Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Why should I get an evoVIII over an e36 M3?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why should I get an evoVIII over an e36 M3?

I've been going back and forth for months. I hate asking questions that pertain to personal preference, objectivity and car comparisons but I honestly need help. Every day I see the wonders of the evo, whether it's that video of the 2.4 sk'd 4g63 at 30psi walking a paxton supercharged viper or just of some kid plowing through 8 inches of snow.. I just want the VIII. But then again there is something about that 1998 M3/4/5. Four doors, Five speed. A subtle sport sedan that can more than handle its own. There's just something about the luxury that BMW offers. There isn't too much on the inside of the evo besides the seats and steering wheel.. and its not the most comfortable ride for a daily driver. The bimmer is an upscale interior with a solid motor.

I don't know, convince me?
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:29 AM
Evolved Member

whats with these convincing threads lately?

well there is more than enough information on here for you to make you own decision...
its pretty easy tho over a 98 m3...
weight/horspower..
handling
price for modding
RWD/AWD

i mean evo wins outright period..... not much to think about
GL with the decision!

Last edited by 4g63smokinall4s; Jan 4, 2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 03:50 AM
MiX

awd for the win, now it was the bmw yeah, but not the older models. but just depends what floats your boat
Old Jan 4, 2010, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

who said the evo is not comfortable?
Old Jan 4, 2010, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

the m3 is probably going to be cheaper, so if your on a budget ... but maintenance and upgrades will be more expensive than an evo.

If you just looking for a fun car and really love rwd, then get the m3.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evremonde
but maintenance and upgrades will be more expensive than an evo.
Yeah, that ^. Maybe an older BMW will be a little cheaper since you might find some junkyard parts but I went to a X from an 01 325xi because the parts were just killing me. The amount of aftermarket available for the VIII is unreal...new or used, you can find a ton of parts.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 08:21 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by thebillsman
There's just something about the luxury that BMW offers. There isn't too much on the inside of the evo besides the seats and steering wheel.. and its not the most comfortable ride for a daily driver. The bimmer is an upscale interior with a solid motor.
Don't buy an Evo.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

The BMW also has an old school interior even if it is upscale. The interior in those had been around since the early 90's. The HVAC, Radio, Display are all pretty old school. Also, your leather will probably be stress cracked and weathered.

I've owned both cars and although there is something cool and fun about the E36, the evo is so much more car. More practical. Bigger. More reliable. Wayyy way faster. Easier to drive fast. Newer. etc etc
Old Jan 4, 2010, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

EVO for sure and not just because this is an EVO forum. The BMW's are okay however a buddy of mine has owned both the EVO IX and the M3 sedan. He chose the Evo over the M3. AWD FTW!
Old Jan 4, 2010, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

It really depends on what your going to do with the car, or what you want from it. It sounds as if the M3 might be a better choice for you.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

I've owned two E36 M's in the past and currently trying to switch back to an E36 M3 but the one I'm going after already has the euro S50B32 motor.

Someone mentioned that the maintenance on the BMW will be higher. That's not entirely true. I spent about $650 for the LTW front rotors and pads and it's going to be about that if not more to change them on the Evo - based off going with Girodisc rotors. I can't say that neither M3's left me hanging on the side of the road where my Evo has.....twice.

The initial cost of an E36 will be much less than an Evo as well. Get what fits best within your finances and suits what your going for.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

i had a yellow 1997 M3 and as much as i loved the car i hated how super expensive the parts were, at one time (4yrs ago) i remember a full exhaust was around $2300, a cold air intake i paid $425...top of the line stuff but ridiculously expensive, and lets not even talk about the normal maintenance i had to do..evo ftw thats my opinion.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 09:54 AM

Well lets look at it this way....if you want something that handles like a dream in any wheather and we are even talking about when the streets are covers in ice and snow, something light, something that looks like it will tear threw the streets, and thats noticable...not only that but we are talking one of the best 4cyl motors ever made that can pack one hell of a punch anytime and anywhere, not only that, but so much fun to modifiiiiiiii hmmmmmmm lets take another look at this...I would go for the Evo, but thats me.

If your looking for something much less than I would either wait or go with the M3 which no doubt about it, it is a nice car but think of the year. If you have the money to keep it going than go for it.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:34 PM

the thing is, M3/4/5's can be found for $6000 to $16000 and that would be a great car to work on. The only Evo's that really fit my budget are high mileage 03 VIII's or rebuilds and they're both a big risk. I've ever really strayed from my BMW roots so it's tough to go out and buy a japanese turbo 4.

its a real predicament.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 09:41 PM

evo ftw

bmw is good stuff but that's old

Quick Reply: Why should I get an evoVIII over an e36 M3?