheaper then full synthetic. (At the time I was short on cash)

I'm going to move to Mobil 1 after I finish this case.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Re: POLL: Do you change your own oil?

Originally posted by purecoda
One more thing. Are there any warranty issues with changing your own oil? I've heard that if you don't have it documented by a certified company, it might void your engine warranty.
no there should be no warranty issues, but it can affect trade-in value where having documentation to prove that you have kept the regular scheduled maintenance should yield the highest trade-in value.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 01:02 PM

I use Mobil 1 Syn or Penzoil Syn both 5a-30w and for an oil filter i use Fram Xtrag Guard (model no. XG7317)....goe good with syn
Old Jan 22, 2003, 01:07 PM

Hey,
Thought I'd give my input. I use full synthetic and WIX filters, they are by far the best oil filter you can get. With synthetic oil you don't need to actually change the oil, just the filter. Also, I use a process called "sweetening" using Mystery Miracle Oil where you add half the bottle before the oil change, drive the car for the day. Change the filter and add back the oil and then add the other half of the bottle. Old trick from a guy I know who is a huge mechanical techie and has owned over 150 automobiles.

Keep it Real --Ken
Old Jan 22, 2003, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

If the Fram Xtra Gard is the one with the PTFE lubricant built-in, I'd stay away from it. It's like slick50 that's installed in the oil filter and will release into the oil system. There have been studies that show wax buildup from slick50 and similar products in oil galleries and bearings, causing adverse operation in the engine.

I can't remember if it's the Fram Xtra Gard our Double Gard that has the extra additive in it. I'd advise staying away from the one that does.

Some people swear by certain filters... I just buy what I can for my car. Usually the nicer Fram (but not the additive one) for tough duty or Purolator PureOne depending on whether I'm getting the filter from WallyWorld or PepBoys, and what's in stock. I have heard WIX are very good filters, though.

As for oil, use what the book recommends if possible. Colder climates probably want a 5w-30 so it's lighter on startup. Hotter climates 10w-40 so the oil doesn't thin out at the hot ambient temps. 10w-30 is almost always a good compromise. My girlfriend's volvo recommends 10w-40, probably because it's turbo, but I couldn't find that at either Pep Boys or WallyWorld, so I just settled on 10w-30.

You can go synthetic if you want, probably not necessary on a moderate-revving, non-turbo car. If you had a higher-rev car and/or turbo you'd probably want to think more about synthetic, especially turbo since those really contribute to the breakdown of the oil. I have heard that once you go synthetic, you shouldn't go back to conventional... not sure if that's true or not.

For the cost of an oil change at a local shop, you can probably do your own oil with synthetic (say 4 bucks a quart plus a couple bucks for the filter).

If you're serious about it, too, I'd recommend an easyoil drain valve. I have a Fumoto Valve on my car (you can search for that online) and it makes draining super easy. I think Fram makes a similar product now that you can buy in stores, not sure if they make it for many applications, though.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

I use Valvoline, full synthetic now (Used to use Dura-Blend) in 10W-30 Trim... I also use Bosch premium filters. Because I do this myself, I purchased a filter wrench, and a Fram Sure drain... It keeps me from having dropping the drain plug, and also keeps things clean.

As far as warranty goes, I just take notes in the manual, and specify dates, mileage, etc... I also keep the reciepts from the oil, filters, etc... That way you can show that it was done...
Old Jan 22, 2003, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

I go jiffy lube I couldn't get my hand in to change the filter.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by HobieKopek
I run Castrol synthetic blend. Why? Cuz it was cheaper then full synthetic. (At the time I was short on cash)

I'm going to move to Mobil 1 after I finish this case.
Did reading and it looks like Mobil 1 combines a lot of the best numbers as far as viscosity, temp at which it burns off...plus it's readily available unlike that Amsoil stuff which had even better numbers for the most part. Oil guides=fun. I swear by K&N filters seeing as I just ordered my 5th and 6th ones. Gonna have to grab the Mobil 1 tomorrow. I find it odd that some people don't change their own oil in the sense that it's fast, easy and satisfying. Same with rotating tires. Then again, not everyone has a hydraulic 3 ton floor jack.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

ROB281 needs to change his name to BEARPAW.

And as far as Jiffy Lube goes, I will never go there again. They put a HUGE and I mean HUGE scratch on my car. I didn't notice till like 3 days later though, because it was on the rear passenger side. Hence, I was SOL, and have yet one more damn thing in my life that wasn't my fault that costs me money. DAMN YOU PEOPLE FOR NOT BEING HONEST AND TELLING ME YOU SCRATCHED IT. AND I KNOW IT WAS YOU BECAUSE YOU HAD BLACK HOSE SCUFFS ON ALL THE BUMPER CORNERS AS WELL. I HATE YOU! I HATE JIFFY LUBE!

So anyway, does anyone know if once you go synthetic, you can't go back? I've never heard that before, and it sounds more like a sales pitch than truth to me.

D

Last edited by purecoda; Jan 22, 2003 at 04:00 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

i change my own, use fram filter, and castrol gtx (non-synth). synthetic oil in this car is a waste of money. so is getting a more expensive filter. the car will run fine with regular cheap old oil and cheap filter. there's no reason to waste money on synths and expensive filters especially if you maintain your car and service it at proper intervals.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

its easy..
mobil 1 fully synthetic! i have farm filter right now, going for boshe filter next time,
and change oil every 3k miles

Quick Reply: Do you change your own oil?