Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

I can't decided between a 04 cobra or a evo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2006, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I can't decided between a 04 cobra or a evo

ok, so it has been killing me trying to figure out which one I want. I know this question has probably been brought up before, I just couldn't find a thread that was similar, so I decided to make one. Seeing that this is a evo site, I already know what you guys chose. I just need help in the decision. With a 04 cobra it doesn't take much money to get up to 600 hp, but does it cost a lot in a evo, and is it realiable? I want the evo also because I live in Utah, and I rather only drive one vehicle, instead of getting two because that cobra will not touch the snow.

So in 1/4, should I choose the cobra or the evo? Like I said before, I don't know very much on evos and I have been trying to read up on them. Except this forum is huge, and is nearly impossible to search without getting a thousand threads . Anyway, try to take it easy on me, and please help me out. Thanks
Old Oct 1, 2006, 12:43 AM

If drag racing is your thing, than the Cobra is your best bet. It is easy to make those things fast.
If a practical vehicle that can still be made fast, than the Evo is what you want.

Heres how I see it;
Cobra:
Pros: Fast. Big supercharged v8. Rock solid engine. 700+hp on stock internals. Sounds amazing. Big smokey burnouts. Bolt on tons of horsepower. Very mod friendly.
Cons: Super small inside. Useless back seats. Useless in the snow. Rear tires dont seem to last too long.

Evo:
Pros: Fast. Turbo. 500+ hp on stock internals. AWD. Handles amazing. Traction. Year round vehicle. Four doors. Bolt on good amounts of horsepower. Very mod friendly.
Cons: Launching AWD is hard on a clutch. No big smokey burnouts. A little turbo lag.

I think that is all.
Evolved Member

dude, hands down if you want a 1/4 mile car GET THE COBRA.

The Evo motor is a 2.0L I4 vs the (???)5.6L Supercharged v8.

get the cobra, put $500 into it and run 10's
Evolved Member

The EVO is the best all around car for the best price on the market. The Cobra is nice but if taken to an Auto X/ Road Course or other racing event it is out of place the EVO can do anything and with street tires. The times in my sig where with 3-4k in mods and I have handed plenty of high end cars there butts at the strip.

Good luck on your choice,

-Nate
Old Oct 1, 2006, 12:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DreamLike1
dude, hands down if you want a 1/4 mile car GET THE COBRA.

The Evo motor is a 2.0L I4 vs the (???)5.6L Supercharged v8.

get the cobra, put $500 into it and run 10's
500 will get you a filter and a chip. Not tires, not clutch, not pulley, not catback, not headers, not X pipe...it adds up fast...

its a 4.6 btw

If you want a FUN performance car...evo.. If you want something for freeway runs and drag strip racing...cobra. IRS blows in the cobra though and the interior is the same as the GT.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 12:54 AM
Account Disabled

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ighlight=Cobra

In Utah I'd be all over the Evo but I love the tuning potential of that Cobra. Awesome car.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 12:55 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
evo is not intended to be a drag car...yes they can be but it's not the purpose...get a stang and get a beater

I think that is the best bet or you
Old Oct 1, 2006, 12:59 AM
Evolved Member

Like chaotic said. Evo = not a drag car. It just happens to do very well at it.
Its all a matter of the type of driving you want. If you like to fishtail, kill people from a roll, and have awesome times at the drag strip, for little money, then the cobra is your best bet. But gotta remember, interior = cheap, cheaper then a evo, and thats saying something...
If you want something that is good in every aspect, then the evo is your choice.
Figure out what you want out of the car, and then we can help you.
But seeing as you are in Utah, and snow, thatd be almost impossible to drive the cobra. So unless you wanna get a winter beater, then you might of just answered your own question.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 01:02 AM
Evolved Member

cobrta all the way i wish i had one
Old Oct 1, 2006, 01:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DontRevMe
500 will get you a filter and a chip. Not tires, not clutch, not pulley, not catback, not headers, not X pipe...it adds up fast...

its a 4.6 btw

If you want a FUN performance car...evo.. If you want something for freeway runs and drag strip racing...cobra. IRS blows in the cobra though and the interior is the same as the GT.

i was being sarcastic, but thanks anyways
Old Oct 1, 2006, 01:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DreamLike1
i was being sarcastic, but thanks anyways
I know, i didnt mean it to sound like an attack, but it annoys me how people think you can drop octane boost in a cobra or supra and run 7's in the mile.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 01:34 AM
Evolved Member

Evo is the all around car in this comparison, whereas the Cobra seems 1 dimensional next to the Evo - the only area it shines in is straightline speed.

the Evo could be made comparable to the Cobra's in acceleration, and at that point the Evo will still have many more edges (practicality, versatility, handling)

it comes down to if u just want a ***** out fast car on the highway, or an all around car that could be made to be ***** out fast and at the same time being dominating at local race tracks and fun in snow/gravel.

lastly and most importantly...drive both cars back to back, because it comes down to what YOU like not which car is faster in a straight line or handles better...good luck
Old Oct 1, 2006, 01:35 AM

cobra for 1/4 mile
Old Oct 1, 2006, 01:38 AM
Evolved Member

Just for your info, my prev car was a cam'd nitrous Ls1 camaro...in the 130 trap speed range..and a stock evo is just flat out more fun to drive..IMO
Old Oct 1, 2006, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly, I thought I needed a 4dr 4wd car here in michigan just for the winters and having enough room to drive stuff/people around, but I grossly overestimated my need in that regard. Now don't get me wrong, I'm still glad I got my evo, but I managed 3 winters in hilly upstate New York with my old mustang and I managed ok. Some drives were a little hairy, but all but a couple days in the winter I was fine. Granted, it was only a GT and not a Cobra, but its not much of a difference when your just giving it enough gas to get going. My firend does the same thing here in Michigan with his 01 cobra. You just need some snow tires, some thinner rims (off a GT or V6 something) and your all set.

The thing you really need to think about is whether you want a car thats persoanlly satisfying for you to drive, or a car that is a little more impressive to others. Honestly, the evo is just flat out more fun to drive. Its not incredibly fast on the street unless you dump money into it, its pretty ugly and juvenile looking, your DEFINITELY NOT going to impress any girls with it, its not all that comfortable, and your guy friends who arent as much into cars are going to think your kind of a clown for driving it....but its a ton of fun. The stang is kinda the opposite. It can hold its own on a road course with a good driver, but its handling feel is not impressive. However, if you just want to rip some good 1/4 mile times, impress your buds and just generally have a fast, cool car...the stang is your pick.

Getting the evo up to 600hp is hit or miss. Some people dont seem to have too many problems, others, its just one thing after another. And its expensive.

Last edited by Mercenary3; Oct 1, 2006 at 12:35 PM.

Quick Reply: I can't decided between a 04 cobra or a evo