Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

How to take care of your Transfer case?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2010, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to take care of your Transfer case?

Hi everyone,

After breaking 2 transfer cases ( the second was a shep stage 2 TC), I would like to know so as to get other evo owners about how to take good care of the transfer case. I know that I shouldn't do hard launches, but in fact I never did! What else should we worring about or be aware of? I have heard from an evo owner that never had any issues with his evo 7's transfer case, that the bleeding process and correct oil usage are key factors of healthy TCs.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd use factory Diaqueen 90w LSD oil only. Change it often and try put AS MUCH in as you can. After you change it, take the car for a drive then get it back in the air again and put some more fluid in! I went through three transfer cases on my 2003 Evo - 1 broke due to Redline 75w90 fluid in it and 2 broke at the track.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

i question as how you broke two of them? maybe its some ****ty luck, but thats odd!

my stock 03 t-case just broke at the track 2 weeks ago. 43k miles and over a hundred launches on it. it only went because i broke the stock diff in it. one too many 1.5 60's on hoosiers and it called it quits lol. my car makes 515/417 on a mustang dyno.

a lot of it has to do with improper maitenance/launching. i only use diaqueen in my t-case.

Last edited by psphinx81; Sep 20, 2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

I feel for the OP - wheel hop dom'ed mine
Old Sep 20, 2010, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I gave up on taking care of them but i also do allot of launching low 1.6 on street tires. I just keep buying used broke whining units for cheap. Its annoying but gets the job done
Old Sep 20, 2010, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by white8
I gave up on taking care of them but i also do allot of launching low 1.6 on street tires. I just keep buying used broke whining units for cheap. Its annoying but gets the job done
Lool.. Are your telling me you have been driving on whining TCs the whole time!
Old Sep 20, 2010, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Dear god... I'm at 105k miles on my stock unit and its still going strong despite hard launches and ALOT of abuse at the track and autox... Mind you I'm replacing it soon here with a built one... and for those wondering.. I'm not pushing 300..more like 600..
Old Sep 20, 2010, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Could be a combination of a lot of things but probably mainly maintenance, launch technique, and power level....

I dont think there is really a secret to not breaking besides not beating the hell out of it and launching
Old Sep 20, 2010, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by EvoVIIIFL
Dear god... I'm at 105k miles on my stock unit and its still going strong despite hard launches and ALOT of abuse at the track and autox... Mind you I'm replacing it soon here with a built one... and for those wondering.. I'm not pushing 300..more like 600..
Now that's what I'm looking for! What is your car's model? How often do you change the oil? and How many times do you bleed the oil each time?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 06MRV8Killer
Could be a combination of a lot of things but probably mainly maintenance, launch technique, and power level....

I dont think there is really a secret to not breaking besides not beating the hell out of it and launching
wheel hop is the devil!
Old Sep 20, 2010, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BRN-EVO
Now that's what I'm looking for! What is your car's model? How often do you change the oil? and How many times do you bleed the oil each time?
2004 Evo 8 GSR model.. basic as you can get minus the RS
Honestly I've done it max 5 times.. each time a clutch crapped out (dead clutches include: Factory, ACT 2600, Exedy Twin HD and now going in soon for a rebuild on a Exedy Triple) .. I check the level every 2 months and add as necessary. If I go to the track or have been beating on it I'll check it the day after on as level as a surface as I can find and I'll check the color and smell of the fluid. If I feel it needed to be changed earlier I'd have done it.. but the little sucker has just held in there so well.. We're talking TONS of launches both prepped and unprepped and on street tires.. most of the time if I felt what I thought to be wheel hop I let out of it completely.
Feel free to ask anymore ?'s and I'll go off best I can from memory.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Lool.. Are your telling me you have been driving on whining TCs the whole time!
YUP. made the trip to dsm/evo shoot out twice too. The noise gets less annoying at 70 + HAHA
Old Sep 20, 2010, 03:25 PM

Thanks for the help. The first thing I'll do is to ask the dealer to bleed the TC at least twice since they have already did twice today.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by white8
YUP. made the trip to dsm/evo shoot out twice too. The noise gets less annoying at 70 + HAHA
Thats a tad of a gamble.. imagine had it blown up or seized at 70+.... I'm a CRAZY **** my wife will swear to it... but thats to much for me
Old Sep 20, 2010, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the help. The first thing I'll do is to ask the dealer to bleed the TC at least twice since they have already did twice today.
Uhhh how do you "bleed" a TC exactly? Its pretty much FILL or DRAIN... no inbetween.. not like its a brake or clutch slave.
Basics are this:
1) Park car on level surface
2) Drain plug loosen and have something to catch it all
3) Inspect drain plug for material on magnet
4) Clean magnet and replace after allowing ample time to drain (make sure you've opened the fill hole so allowing pressure to drain more flud)
5) Fill from fill hole until excess fluid pours out
6) allow alittle more excess to go in and pull filler hose out quickly and seal. Clean and done

Quick Reply: How to take care of your Transfer case?