Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Anyone here owned both a Evo and a S2000?? need opinions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Sinbig
Bs, this car has more maintenance cost than 99% of 4 dr cars in it's price range. The drivetrains super noisy things that are really expensive are known to fail, the interior leaves a lot to be desired, etc etc, you are basically paying for performance with the absolute least Mitsubishi could do in terms of comfort and features.
I think the Momo steering wheel and Recaros were pretty sweet, in terms of comfort and features. Not even the Evo Xs got Momo steering wheels, and the STIs never got Recaros.

I wouldn't mind if the interior were nicer, but there's nothing that I'm really upset about not having. I can live without cruise control and auto up/down windows on all four doors. Plus it's surprising how something like that Orbital kit really wakes up the interior to the point where it doesn't look so bad.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The S2k is a fun car and handles well but doesn't offer the grip and monster straight line acceleration that an Evo with basic bolt-ons will provide.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey, I saw your S2K on craigslist the other day!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 01:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've driven an S2K quite a bit, I own a turbo miata, and I also have driven the IX extensively on the street before it became a track car. The IX is a much faster car than them all in terms of lap times, but the fun factors are not the same. I could never live without a rear drive sports car, and I'm lucky enough to be able to walk both sides of the line.

If you can only have one car, go for the Evo. If you can have both, do it.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 04:05 AM
Evolving Member

I came from an AP1 and let me explain why I ditched it for an Evo:

-I think S2000's are only enjoyable in small doses. AKA weekend car or something you drive whenever while you DD something else. I DD'd mine for 1 year and had zero issues with the BS stuff other people complain about (harshness, noise, etc) I say it's good in small doses because after driving it for extended periods of time things just started pissing me off about it that I will cover below.

1. Anemic out of Vtec. You spend the majority of daily driving below 6K and the car is literally no more powerful then a Honda Accord down low. I had an exhaust so coming home from work I really didn't feel like having to rev to 8K to pass a car on the freeway all while sounding like the earths about to explode. Yeah you can downshift and blah blah to get into the sweet spot.

2. The Soft tops are absolutely terrible and wear very fast without tons of precaution.

3. The transmission while one of the best when new/or baby'd/maintained is in my opinion super fragile. As you can tell by all the threads on S2Ki the Syncros go to **** in no time driving it how it's meant meaning grinding/crunching in 1-2-3 and sometimes 4 every shift.

4. I am man enough to say when driven hard, the car is scary at the limit. I had an early AP1 and that thing would leave you facing oncoming traffic before you realized what happened.

All in all I think they are great cars for a day of blasting around and driving like you stole it. But when it comes to actually commuting with it's power band, lack of room, etc I think an Evo does a much better job while maintaining the ability to blast around and drive like you stole it.

What really pisses me off is the car is relatively unchanged over the course of 10 years or production. Yeah AP1->AP2 but in reality the changes are extremely minor.

Lastly the car is slow as *****. I remember what took me over the edge in deciding to sell it. I was merging onto the free way and a V6 Camry was in the lane beside me heading toward where both lanes merge into one. So I assumed he was gonna be a granny and take forever getting up to highway speed and I went half throttle to pass him. Suprisingly this guy floored it just as I was next to him and I did too. His Camry was quietly approaching red line while he sat in his comfy 4 door bath tub cruising along. Over here in the S2K I was sitting in a cramped cockpit buzzing the entire freeway to death revving to 9K just to barely pass this damn Camry.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 04:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have an 03 evo and and 02 s2000. They are completely different cars.
for all out performance and a daily practical car the evo is the winning. The s2k may win in looks and fun factor.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Insanity Evo
Hey, I saw your S2K on craigslist the other day!
Well what are you waiting for? Let's trade!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

I've owned both. 04 AP2 S2000, then Evo X MR. Also now have an Evo IX MR as well.

Completely different types of cars. Both fun. Both solid as rocks in terms of dependability.

