Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

How can u reduce the evo ix turning radius?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2010, 02:16 PM
Shy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile How can u reduce the evo ix turning radius?

Hello Guys,

How can u reduce the evo ix turning radius? to make it easier for tight autox racing as well easier in daily driving, etc.

Any kits? or mods to improve that?

Thanks for your help

Cheers!
Old May 30, 2010, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why would you want to its horrible already and the evo has one of the best turn in ratios to begin with.
Old May 30, 2010, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All Wheel Drive Donuts? LOL If you are trying to make it turn shorter in daily driving get a Yaris. The nature of the suspension on these vehicles and the geometry of the actual suspension components only allows for a tiny bit of improvement with huge losses in the handling department if you try to drive it with those changes implemented. As for the auto-X stuff you would have to ask SmikeEvo on here.

Josh
Old May 30, 2010, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e-brake
Old May 30, 2010, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Svendiesel
e-brake
LOL YES!!! That too!

Josh
Old May 30, 2010, 02:55 PM

Anything you try to do will not give you enough tighter turning radius to make it worth
your wild. Just turn faster....
Old May 30, 2010, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never been on an autocross course that's been too tight for the EVO to navigate through. I don't know if you've noticed, but when the car is moving, and under power, the turning radius is significantly less than when you just let it roll at slow speeds like when you're parking.

I could see saying something about making it easier to park, but that's really the only place the turning radius comes into play. when the car is racing, the steering ratio is as good as it gets. if you mess with that to improve something that really doesn't matter anyway, you'll just ruin the car's steering and make it slower in the process.

if you want something easier to park, as someone else said, look into another car. if you want the car to handle tight corners better, learn how to drive better.
Old May 30, 2010, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
im glad someone else mentioned it. the turning radius is akin to a dodge ram quad cab. i think when people say the evo has tighter steering than a sti its because they just turn it lock to lock and ignore the fact that the evo turning radius is much larger. i think the actual ratios are very close.
Old May 31, 2010, 01:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
im glad someone else mentioned it. the turning radius is akin to a dodge ram quad cab. i think when people say the evo has tighter steering than a sti its because they just turn it lock to lock and ignore the fact that the evo turning radius is much larger. i think the actual ratios are very close.
no...... when people say the steering is tighter than a sti.... they mean its tighter than a sti. Evo steering (mine at least) feels directly connected to the front tire, you touch the wheel and the car moves....my 07 sti (even brand new) felt like it had a bit of slack, wasn't as 'tight' or responsive. Evo handles miles better than my STI just considering the steering rack alone.

But the sti could turn a tighter circle when doing a U turn or whatever.... I notice it but in the end its a small price to pay for world class handling to have the evo go a little wider. At speed you would should never notice anyway.
Old May 31, 2010, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by akeric
no...... when people say the steering is tighter than a sti.... they mean its tighter than a sti. Evo steering (mine at least) feels directly connected to the front tire, you touch the wheel and the car moves....my 07 sti (even brand new) felt like it had a bit of slack, wasn't as 'tight' or responsive. Evo handles miles better than my STI just considering the steering rack alone.

But the sti could turn a tighter circle when doing a U turn or whatever.... I notice it but in the end its a small price to pay for world class handling to have the evo go a little wider. At speed you would should never notice anyway.
as i said in another thread, a lot of the differences come from the **** poor alignment on the sti from the factory. without a doubt the evo is setup better off the showroom floor, but a couple little changes to the sti and its nearly identical. everyone greatly exaggerates the differences.
Old May 31, 2010, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
as i said in another thread, a lot of the differences come from the **** poor alignment on the sti from the factory. without a doubt the evo is setup better off the showroom floor, but a couple little changes to the sti and its nearly identical. everyone greatly exaggerates the differences.
the biggest issue I ever had with the STI was actually just how big the steering wheel was. go figure
Old May 31, 2010, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by akeric
the biggest issue I ever had with the STI was actually just how big the steering wheel was. go figure
my biggest complaint was the lack proper bolstering in the seats for non-fatasses. evo seat is much nicer. i really miss the sti gauges. i cant see anything with sunglasses on in the evo!
Old Jun 21, 2010, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by ODUB
I've never been on an autocross course that's been too tight for the EVO to navigate through. I don't know if you've noticed, but when the car is moving, and under power, the turning radius is significantly less than when you just let it roll at slow speeds like when you're parking.

I could see saying something about making it easier to park, but that's really the only place the turning radius comes into play. when the car is racing, the steering ratio is as good as it gets. if you mess with that to improve something that really doesn't matter anyway, you'll just ruin the car's steering and make it slower in the process.
How exactly is the turning radius less when you use the loud pedal? My Evo isn't that fun to auto-x because at least around here the courses are so tight that I am at full lock and not able to turn sharp enough at least a handfull of times in the course. I'll take my slower cars with better steering angle (but slower ratio) and do better and have more fun than trying to shove a square peg in a round hole. The steering ratio on the evo is great, but it's designed more for a road course, because you just cannot turn tight enough on an auto-x course.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
the actual radius is as wide as it is as not to damage the drivetrain/driveshaft - there shouldnt be any course where you'd have to crank the wheel that far anyway
Old Jun 21, 2010, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Hitting full steering lock during autocross with your foot to the floor on the gas is a strange feeling

Quick Reply: How can u reduce the evo ix turning radius?