Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo VIII MR Vs Evo IX opinions, whats better?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2011, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so what is the diffrence between an evo 9 and and evo 9 MR? and do bolth the 9 and 9 MR have Mivec? sorry im new to all this. *PS.*(not worried about the 6speed trans, im sending it to shep for the 5speed conversion) any info would be great, thanks
Old Oct 30, 2011, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by PsiFlyBy
so what is the diffrence between an evo 9 and and evo 9 MR? and do bolth the 9 and 9 MR have Mivec? sorry im new to all this. *PS.*(not worried about the 6speed trans, im sending it to shep for the 5speed conversion) any info would be great, thanks
I think Evo 9 MR had BBS rims,different suspension set up
Old Oct 31, 2011, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by PsiFlyBy
The main differences other than the transmission are the HIDs, forged BBS wheels, aluminum roof, zero-lift kit, gauges, shift knob and E-brake handle. The IX SE adds those first three things onto the standard IX.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

from the MR to simple IX ... i rode both picked the IX cuz few reasons.

Suspension is better in MR
*who the hell keeps stock suspension?

The sonic look on top
*buy your own 20 bucks. nothing special

Light roof
*so not noticeable

HID.
*kits are cheap.

For the price it just wasnt worth it. get the little things stick a badge if you want emblem.

After driving both i didnt notice much (granted at dealership he didnt let me do to much in it) but unless your gonna keep everything stock and autocross do the MR.

But if your gonna do simple modding save the money and put that extra to parts.

my thoughts to each is own.

from the 8 and 9 there is a few pros and cons. granted i like the looks of 9 a lot better but the 8 bumper can take most advantage of a bigger intercooler. other then that parts better and stronger on the IX
Old Oct 31, 2011, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go with the 9. I had evo before and I noticed the 9's engine responds better. MIVEC helps from the low RPM ranges
Old Oct 31, 2011, 06:01 PM

I think at this point it all really depends on price most IX's are going for 20-25K while an VIII you can get anywhere from 11-15K. I don't think the 10K difference is worth it since there are minimal differences, especially if you have plans to change turbos or make any significant amount of power. The only downside is the VIII's have higher mileage.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 07:55 PM

thank you guys for all the usefull info.. not sure if this is true but i herd that the Evo ix motor is stronger than the xiii, and that the evo ix can take more abuse? whats the deal with that?
Old Nov 2, 2011, 05:37 AM

I like my 03 evo I just got two months ago but with I would have picked up a evo 9
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:30 AM

guess its abit old now to have an input but i felt the need i guess seeing as the original OP was from australia, and price wise and model availability differed here for us than many of you guys. We have the imported 04 Evo 8 MR's which are roughly going for high 20s almost 30s or low 30s, while the aus delivered evo 9 came with the upgraded bonuses of the turbo and mivec etc that many of you have mentioned and pretty much exterior differences as well, majority of the differences between the MR and the aus 9 we have would be voided if you ended up modding the basic things etc so other then having the MR badge on an 8 for practically the same price as the newer 9 is just not worth it. Here in australia anyways =)
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:58 PM

is it possible to just put an exo IX head on an Evo VIII block and swap the turbo and call it a day? or does that not work? and what exactly makes the Evo IX head have mivec? is it just the cam shafts that do it? or is there more to it? i'm kind of wanting mivec but not at the cost of swapping an entire engine...but if you can just swap the cams, or just swap the head and the turbo i'd be fine with that, I really only want close to 400awhp and have E85 stations readily available to me around where I live in california
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:30 AM

I personally like the Evo 8 for some reason. The internals may be better on the IX but something about the 8 that I prefer.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
from a guy who's owned both, the mivec I couldn't even tell a difference. I'd find a cheap 03-04 and build a nice car from ground up. Unless you want acd some people dont like myself.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:39 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by youngcow
I personally like the Evo 8 for some reason. The internals may be better on the IX but something about the 8 that I prefer.
Is it the price?

Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:49 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kaonashi
from a guy who's owned both, the mivec I couldn't even tell a difference. I'd find a cheap 03-04 and build a nice car from ground up. Unless you want acd some people dont like myself.
Your post piqued my curiosity, as it makes things sound like you have/had a VIII and a IX and, in turn, are able to express a legitimate opinion as to their comparative prowess. The reality is that you bought a VIII, swapped a IX motor into it along with a slew of aftermarket parts, as such, essentially redesigning the engine's operating parameters. A better question would be, why would one notice MIVEC in such an instance?

Below is a pic of your motor right after the swap.

Name:  sdfggfgf.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  110.6 KB

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...5-success.html
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to the OP, okay listen up.

you can pretty much ignore the previous 4 pages in this thread.

I cant believe no one noticed he said he is from Australia, therefore the 2 cars in questions are the JDM evo 8 MR and the aus spec evo ix.

correct me if im wrong but the JDM evo 8 MR is nothing at all like the US spec evo 8 MR? it is very much like an evo 8.5, the specs making the JDM 8MR very close to the IX

We are talking about a pure JDM RHD vehicle. full AYC/ACD all the japanese goodies such as non detuned engine, bilstein suspension, ful carbon fibre wing (painted a dark gunmetal colour) aluminum roof, power folding mirrors, auto up power windows, super dark privacy glass in the rears and rear windscreen, rear wipers, nicer black recaros with HIGH side bolster (very tight fitting) , JDM matt black tail/head lights with amber indicators. oh and HID headlights.

The gunmetal grey evo colour is not available as an aus spec evo ix. it is only available as a JDM evo 8MR. other JDM 8 MR colours are red, white and silver.

The americans can only dream of getting this vehicle in your country.

here is a best motoring video showing the differences between the JDM 8MR and the JDM 8 GSR.

As for the the Aus spec evo ix, it's pretty close to the JDM evo ix except i believe they detuned the engine slightly, put in 'fat man' recaro seats that do not have high side bolsters, and missing some of the the JDM goodies such as HID headlights, power folding mirrors, rear wipers.

To the OP, no point asking this question on this forum as the specs of the cars are totally different to US specs, come to evolutionoz.net this question is asked many times.

Quick Reply: Evo VIII MR Vs Evo IX opinions, whats better?