Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Why are there so many Evo Xs for sale...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2010, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heavyD
Too many people that can barely afford these cars buy them.
I think you have a part of it...the other point about pre-family guys buying one and then having to trade in is also a factor. The type of guy that can afford to buy an Evo and then mod the **** out of it (the only really good reason to own one) can also afford to buy pretty much any other car. That leaves you with a niche that really has a thing for Japanese AWD cars and that is a fairly limited market.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 02:30 PM

Well, this is all speculation, but when you produce too many cars in 2008 (enough for the manufacturer not to have a 2009 model), it is supply and demand. Many people who bought these cars because they got a great deal on them since the new market was flooded, those same poeple shorty afterward realized it wasnt the car that they wanted. With that said, I doubt you will see many 2010's for sale 2 years from now, as most of the buyers fit the niche market this car is for.

Last edited by simulatedwood; Apr 28, 2010 at 02:45 PM. Reason: I cant spell
Old Apr 28, 2010, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

I want an evo X, but would have to give up my ix, but not sure if I want to give it up. I'd get an octane blue tho...
Old Apr 28, 2010, 02:41 PM

Its a crying shame to lose a EVO
Old Apr 28, 2010, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

cause the people is broke LOL
Old Apr 29, 2010, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Hell, even my X was worth more than I owed, but the monthly cost is pretty high.

There weren't many for sale in my area, plus I had my fill of it having had it two years (which is all the more I keep cars it seems). Now I don't have the $600-$800 monthly cost (payment plus consumables plus insurance).
There will always be evos for sale- they cost a premium.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:34 AM

Evo X's like S2000's can be an impulse buy. You could go to mitsu and be looking for an outlander but spot the EVO X. The average person is BLOWN away by the evo's speed and handling so they buy one on the spot. So 6 months later they realize the car is loud and annoying and since they have no real passion for "driving fast" they think the car is a waste of money.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

I can't see anyone getting tricked into an Evo X.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 11:09 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
This is easy, its just stages of life.

When we had no kids, I had an Evo VIII with every mod I could think of, a 30R, running 11s on the pump gas map. I hung out with my car friends all the time!

When we had our first child, my Evo IX was only bolt on mods, but I did a ton of stuff with it (dyno days, hanging out with my car friends at least every other weekend, etc)

With two kids, I have an Evo X with just an exhaust and a flash, and ZERO time to mess with it or appreciate it. I carpool with the wife to save money, and it took me an entire year to put 8500 miles on it. Those miles are to and from work during rush hour traffic, with no opportunity to stretch its legs. In the rare case I am out on the weekends, my kids are in the car, and there is no way I am driving fast. Then there is the money issue:
Daycare: $1400 a month
Forumla: $200 a month
Kids food/clothes/diapers/doctor visits/toys: $300 a month.

Since Evo VIII days, my financial responsibilities went up $2k a month, and my time went down to zero.

Having a track based car like this to commute 8500 miles a year is the epitome of waste. I'd love to get rid of it, but didn't have any luck.

Until my kids get a little older, a $25k stickering wanna be performance car like a GTI that gets 31mpg makes so much more sense than a $35k stickering Evo that gets 23mpg.

Its a payment and operation cost I can no longer justify. Unfortunately, I am a little upside down in this economy, and am stuck with it for another 6-12 months.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Unfortunately, I am a little upside down in this economy, and am stuck with it for another 6-12 months.
Dude, my sentiments exactly. When it straightens itself out its gone ASAP for an older M3 or something. Not knocking the Evo, its awesome, I just have far more important things to spend time on or with. I think thats echoed a bunch with the resale of certain performance cars. People get in it beacuse its almost an impulse knowing you're getting immediate kick-back of awesome speed. But then once the novelty wears down you step back and go "That was fun, but now what?" and the interest and justification is lanced.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

well guys, I'm just waiting until i paydown my current car so i can sell it without taking a huge loss and I will be in the market for an 08 gsr. I've wanted one since 07 and went through a 09 lancer, 09 ralliart without feeling satisfied, so Im just going to get the car that I truely want and except all the recalls, bad mpg, small trunk, and maintenece cost. I already checked what my insurance cost would be, and I would be saving money on an 08 instead of my current 2010. haha. Hopefully I can find one that was not beatin on too bad and was taken care of at a good price to offset the higher interest rate compared to 0% for a new one. (which I'm used to). So if your not planning to keep yours, I might be interested in the future(hopefully near future)
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Probably because they can't handle the POWA!!! haha

Lots of reason people get rid of cars, bored with them, can't afford them, find something better. I wouldn't ever just give up my evo. I had my VIII and the wife got prego and she said we need to downsize to one car so i can stay home with the baby. I agreed but told her the only way I'd downsize to one is if we got another evo. Instead of keeping the VIII we traded both of our vehicles in on the X and got an awesome deal.

It's good for the people who want to buy used evos though.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think cuz alot off ppl are having problems with the cars!! all the recalls, sputtering, paint issues etc!
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RedEvoxGSR
i think cuz alot off ppl are having problems with the cars!! all the recalls, sputtering, paint issues etc!
Recalls aren't problems. You take your car in and the do them and they can do them all in one visit. I haven't had any of these so-called problems with the exception of the crappy paint but EVO owners aren't alone with that anyway as Subaru and Toyota are putting the same crappy paint on their vehicles.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

I have gone to several new car shows recently and out of all the cars out there, the only ones I would even consider owning besides the X is a Hyundai Sonata, Audi S4 (why bother, costs more for less performance) and the A5 (but with 2 kids I need the 4 doors).

For me the X is the perfect car for my tastes. Fast and performance based, still gets decent gas mileage and I can cart the family around when necessary. I can drive all year round and I have never gotten bored with it yet.

I bought my car used for pretty cheap, so that helps. Maintenance can be sticker shock, luckily no clutch or brakes needed yet!!!

Funny thing for me, I went from trucks to this car. Mid life crisis for me I guess. 41 years old!!!

Quick Reply: Why are there so many Evo Xs for sale...