Just depends on what you're looking for in a car.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

I went from a AP1 to an Evo 8. I would say i love both cars and i would end up with a ap2 later down the line for a weekend car. As for the Evo, It's a upgrade in terms of power and the awd system. I would go for the evo.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

I was "psi" on s2ki when I lived in Jacksonville in 02-03. Mine was a suzuka blue with a custom turbo among others set up by Dwight at stage 6 motorsports.

Here are my opinions. The s2k can hold a ton of power just like an EVO can. This wasn't known for a while since no one wanted to test it out to the limit. I believe my s2k was the 3rd in the country with a turbo setup. Interior on an s2000 was excellent. Only the seats in the EVO can come close to comparing, the rest.....EVO cant compete.

S2k obviously has no trunk room, but the evo X can't brag a whole lot either. Quality of paint/fit n finish on the s2k hands down!!!! Reliability of the s2k hands down as well.

Now on the other hand...the EVO. AWD, nothing more to be said about that. Styling, some like it, some don't. Performance, well theres a cheaper route to get good hp, and obviously a more expensive route. EVO with the proper driver without being a pro driver can still look like a pro driver haha. Tons of aftermarket support, older evo parts prices already came down.

Living in Colorado now with the winters, and a baby, well EVO hands down for me. Hard to compare the two since the s2k is near perfect in it's own ways. Some minor things that bug me that will keep me from ever buying an EVO or any mitsubishi again....

-Parts/Service closed on Saturdays in Colorado.
-Not the same treatment at dealerships that I have gotten from Honda dealerships
-Mitsubishi interior is garbage besides the seats in the MR, the seats in the GSR hold you well, but lack as far as quality feel

Day to day, it's not so bad in either car depending on how much shopping and climate you get. If you have any other questions, let me know.....
Old Aug 13, 2010, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the opinions so far guys
i have been talking to a guy that wants to possibly buy my car this weekend, and if he does, im going to look at a Evo IX SE with 24k miles on it. wish me luck!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Damn... and I thought my IX SE with 33k miles was low haha. Good luck with that!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

i was/am in the car market as well. this summer i was obsessed with getting an s2k. after a deal fell through, i thought about it again and now i'm going to see an evo this weekend. i just can't cut it in chicago with an s2k and my beater car probably won't make it through the winter.

i would hate to put the s2k through the dd beating. an evo would suit me much better on a daily basis. the s2k would definitely make an awesome garage queen.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sinbig
Bs, this car has more maintenance cost than 99% of 4 dr cars in it's price range. The drivetrains super noisy things that are really expensive are known to fail, the interior leaves a lot to be desired, etc etc, you are basically paying for performance with the absolute least Mitsubishi could do in terms of comfort and features.

"expensive, and known to fail"? Hi, I don't think we've met. I'm the guy with 161,000 miles (and counting) on his EVO IX MR that's been raced, and beaten on daily with no failures of any kind. The EVO has been the same price to maintain as the honda accord I owned before it. The only thing that has cost more is what I spend on gas, and that's my fault. I ran through tires, and brakes just as fast on my accord as my EVO. Oil changes were the same price, and the services were every 15k, and the prices were actually MORE for the accord's services. I've saved a lot of money by doing my own oil and fluid changes with the EVO, but even if i had to pay someone to do it, I'd still be coming out even with the accord.

EVO's break when owner's break them just like every other car. It's more reliable than any other car I've ever owned.

Last edited by ODUB; Aug 14, 2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ODUB
"expensive, and known to fail"? Hi, I don't think we've met. I'm the guy with 161,000 miles (and counting) on his EVO IX MR that's been raced, and beaten on daily with no failures of any kind. The EVO has been the same price to maintain as the honda accord I owned before it. The only thing that has cost more is what I spend on gas, and that's my fault. I ran through tires, and brakes just as fast on my accord as my EVO. Oil changes were the same price, and the services were every 15k, and the prices were actually MORE for the accord's services. I've saved a lot of money by doing my oil fluid changes with the EVO, but even if i had to pay someone to do it, I'd still be coming out even with the accord.

EVO's break when owner's break them just like every other car. It's more reliable than any other car I've ever owned.
thats awesome stuff man

Quick Reply: Anyone here owned both a Evo and a S2000?? need opinions