Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Just changed plugs, car won't start??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2006, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
has he cleared the codes and ran the car? If the codes come back up...obviously we have a true issue
Old Dec 27, 2006, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jude
I just installed the new plugs from the dealer and the car is still running like crap. I rented an OBDII scanner and I'm pulling a P0500 code. It says that there are two codes but that's the only one coming up. I searched for it and came up with speedo sensor malfunction. WTF?? It's a crappy pocket scanner so it doesn't tell me too much but it listed some other stuff like 02 sensor, fuel, EGR etc. I'm not sure if it is trying to tell me that my 02 sensor is screwed or what. Any ideas?
When you scan the car sometimes the same code comes up twice, that perfectly normal. Also dont worry about all the other readiness monitors, those are really there to tell you will you are ready for OBD2 inspection. Just worry about the code you pulled and try to find out what caused it.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did have the clutch replaced last year. I've had a check engine light since I got flashed by Turbo Trix, turns out there was a missfire. I took my car in to the dealership for an oil change shortly thereafter and they asked me if I wanted them to reflash it to get rid of the code but i told them not to since I wouldn't be able to get the TT flash redone for a while. I had the clutch installed after the flash so it would make sense that the sensor might have been disconnected by the guy who did the install. However, I haven't noticed anything wierd about the speedo or tach...wouldn't I have noticed something?? I'm going to check it out when I get home. Has anyone noticed their car running like a two stroke from a speed sensor being disconnected?
Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Okay, update...I pulled the plugs yesterday and it seems that cylinders 1 and 3 look clean but 2 and 4 look like crap. I'm talking blackness. So, does this mean that the 2 and 4 cylinders (the ones with the actual coil over them) aren't firing? I'm looking into replacing the coils and wires as my next step, what do you guys think?? I took out the battery and tray and the speed sensor looks to be plugged in. I drove the car around the block but there are no codes being thrown. Oh, and as an added bonus, I left the coil cover off of the engine and rats ate through the foam cylinder aroun the pass. side spark wire and almost chewed into the wire itelf. Now there's rat poop all over the valve cover. Damn dirty rats.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

if 2 and 4 are black then they are firing but it shows you are running rich in those 2 cyllinders.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jude
Okay, update...I pulled the plugs yesterday and it seems that cylinders 1 and 3 look clean but 2 and 4 look like crap. I'm talking blackness. So, does this mean that the 2 and 4 cylinders (the ones with the actual coil over them) aren't firing? I'm looking into replacing the coils and wires as my next step, what do you guys think?? I took out the battery and tray and the speed sensor looks to be plugged in. I drove the car around the block but there are no codes being thrown. Oh, and as an added bonus, I left the coil cover off of the engine and rats ate through the foam cylinder aroun the pass. side spark wire and almost chewed into the wire itelf. Now there's rat poop all over the valve cover. Damn dirty rats.
Hungry Rodents on the prowl.

The blackness is obviously from those cylinders not firing.

It would be nice if you had a set of coils/wires to swap out before
buying a new set. You can always check for spark and/or check
the ohm resistence on the coils.

Hopefully there are pulses coming out of the ECU to the coil.

With that said, for the most part, you seem headed in the right direction.

Last edited by Spec'd; Dec 29, 2006 at 12:00 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

You would think that I would get a CEL if there were no pulses. No one lives anywhere near Duncanville or I would try to switch 'em out before shelling out cash for new ones. Thanks for the responses guys.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

I noticed a picture that had the coils sitting on #2 and #4 but #2 was firing #3 and #4 was firing #1. Is that right? How are yours set up?
Old Jan 6, 2007, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

he's using the latest carbon fiber tipped spark plugs
Old Jan 23, 2008, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by o.e.boost
did you unplug the coil packs while installing the plugs and possibly forgot to plug them back in?...i would try to install the old ones in and see if it starts back up!!!
HAHA I did that last night and when I started the car up this morning I was like wtf and well started hitting these threads I was thinking maybe I f'd up a boot or didnt seat one good enough. Soon as I read your post like a slap in the face duh I forgot to plug it in