Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

parents are saying mitsubishi is bad[HELP]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If there is something that the mechanics might have told your mom about Mitsubishi cars that I can believe it is that parts tend to cost more and are harder to get when compared to Hondas and Toyotas. That right there can discourage people of buying a certain type of car.
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tpatterson
There is no serious answer they just have no idea what they're talking about. If they can't give you a better description of why they're bad they just dont want you to buy it

not unless he is mature enough and dont wrap himself on a tree then thats a really bad story..............get it?
Evolved Member

Keep insurance and maintenance in mind. $800 brake jobs for example.

But to answer your question Mitsu is not on the level of Honda or Toyota but way beyond where it once was. The only warranty issues I had were cosmetic in nature like the Brembos and wing clear coat coming off. Aside from that the only "problems" are the annoyances like everything rattling after about 1 year and 15k miles (gauge cluster, rear deck lid, several other smaller rattles, HID ballast went out, and crappy paint that chips when you sneeze on the car. All stuff other car companies deal with. But it is not a Civic or Corolla. You pay $30k for a ton of performance and you gotta give somewhere. I say get it but expect to maintain a used Evo and have cash ready for that and mods.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're asking for a serious answer to a silly question. If your parents are paying for the car and don't want you to have a Mitsubishi, then that's all there is to it. If you want to convince them they're not bad cars, then do some research on reliability and repair costs but it sounds like your mother has no idea what she's talking about, and is being ignorant. Sorry to put it bluntly, but that's what it sounds like based on what you've told us.

I'm assuming this is your 1st car... If so, please don't buy an Evo. The Evo is not a good car for someones 1st. It's not that it's a bad car, but this is a high performance car, and it's got room for 4 friends. When I was 16-18, I drove like an idiot by myself but put a couple friends in the car and I suddenly had to prove how cool I was. Your chances of crashing the Evo and hurting yourself and others is very high if it's your 1st car. TRUST ME. btw, I'm only 22 so I'm not some old man.

If you're looking for a decent 1st car that your friends and girls will think is cool but doesn't have as much potential to kill you and them, check out newer Civics or Acura RSX. The B15 Sentra SE-R is worth looking at, as well. If your parents still argue the reliability when you start looking at Hondas well then you're hosed lol.

Originally Posted by Pssst
Try finding a Talon TSI and work your way up in the DSM world.
LOL are you nuts man?? DSMs are always broken!! lol
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:07 PM

I have a friend, his name is Parker and his parents are wealthy. At 16 years old, they bought him a brand new WRX (this was in 2008). He crashed the car 3 months later and broke his legs, knocked himself unconcious and the car was on fire. Had his girlfriend not been following him (at the speed limit which he was NOT doing) and come around the corner to a car on fire, proceeding to pull him from the car before it fully engulfed, he'd be dead. Had she waited for emergency units to arrive, my friend Parker would not be living on the street next to me anymore.

The moral of this story is that while fast cars are fun, they are NOT, I repeat NOT, for 16 year old kids. You think you can drive? I've got news for you...you can't. No disrepect, but you don't have the experience of DRIVING under your belt yet, let alone the experience of driving a car that is as fast as some expensive exotic cars (Porsche, BMW, etc). I'm sorry, but I see your parents telling you it's a bad car because they simply do not want to let you own one.

I love my Evo, it costs me a bunch of money to maintain and drive,. It's extremely fast and a supreme handling beast. But I would have killed myself in a wreck if I had this car at 16. Every person on this forum has been your age and we've all pushed our cars too far and gotten lucky or maybe not so lucky...knowing what an Evo can do, I'd never, ever, ever, ever, ever let a teenager drive it. This car can outperform how quickly your inexperienced mind can react and you just won't be able to hold back.

This has NOTHING personal directly targetting you and your driving. I'd say it to any 16 year old. Buy a car that is cheap, reliable, easy to fix, and not super fast. I wanted a Supra when I was 16, I still don't have one, I won't have one for awhile, but I understand the allure of a fast car that gets attention.

Go ahead and hate. I'm ready.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:13 PM

thank you very much @TURBevO8 @Vivid Racing for your replies. I am not trying to get it to impress necessarily. I want it for my own satisfaction of having a fast car. I probably wont get it now because the guy that was selling just sold it. Hard watching my friends have good cars such as a genesis 3.8 , 350z, and g35's. i dont want to be left in the dust.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Mitsubishi isn't exactly known for their stellar reliability but it's getting better. As it should, just like every major manufacturer, since the technology/methods are there and today's customers demand it more so than ever before. With that being said, my 2003 evo is more reliable than my mom's 2002 CR-V. The couple of things that went awry were the typical faded calipers and a broken temp control knob. So I really wouldn't worry about reliability if you maintain like you're supposed to and pray to the 3-diamond gods. Also, don't forget that every car is different. There's supposed to be a standard, but this is real life. That's why you are given a warranty just in case. Obviously, this doesn't apply to your situation.

For the most part, you won't be taken seriously on evom by it's members since you're so young. It may be out of envy or just that they don't think you can handle the car of this caliber. I'm replying since I was in your shoes not too long ago. I got my evo, also my first car let alone stick-shift, when I was 17 and cherished every moment. Just be responsible and you should be fine for the most part. I'm 25 now and still haven't been issued a single speeding citation. Still on the stock clutch!

If had to do it all over again, I wouldn't have gone with the evo. To me at least, always worrying about it is just too stressful. Like the others mentioned, maintainance isn't cheap but not astronomical.

