Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

A bit about me and my upcoming mods! evo IX

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2010, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A bit about me and my upcoming mods! evo IX

So I got about $1800 to spend on suspension and some other misc. stuff. I basically need some opinions on brands and what works. I'm a daily driver and weekend "Canyon Rat"(I'm not doing track,drag,highway, shoot I never even launched yet hahaha well I did in the dirt but whatever). I have a 06' WW EVO IX GSR. I bought the IX used from the dealer with a five star warranty from the dealer ( five star means more is covered, fancy pamphlet, 5 year 100,000miles) I made this decision because ummm ITS A USED EVO LOL. I didn't want to run into any costly problems or sketchy warranty problems( which i did, struts went out, and they changed no problem $2000+ saved) and that would give me enough time to save for when I put in the big horsepower/bling mods. . This meant I was keeping the IX somewhat stock( yes stock it is my decision based upon my quest to truly learn the original (stock) characteristics of the IX and COPS). I believe the IX is a godly machine that is more then enough for the canyons, so it didn't hurt to bad watching all you people pimp your EVOS. My IX came with after market cat back exhaust and after market clutch and possibly a flywheel and Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position tires. The car was leased before me, Maintenance was done, no repair history and it looked like it was treated the best upon inspection, compared to 90% of EVOS out there.

Its been a year now and in that year I didn't crash my IX( everyone I knew crashed there evo.... WHY?) and I was having tons of fun in the canyons and learning something new every time i went up. I basically learned the most i could with the tires i had and its time now to buy some tires. I want to help my body roll , brake fade, tires, under steer. my main goal is to improve corner speed and add over steer.! Here are some brands i thought about getting.

Rotors-Girodisc slotted(dont know which ones to get)

PADS-Dont know yet

Sway Bars or Adjustable Sways maybe CUSCO

Strut Bars- I heard i dont need with sway bar.

Bushings- Dont know which ones would help me.

Tires-G force, or Dunlop star spec

I just bought EXEDY stage 1 clutch, GRUPPE flywheel and ESPELIR GT SPRINGS.

I was going to get Megan track coilovers but my friends keep talking me out of it. But people on here so they ok.

Any feedback would be great thanks.
Attached Thumbnails A bit about me and my upcoming mods! evo IX-img_4589.jpg   A bit about me and my upcoming mods! evo IX-dsc06213.jpg   A bit about me and my upcoming mods! evo IX-dsc06219.jpg   A bit about me and my upcoming mods! evo IX-dsc06220.jpg  
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK hear is some very good advice from someone that has been around and seen a lot:

Girodisc- great rotors. expensive, but great. you may want to look into DBA 4000 series
Pads- I run (as do many many many evo owners) Ferodo DS2500 pads on the street. they are a little noisey but bite very well. you may wanna invest in braided lines and a high temp brake fluid (motul RBF600 is a good one) depending on how long and often you carve the caynons.
Sways- try Swifts antiroll bars. I would just get the rear. cusco is great as well. get an adjustable though
Bushings- you don't really need these right now, maybe underhood shifter bushings
Tires- There are only 3 tires I recommend for the street. Bridgestone RE-11, Dunlop Star Spec, Advan AD08. I run the Dunlops and love em!! Best bang for the buck! the Bridgestones outperform the others but they are pricey! Forget the g-force (wimpy tire)
Exedy makes good clutches. you should be fine with that. with the springs, you may want to look into a Whiteline roll center kit. those springs are right on the cusp of being too low. still a quality spring though for sure.
Lastly, I can not stress this enough, stay away from crappy coils! stay away from coils period! you will NEVER use their full potential on the street. but if you must have ride height adjustment I think the best coils for the street are the KW v3. well honestly the Ohlins DFV but they are waaaaay too pricy for what you would do with them. I hear good things about the Bilstein PSS10 too. but I would stick to the KW. most well rounded for the street, next to the Ohlins.

Hope that helps! Happy Modding!
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:25 PM

Wow thanks alot Hikaru straight to the point. Ok no coilovers then. I will change to steel braided and motul rbf600. The springs i have, are they the works gt?

Do you recommend anything else for canyon use?
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:30 PM

Whats a good price rotor thats slotted. one piece two piece?
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Adding and upgrading parts will definetly help improve your handling and cornering stability but a good QUALITY alignment is also something that should definetly be done also...i play with my alignment almost every weekend jus depends on what kind of driving im doing and it always pays off
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

Two piece rotors usually have an aluminum hat to help dissipate heat. You won't need that on the street. Stick with one piece. I like the DBA 4000 series rotors. It's their mid level brake. Very functional, looks good, factory fitment.

