Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Over revved evo

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2010, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel cuts out because stock ecu settings limit boost as it can spike in cold weather. it has nothing to do with how rich your running. now i made a guess based on limited info you gave, it could easily be just a misfire you got because maybe your spark plugs are on its way out, who knows.

anyways everything is just a guess until we see that code.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 09:46 AM

I also never modded out of order I have my full parts list in my sig.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
you have no sig in your posts...

so you have an intercooler, cams, intake, exhaust and fuel pump and no tune?

Last edited by evo8426; Dec 11, 2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just delete the code and see if it comes back. if it comes back, then you know you have a problem
Old Dec 11, 2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by mifesto
fuel cuts out because stock ecu settings limit boost as it can spike in cold weather. it has nothing to do with how rich your running. now i made a guess based on limited info you gave, it could easily be just a misfire you got because maybe your spark plugs are on its way out, who knows.

anyways everything is just a guess until we see that code.
I posted the code and problem. Now im wondering if there is anything else that the code could mean when it says charging system failure.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

p0234 is an overboost code.
what are you using to control boost? the ecu? or mbc/ebc?
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:00 AM

I have not altered my boost yet. Stock ecu is still controlling it. No I do not have a tune with all that stiff. I'm having one done next week after I fix this problem. In guessing it's just a crappy wastegate. I'm going to have one over nighted from fp.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
evos run like 9.1 afr stock lol. its probably around 10.1 right now since its colder out, but ya you could benefit from a tune greatly since the stock tunes pretty bad.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

A new wastegate actuator will just make you boost spike even higher. I think the smallest one FP sells is an 18psi actuator. So stay out of boost until your tune otherwise it will probably spike 25ish.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:36 AM

You guys are saying that I dont need a new wastegate actuator when it is saying I'm having a wastegate actuator failure( over boost code). I guess I don't understand that. How would a tune fix my wastegate if a spring or something in it is no good. My service engine soon light has not ever been on in 6 months I have owned the car. None of my mods have been done in the past few months and it never had the light come on until I over revved my car last night, the car back fired and then the light came on. I have overrevved my car before and this never happened.

I edited my first post to hopefully give you guys a better description.

Last edited by Braden71790; Dec 11, 2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

why are you going crazy becuase the code came on once....
delete the code and see if it comes back. dont go ordering a new actuator, its not needed at this point. and revving to 7.8k is hardly considered an over rev...

get a tune asap also. your car is running like crap, i can guarentee it.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Buy a MBC and get a tune. You can't just throw parts on your car, especially fuel related ones, and expect the car to run properly without be adjusted accordingly.

/thread
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:55 AM
Former Sponsor

I was referring to air/fuel ratio. the weather has an effect on our vehicles.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Braden71790
You guys are saying that I dont need a new wastegate actuator when it is saying I'm having a wastegate actuator failure( over boost code). I guess I don't understand that. How would a tune fix my wastegate if a spring or something in it is no good. My service engine soon light has not ever been on in 6 months I have owned the car. None of my mods have been done in the past few months and it never had the light come on until I over revved my car last night, the car back fired and then the light came on. I have overrevved my car before and this never happened.

I edited my first post to hopefully give you guys a better description.
for one thing a wastegate actuator is a mechanical device on the evo. its an internal wastegate attached to the turbo that actuates after it sees a certain amount of pressure and then moves the rod attached to it which is attached to the flapper as well and relieves the excess exhaust gases out.

you certainly dont need anew mechanical wastegate actuator because of this code. If anything possibly the stock boost solenoid has error'ed, but clear the code and if it dont return consider yourself fixed.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

if you have access to ecuflash and tactrix cable, please tell me what you have under "boost limit" table... my money is you have several power mods and stock flash, which is then easy to hit boost cut in this nasty cold.

Quick Reply: Over revved evo