GL to you. Just be grateful your parents are willing to fork over money for your ride. Regardless what vehicle it may be, don't thank them by wrapping it around a tree.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by evol etg-zj2
I have a friend, his name is Parker and his parents are wealthy. At 16 years old, they bought him a brand new WRX (this was in 2008). He crashed the car 3 months later and broke his legs, knocked himself unconcious and the car was on fire. Had his girlfriend not been following him (at the speed limit which he was NOT doing) and come around the corner to a car on fire, proceeding to pull him from the car before it fully engulfed, he'd be dead. Had she waited for emergency units to arrive, my friend Parker would not be living on the street next to me anymore.

The moral of this story is that while fast cars are fun, they are NOT, I repeat NOT, for 16 year old kids. You think you can drive? I've got news for you...you can't. No disrepect, but you don't have the experience of DRIVING under your belt yet, let alone the experience of driving a car that is as fast as some expensive exotic cars (Porsche, BMW, etc). I'm sorry, but I see your parents telling you it's a bad car because they simply do not want to let you own one.

I love my Evo, it costs me a bunch of money to maintain and drive,. It's extremely fast and a supreme handling beast. But I would have killed myself in a wreck if I had this car at 16. Every person on this forum has been your age and we've all pushed our cars too far and gotten lucky or maybe not so lucky...knowing what an Evo can do, I'd never, ever, ever, ever, ever let a teenager drive it. This car can outperform how quickly your inexperienced mind can react and you just won't be able to hold back.

This has NOTHING personal directly targetting you and your driving. I'd say it to any 16 year old. Buy a car that is cheap, reliable, easy to fix, and not super fast. I wanted a Supra when I was 16, I still don't have one, I won't have one for awhile, but I understand the allure of a fast car that gets attention.

Go ahead and hate. I'm ready.
im not going to hate on anyone, i really respect this post right here, it makes sense why they wouldnt want to buy it for me. its just the fact that they just said Mitsubishi was bad. they never gave me any valid reasons of why it was. and i just wanted to find out if what they were saying was true or not. thank you.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by vincentle01
thank you very much @TURBevO8 @Vivid Racing for your replies. I am not trying to get it to impress necessarily. I want it for my own satisfaction of having a fast car. I probably wont get it now because the guy that was selling just sold it. Hard watching my friends have good cars such as a genesis 3.8 , 350z, and g35's. i dont want to be left in the dust.
I've always wanted a fast car. Never could afford the insurance. So, i bought a 240 (really cheap on insurance, and really cheap to fix) and made it fast! I have much more gratification knowing I made my car what it is without having to pay premium prices.

So my advice, buy a cheaper reliable car, and use the extra money to blow an evo out of the water.

You'll get more respect building up a fast car, then buying one anyways.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hard watching my friends have good cars such as a genesis 3.8 , 350z, and g35's. i dont want to be left in the dust.
Really? Get over it and learn to live with what your parents are willing to give you...or go out and earn it yourself if their idea of what your first car should be is not good enough to keep up with your friends genesis 3.8, 350z or g35s...

I'm just tired of these "Help me convince my mommy & daddy buy me an evo...." threads...
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Haha it'd be funny if you're trying to buy my car since it's 03 with roughly 70K and in Texas.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kim@Forged
I've always wanted a fast car. Never could afford the insurance. So, i bought a 240 (really cheap on insurance, and really cheap to fix) and made it fast! I have much more gratification knowing I made my car what it is without having to pay premium prices.

So my advice, buy a cheaper reliable car, and use the extra money to blow an evo out of the water.

You'll get more respect building up a fast car, then buying one anyways.
ive looked at some 240sx's also, but the mileages are way too high. btw 240's look clean as hell lol
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by SilverShadow03
Really? Get over it and learn to live with what your parents are willing to give you...or go out and earn it yourself if their idea of what your first car should be is not good enough to keep up with your friends genesis 3.8, 350z or g35s...

I'm just tired of these "Help me convince my mommy & daddy buy me an evo...." threads...
you sound a bit mad
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

I am not trying to get it to impress necessarily. I want it for my own satisfaction of having a fast car. I probably wont get it now because the guy that was selling just sold it. Hard watching my friends have good cars such as a genesis 3.8 , 350z, and g35's. i dont want to be left in the dust.
I'm not sure if I'm speaking for just myself here. But if these are your reasons as to why you want an evo, I feel you're in for a big surprise... Because none of these are any reasons why a Evo is good. Except the fact they are faster then those listed above. If you are looking to +1 up your friends thats one thing, but certainly not a convincing argument. Also, your parents must be crazy to buy you one for the reasons above..

Also... if the car is sold, you wont be getting it. Unless you buy it from the person who just bought it
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:25 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was 19 when I bought my first EVO, my biggest regret was not waiting. The cost to fix the clutch and brakes alone was staggering. Not only that, I had to change all of the fluids and it still needed tires, an alignment, a new BPV, and a the TC and Tranny were on their way out.

These cars are not cheap to fix, and if you have limited mechanical experience they're not the easiest to work on either. If your parents got you that car and then started to realize how much the upkeep costs I'd be willing to bet they wouldn't be having it. I'd also say, unless you make decent money, you'll have a bit of a difficult time keeping it up, just speaking from experience, not hating or anything.

Quick Reply: parents are saying mitsubishi is bad[HELP]