Springs- do you have Works springs? or Espelir springs? I tend to push Swift springs or GT Worx springs. Neither lower the car too much and are designed very well. These are pretty much the go-to springs for the evo. Robi makes good springs and I have a friend that really likes his Espelir but I and many others run Swifts.

As far as recommending something for canynon use, just get use to your car! change one thing at a time and see how the car reacts. If you just throw all you mods on at once and then go drive it's so hard to tell what to adjust, what changed for better or worst.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TurboTim06
Adding and upgrading parts will definetly help improve your handling and cornering stability but a good QUALITY alignment is also something that should definetly be done also...i play with my alignment almost every weekend jus depends on what kind of driving im doing and it always pays off
Yes Yes! This too! I forgot to mention it. It's late in ATL...lol.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:40 PM

When you say "play with" how so? lol, like your camber! I need to look around for a good alignment shop! Does anybody know?
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Hikaru
Two piece rotors usually have an aluminum hat to help dissipate heat. You won't need that on the street. Stick with one piece. I like the DBA 4000 series rotors. It's their mid level brake. Very functional, looks good, factory fitment.

Springs- do you have Works springs? or Espelir springs? I tend to push Swift springs or GT Worx springs. Neither lower the car too much and are designed very well. These are pretty much the go-to springs for the evo. Robi makes good springs and I have a friend that really likes his Espelir but I and many others run Swifts.

As far as recommending something for canynon use, just get use to your car! change one thing at a time and see how the car reacts. If you just throw all you mods on at once and then go drive it's so hard to tell what to adjust, what changed for better or worst.
I have Espelir! so Works does not make Espelir? I like those rotors thanks!
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dbar4G63IX
When you say "play with" how so? lol, like your camber! I need to look around for a good alignment shop! Does anybody know?
yea i dont change it too much when im street driving but when i take it to the track or have a weekend set for autocross ill throw a little more negative camber in and run a little toe-in...imma auto tech tho so i get free use of the alignment rack at my work which makes it real easy..i wouldnt recommend adjusting alignment settings unless your experienced with it or have a professional to help
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:55 PM

yea i dont change it too much when im street driving but when i take it to the track or have a weekend set for autocross ill throw a little more negative camber in and run a little toe-in...imma auto tech tho so i get free use of the alignment rack at my work which makes it real easy..i wouldnt recommend adjusting alignment settings unless your experienced with it or have a professional to help
O I SEE! should i consider camber plates?
Old Apr 24, 2010, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

camber plates aren't really necessary for what u wanna do. Just find a good alignment shop. You can get some good alignments outta the stock setup. I run -1.8 camber in front and -1 camber in rear with 0 toe and 0 caster.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hikaru
camber plates aren't really necessary for what u wanna do. Just find a good alignment shop. You can get some good alignments outta the stock setup. I run -1.8 camber in front and -1 camber in rear with 0 toe and 0 caster.
agreed!
Old Apr 24, 2010, 03:37 PM

Great! well at least I know what I need, I hate buying useless parts. Another thing I was PONDERING about, improving throttle response. My EG had perfect throttle response but i believe thats based on it being a all motor FF, compared to a turbo. I guess what I should be asking is what can I upgrade to increase power in lower rpms. Should i just through on down pipe, exhuast, intake, coil packs, and get tuned or leave stock and get tuned. O and what is good high performance exhuast that wont get me a ticket. As far as looks are concerned something small. I will invest in alignment thanks!!!
Old Apr 24, 2010, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

for performance- turbo back exhaust, manual boost controller, high flow air filter, walbro fuel pump, and tune. That is THE stage one set of mods for the evo and will see the most hp gain per dollar. you may want to get a better lower intercooler pipe as it will help a little with spool. there are a million exhaust systems out there. pick one that fits these criteria: stainless steel, minimal bends, good welds, good fitment, a full 3 inch diameter the whole length of the exhaust. muffler style and sound should be of secondary consideration. I personally have a Megan exhaust and love it. Greddy Ti-C is another great exhaust. AMS makes a great one, there are a ton man....

Quick Reply: A bit about me and my upcoming mods! evo IX