Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

How to take care of your Transfer case?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2010, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoVIIIFL
Thats a tad of a gamble.. imagine had it blown up or seized at 70+.... I'm a CRAZY **** my wife will swear to it... but thats to much for me
HAHA it doesnt seize at 70 it feels like your car is braking extremeley hard 30 times as it shears off every tooth on the ring and pinnion as you come to a complete stop on the side of the road and then it locks up. Tow truck driver has to either slide it on the bed or put those wheel things under all 4 tires to get it on the flat bad HAHA
Old Sep 20, 2010, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about turning the steering wheel both sides and steping lightly on the gas? Isn't that necessary?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

You do something similar to that to bleed out the powersteering but never heard of that for a tcase...
Old Sep 20, 2010, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BRN-EVO
What about turning the steering wheel both sides and steping lightly on the gas? Isn't that necessary?
WHAT?! The car better be off I hope to god...or are you referring to steering both side to side to drain your power steering pump?
And stepping on the gas? All that does is open your throttle body valve.... that has NOTHING to do with your Transfer case
Old Sep 20, 2010, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by white8
HAHA it doesnt seize at 70 it feels like your car is braking extremeley hard 30 times as it shears off every tooth on the ring and pinnion as you come to a complete stop on the side of the road and then it locks up. Tow truck driver has to either slide it on the bed or put those wheel things under all 4 tires to get it on the flat bad HAHA
Dear god... (knocks on wood) hope I never get that...
Old Sep 20, 2010, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

Dear god... (knocks on wood) hope I never get that...
well it shouldnt. i did it knowing what was gonna happen. basically on purpose just because i was pissed off. The tcase sounds like shaking allot of metal sockets in an aluminum box for about 10 miles and very loud before it decides to start sheering off the teeth and locking up. Its a pretty strong unit HAHA
Old Sep 20, 2010, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Dear god... I'm at 105k miles on my stock unit and its still going strong despite hard launches and ALOT of abuse at the track and autox... Mind you I'm replacing it soon here with a built one... and for those wondering.. I'm not pushing 300..more like 600..
same here, at 7x,xxx miles.... the car has had dozens and dozens of hard launches and been through 2 clutches, i change the fluids every 15k.... mine is a white 03 gsr w/ 425whp
Old Sep 21, 2010, 06:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WHAT?! The car better be off I hope to god...or are you referring to steering both side to side to drain your power steering pump?
And stepping on the gas? All that does is open your throttle body valve.... that has NOTHING to do with your Transfer case
Well it does sound weird about turning the steering, but the point is most TCs break because of either oil related such as wrong oil usage, low oil level, not proper bleeding process, etc.. or hard launches.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am confused here, are we talking about the TC or the ACD? because I know the ACD needs bleeding (all that steering turning and all) but the TC, like mentioned earlier, just needs to be filled with new fluid, like a regular oil change, but on the TC (or are any of you guys "bleeding" the engine too? haha j/k)
Old Sep 21, 2010, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

personally, i think our evo trannys are POS. and for ppl like myself, whose syncros are always grinding between shifts and stuff, we just need to rebuild ours. ppl with 6sp in other hand, just out of luck. hopefully buschur does something with those ****ty 6speeds.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evoardo IX
I am confused here, are we talking about the TC or the ACD? because I know the ACD needs bleeding (all that steering turning and all) but the TC, like mentioned earlier, just needs to be filled with new fluid, like a regular oil change, but on the TC (or are any of you guys "bleeding" the engine too? haha j/k)
You have to bleed the TC, at least thats what my dealer told me. Theres some air left inside some piping/part that goes a bit over the tcase's filling hole thats gonna stay there if you dont push it out. At least thats for the Tcase with the ACD, I dont know about normal ones...

...and btw my dealer has a rally team with 5 evos from VI to X (3 of them are IX MR) so they know ALOT about these cars.

We changed the oil on my brother's TC a couple months ago without bleeding it and he ended up with the whinning sound of death and the dealership told us it was missing oil when they opened the tcase and asked us if we bleed the thing and we didnt..

Last edited by Karass; Sep 21, 2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Never heard of bleeding your transfer case. You have to bleed the ACD when changing your clutch, etc but not when just changing your TC fluid. If you ended up with gear death after changing your fluid you didn't put enough in.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

Go there http://www.***************/forums/sh...t=16788&page=3 and look at the part with the service manual. Bleeding IS required for the Tcase.

It is for a EvoX but none the less, required.

Now, I would guess that many of you have had repetitive problems because of that ?

Just correct me if im wrong

Last edited by Karass; Sep 21, 2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the evo 9 service manual, and it does not mention one bit about any TC bleeding procedure, it just says to drain old fluid, pour new one in until full and done. No bleeding at all, not on the Mitsubishi Evo 9 service manual.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
US Evo 8/9 transfer case is drain, fill, simple.

Quick Reply: How to take care of your Transfer case?