Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

anyone use an evo for daily driving?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2006, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
42k miles, 360whp, daily driven. The car has been rock solid reliable (knock on wood) with a clutch at 40k being the only major repair to date. It is sitting in my garage at the moment though, laid up with a GT3065 install in progress. (only rest it gets)
Old Jul 24, 2006, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

38k here, daily driven, and used like it. I use it for everything and to go everywhere. Too me, from what I wnet from it's a great daily driver. Seast hold you very well, nice support and comfy, lots of room in the back, nice trunk. Great lights at night, good all around visability. OK MPG.

I couldn't ask for too much more really.

No problems here so far.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sucks for a DD IMO. The car is a blast to drive fast if you take that out of the equation it sucks. To drive it at a steady state 70mph with no cruise, the thunk of expansion joints, it's noisy cabin it is just not enjoyable. I like driving the minivan to work more than the EVO.....if I'm not going to play on the way there. That's the key though.

It's much more relaxing to drive a smooth, quiet, automatic car with cruise at 70mph than a high strung 4 cyl, no cruise, bumpy, and noisy cabin I can't see anyone disagreeing with that.

EVO's are fun if you drive them fast other than that give me a G35 etc.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:54 AM

I read earlier about their handling and how great it was, does the handling of this car equal that of a corvette? I know my corvette is one of the best handling vehicles that i ever drove.
You really need to drive an evo. It was much better for me to go to a car dealership that sells evos all the time and ask a salesmen to take me out and show me why the car was so great. That way you have an experienced driver behind the wheel that is not afraid to mess up their new car(at least both of salesmen i've driven with). After that you'll understand there is really no comparision. The most fun I had was swerving back and forth on a bumpy gravel road doing 50.
-MT
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

It's my daily driver and I love it. The only shame is I have to keep it cool to stay safe and below the radar.

Yesterday I took my family, all five of us on a 300+ mile round trip to the coast and back in the Evo, and we all were pretty happy. I kinda wish it had cruise control but honestly, the way traffic keeps slowing down and speeding up I don't use it much when I'm in a car that has it.

The a/c worked well, the ride quality was fine and the passing power was massive. Some patches of the road were rough but most of the highways were comfortable enough. Overall, it was a nice drive, not too fatiguing.

Last edited by Rod Munch; Jul 24, 2006 at 11:01 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do feel somewhat guilty driving it to work in traffic- very few opportunities to use it as intended. Like having a **** star GF that you can't touch. But, that one time in the trip you can take a turn at a spirited rate makes it worth the other 25 minutes of driving it like it was a Camry.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

What Steve said. +1,000.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jasil
It sucks for a DD IMO. The car is a blast to drive fast if you take that out of the equation it sucks. To drive it at a steady state 70mph with no cruise, the thunk of expansion joints, it's noisy cabin it is just not enjoyable. I like driving the minivan to work more than the EVO.....if I'm not going to play on the way there. That's the key though.

It's much more relaxing to drive a smooth, quiet, automatic car with cruise at 70mph than a high strung 4 cyl, no cruise, bumpy, and noisy cabin I can't see anyone disagreeing with that.

EVO's are fun if you drive them fast other than that give me a G35 etc.
I could see where you are coming from on this but for me I never knew the difference. My EVO was my first new car and compared to my '93 Mirage the thing is quiet, rides good, and just feels a lot more like a nice new car. Now going from a beater to this if feels great. If I had a G35 or something and then got into this then I would probably agree with you. Luckily for me I never did and therefore never knew what I was missing (so to speak). I love my EVO as a daily driver! No problems at all, not even on long trips.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

I bought my MR for the sheer exhilaration of its contact with the road. The only car I've driven that is in the same ballpark was a new Porsche 997. If anything, the MR is a better DD than the Porsche, and who would turn down one of those for a DD?

Cruise control is highly overrated, imo. As someone else pointed out, it's rare find more than a few miles of highway that doesn't require some throttle down, anyway. I got 25 mpg from the mountainsto the beach and back - drove 65-75 most of the time, with occasional bursts to 90-plus, and had a blast with three people, lots of baggage and some pets on board. Great, great DD, imo.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:06 PM
UCB
Evolved Member

having driven a lowered modded sti for a year, the evo is cake walk

The longer gears in form the 5-speed are nice too
Old Jul 24, 2006, 01:12 PM
kip

6K daily-driving miles on my IX now and I love it. My daily commute includes bumper to bumper sections and 70+mph sections. It's really fun to drive. I drive it everywhere, down to LA and back 800+ miles no problem. The seat is very comfortable.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bdub25
Many people have 500whp daily drivers that do just fine. Evo's are great for daily drivers.
My car drives around every day at 560 whp and its the best daily driver.. No complaints here, its all in the tunning and sean glazar did just that
Old Jul 24, 2006, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Unless your EVO is ***** to the wall gutted and modified with a brutal suspension and requires race gas at all times, why not drive it every day? It's a 4 door sedan, it's meant to be a commuter car that can also perform. My M3 sticker price was about double an EVO and I had no problem driving it every day.. it's just a car.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

my wife and i both use it on a daily basis some days i take the evo and she takes the sti or the opposite
Old Jul 24, 2006, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by -=SPECTRE=-
Unless your EVO is ***** to the wall gutted and modified with a brutal suspension and requires race gas at all times, why not drive it every day? It's a 4 door sedan, it's meant to be a commuter car that can also perform. My M3 sticker price was about double an EVO and I had no problem driving it every day.. it's just a car.
i was driving my last race car everyday, cage, 900lb springs,semi gutted. i got tired of it and sold it though

Quick Reply: anyone use an evo for daily driving?