Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Which Tranny/diff fluid should i use to rid my viii of notchy shifts

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Tranny/diff fluid should i use to rid my viii of notchy shifts

Just bought a 04' evo viii the other day , finally decided to ditch the Suby...but damn I can't get over the fact of how notchy the shifting is...of course it is worse in the early morning when it is 35* outside but even when the fluid warms up it still isn't as smooth as i would like it to be....

Has anyone noticed a fluid that has yealded smoother shifts...or should i stick with the extremely expensive diaqueen? by the way what is up with that like $85 for some fluid...is it that good?

I've seen posts of people how like diaqueen, amsoil, royal purple ect. blah blah i dont care about quicker shifts and all that, i just want a oil that feels like im not beating the Sh*t out of my syncros every morning.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:14 PM

oh other thing i noticed after getting home last night...i was in first parking, threw it into reverse and almost right when i went backwards there was a strange clunking noise similar to that of a broke cv-joint...just 1 clunk not multiple ones...i then when into first and forward and it did the same thing...sounded like it was coming from the right side but couldn't tell if it was in front or the rear. Anyone come across this before?
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Cold weather is probably the biggest culprit; but let's start small:

1 - Check your clutch engagement. If I remember correctly they only want 1/8" of play before engagement ... Be sure to be ultra conservative with all of those foot hovering above pedal shifts, resting foot on pedal between shifts, as pulling out virtually all of the slop will cause you to ride the clutch if you're not careful.

2 - Upgraded shifter box bushings will help make the shift knob hold more true during a shift. I know shifters are religion in themselves, but first things first and get that box properly bushing-ed.

3 - Kartboy I think has a bushing set for the shifter linkages at the transmission. I put in solid ones, but have also shifted a few EVOs with polys in there. The polys work fine.

4 - When shifting try to imagine an engine loaded or unloaded on its mounts. Where the engine is twisting relative to the transmission will influence your shifts. Try to pick points in the rpm range and loading where the car is not jerking excessively before or during a shift. I've zingged my 1 - 2 shift one too many times just because I didn't wait that 500rpm more.

5 - The EVO can be power shifted but I don't recommend it. Practice the clutch in, grab out of gear, slot into next gear, let out clutch technique. If anything I know a lot of people like at least a little extra weight on the shifter ball which is reasonable. Shift kits can be had, but that's religion as well. Start with the shift technique, then see if you need to customize, imho. The EVO tranny is definitely not an Acura in finesse, but it sure is a lot more durable than others I've shifted, including my gf's Matrix.

6 - Fluids --- *sigh* a point of religion as well, but I've not found anything better than stock / fresh Penz Synchromesh. It does take quite a few miles to properly warm, and once its there the tranny is butter smooth. Where the different oils shine is literally in their warm up time or lack there of. One oil I did try at the beginning of my EVO's life was Amsoil. It did great cold, but once it warmed I felt a lot of metal to metal type vibrations. It was unnerving enough I went back to Penz.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Never used anything other than Penzoil Syncromesh in my trans. I change it out about every 2nd-3rd oil change. 120k stock tranny
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Amsoil MTG is pretty notchy when cold, but smoothes out when warm, not what id call butter tho. about to install new clutch, switching to redline shockproof per AMS reccomendation... will let u know how it works out
Old Feb 3, 2010, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
since you just got the car. its good to change all your fluids. for your tc and rear diff i suggest sticking with the oem diaqueen lsd fluid. as for the tranny you could try their suggestions. my friends with 5speed use Penzoil Syncromesh. it is cheap so if you don't like it you could change to something else. as for the clunking noise i would suggest start with the fluid changes and see if it is still there after that.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 01:54 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
AMSOIL has always been way better when cold than my old BG fluids. I couldn't even get the car into gear on that stuff when it started getting into real IL winter temps.

I stick with AMSOIL, but if not that I would use the Mitsu fluid out of personal preference.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 04:27 PM

oh cool thanks alot guys glad to hear you have 120k on ur tranny...i thought mine was on its way to the junkyard with the way it feels hahah...so penzoil huh? sounds good to me...and ur right if i dont like it it is cheap do where it wont bother me that much to change it out.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 05:34 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fostytou
AMSOIL has always been way better when cold than my old BG fluids. I couldn't even get the car into gear on that stuff when it started getting into real IL winter temps.

I stick with AMSOIL, but if not that I would use the Mitsu fluid out of personal preference.
you have people that say BG shifts better, and then you have a mayority that says AMSOIL shifts better cold and even nicer warm.

this comes to show that people need to check all mechanical aspects of the car before pointing at a fluid.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

i used redline lightweight shockproof in my tranny and redline heavyweight shockproof in my tcase.... i never had wines and shifted awesome..i was making 500+ on pump gas stock tranny and tcase.... i know driver has alot to do with how long they will last but fluids also help the factor.... i will use redline products only.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

i just got mitsu diaqueens in my tcase and rear diff, amsoil in my transmission. feels good.

the loud clunk you get in the morning is usually from the e-brake binding alittle from clamping on the rear brakes all night. its a common but minor issue on most evos but does not cause problems.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 12:46 AM
Evolved Member

I used Redline fluids...MTL x 2 and MOST IMPORTANT...MT90 x 1. Shifts like butta..My friend used just straight MTL and continues to be locked out in the morning
Old Feb 14, 2010, 01:51 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
I had the same problems with my trans (80k) then I put in shifter base bushings, short shifter and amsoil MTG fluid and my problem really hasn't gone away. My last line of testing is the underhood bushings and steel braided clutch line. If that doesn't fix it then the problem with notchy shifting is either a beat clutch or abused syncros.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Look into changing the bushings since it's a 04, too. AMSOil is your best bet for smooth shifts.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

its been about a week now since i installed new clutch and replaced all fluids. ive installed an exedy stage 2 fourpuck with the hd pressure plate and an exedy lightweght flywheel, and filled the tranny with lw shockproof then the tc and rear with hd shockprooof. shifts great and smooth, granted i havent taken it past 4k and no boost till ive gone past the reccomened 500 mile breakin.

Quick Reply: Which Tranny/diff fluid should i use to rid my viii of notchy shifts