Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Anyone here owned both a Evo and a S2000?? need opinions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2010, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nelson999
yeah idk about that dude, but hell if you want one buy mine
i love my s2000, but not if theres any type of wet weather, and god forbid it snows in your area.
Lmfao, I've walked some serious miles when the snow hit.. nothin like getting stuck half way home! Memories!
Old Aug 16, 2010, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
Would you mind explaining how a four-door sedan with a pretty decent trunk is "far too impractical" compared to a high-revving, relatively torqueless two-door convertible?

600hp and crusing doww the highway at 4krpm right on the verge of serious boost for 40miles each way to the office. Horrible ride, mpg......

A stock evo would be ok other than the stupid low 5th gear.

I've driven/tracked a plethora of s2k's and for a 10k$ car is a fantastic car that I think would make a great DD and during winter toss some blizzacks on it.

An e46 m3 or 3.0 z4 would also be a decent dd

Last edited by 2LOFD3ATH; Aug 16, 2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

I currently have both and am also looking to sell my S. There is just no comparison as far as power. I don't daily drive either but if I have to pick one for fun driving, other than putting the top down the S has nothing on the Evo. I know the S would be more fun if I put a better suspension on it and turbo or supercharged it, and it is a very good looking car.

Last thing, when the evo was in the shop for a while, I drove the S2K a lot, when I got the evo back I was BLOWN AWAY by how fast it was in comparison. It has a lot more power potential than the S (of course I know if you build the motor and other supporting mods the S can go big power too)

Last edited by bwesley82; Aug 16, 2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 06:07 PM

I used to own a 2003 S2000 and traded it in for my 05 evo. I like the evo way more then the S2000. The S2K looks really good and handles amazing but it lacks power. Plus living in Oregon where it rains 8-9 months out of the year a convertible is not a good choice. I would say you will be more happy with the evo especially if its your daily driver.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Went and drove a evo IX today that I might buy if I can sell mine soon. But I will deffinitly not be keeping the s2000 now
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
That's the smartest thing you've said so far
Old Aug 17, 2010, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

WTF are you talking about
Old Aug 17, 2010, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I say if you dont have to pay for S2000 and its paid off....keep it, get an evo, im getting another clean s14 240sx next year for my DD for example, and will keep them both. and evo for weekend fun only.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

WTF are you talking about
Did you forget your sense of humor at home? It was a joke, one where I was agreeing with you.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Lol oh ok my bad.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Don't let it happen again... OR I WILL KILL YOU UNTIL YOU DIE
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey im very seriously thinking of trying to sell or trade my s2000 for an evo 8/9
i really love the car but at the same time i would love to have a turbo car, and being that this is my daily driver, an Evo would probably be more practical for me, i live about 35 minutes from Tahoe, so i could head up to go snowboarding on a weekly basis in an evo.

anyway if you have owned a s2k and an evo, or even just driven both cars, i would love to get your input on what you like better and why.

also some general information on owning and maintaining an Evo would be nice as well, and any tips for me when im looking at used ones.

thanks guys
my bro went from an s2k to evo, u cant compair them, on is NA one is Turbo, s2k handleing is awsome.

s2k autocrossing

evo faster, easier to work on, more room in the car for people and things
Old Aug 17, 2010, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went from an Evo, to a Subie, to an S2K, then back to an Evo. I love my Evo. I wish I never sold my first one, but the S2K was an amazing car in nice weather. Living in Washington kind of kills the fun of having a car like an S2k (at least as a DD), so going back to the Evo made sense to me.

There are some things I do miss about my S2K though. Being so low down to the ground, feeling like your sitting below the chassis was great. My Evo feels way too high. I plan to fix that
And then theres the transmission. I swapped the tranny from an Ap2 in my Ap1, so it felt like I did a diff gear change. As said by others on this thread, you really can't get much better than the S2K's transmission. I LOVED how easy it was to shift that car quickly, and smoothly. Heel and toe down shifts were easy. Just a flick of the wrist and you change gear.Not so on the Evo. I think thats my biggest gripe about the car the 2nd time around. Coming from the S2k, the transmission in the Evo leaves something to be desired. Not just because I'm coming from a 6spd to a 5spd. But the shifting isnt as smooth, and Im not a big fan of the placement of the shifter either. I think a short shift kit and a shifter extender might cure some of my gripes though. I do also miss how easy it was to bring the *** end of the S2K around at will. A bit more difficult in an AWD car, but there are mods to replicate that.

Power though cannot be beat between the S2k and Evo. 330whp on intake, boost controller and reflash. I would have to pay 4 times as much in an S2k to get that.

Overall I'm very happy and satisfied with my choice, though I would like to also get a light RWD car in the future when I can afford 2 cars. And in time, as I modify my Evo, most of my dislikes will go away.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Buch
I went from an Evo, to a Subie, to an S2K, then back to an Evo. I love my Evo. I wish I never sold my first one, but the S2K was an amazing car in nice weather. Living in Washington kind of kills the fun of having a car like an S2k (at least as a DD), so going back to the Evo made sense to me.

There are some things I do miss about my S2K though. Being so low down to the ground, feeling like your sitting below the chassis was great. My Evo feels way too high. I plan to fix that
And then theres the transmission. I swapped the tranny from an Ap2 in my Ap1, so it felt like I did a diff gear change. As said by others on this thread, you really can't get much better than the S2K's transmission. I LOVED how easy it was to shift that car quickly, and smoothly. Heel and toe down shifts were easy. Just a flick of the wrist and you change gear.Not so on the Evo. I think thats my biggest gripe about the car the 2nd time around. Coming from the S2k, the transmission in the Evo leaves something to be desired. Not just because I'm coming from a 6spd to a 5spd. But the shifting isnt as smooth, and Im not a big fan of the placement of the shifter either. I think a short shift kit and a shifter extender might cure some of my gripes though. I do also miss how easy it was to bring the *** end of the S2K around at will. A bit more difficult in an AWD car, but there are mods to replicate that.

Power though cannot be beat between the S2k and Evo. 330whp on intake, boost controller and reflash. I would have to pay 4 times as much in an S2k to get that.

Overall I'm very happy and satisfied with my choice, though I would like to also get a light RWD car in the future when I can afford 2 cars. And in time, as I modify my Evo, most of my dislikes will go away.
Nice writeup. About the comparisons between the shifters, I think part of the S2000's ease of use was how your arm rests on the plastic panel, whereas in the Evo, your arm is pretty much just hanging.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

EDIT - damnit, someone just beat me to it haha.

One more thing I miss about the s2k was the center console to rest your arm on. The EVO, unless you got arms as long as a gorilla, it's suspended while holding onto the shifter.

And like the above mentioned, flicking the s2k through the gears was especially nice. With a voodoo shift knob, a short shifter wasn't even needed for mine.

Quick Reply: Anyone here owned both a Evo and a S2000?? need opinions