Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo 9 vs M3 E46

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 9 vs M3 E46

I'm stuck between these two cars, I know the m3 isn't very good handling as it has under steer, so I'm guessing a evo can take a corner at a higher speed, I like the m3 styling though, but I like the evo handling and acceleration, for someone that's drive both, what did you like better?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by arctyler
I'm stuck between these two cars, I know the m3 isn't very good handling as it has under steer, so I'm guessing a evo can take a corner at a higher speed, I like the m3 styling though, but I like the evo handling and acceleration, for someone that's drive both, what did you like better?
Matters what you want man. My friend recently sold his evo 8.5 and got a e46: he abs loves it, tho he misses the power of his evo

the m3 is much better of a DD: much more comfortable and, well, you know (BMW = Book More Women ). And its not necessarily true that the evo is a better cornering car: i think its defiantly easier to take around a corner quickly because it has awd

After driving his e46, i prefer the evo. But that's just me In the end, it's whatever makes you happy!

Last edited by Darkko7; Mar 26, 2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

I agree M3 is much better for DD, but someday you will miss boost!!!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:03 PM

M3 is a very neutral handling car. It was a benchmark for a reason. And it does accelerate on par with a stock EVO. But parts to maintain an m3 are expensive, and if you go aftermarket even moreso. If you have the bank to fund a bimmer, more power to ya, but if you are looking for bang for buck, go EVO.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:46 PM

I actually just sold my E46 M3 to buy an Evo, maintenance wasnt that bad.. as long as you dont let the dealer rape you on charges and are somewhat mechanically inclined. If I lived in Arizona or somewhere similar I 100% wouldn't have sold it, but I live in Chicago. The roads suck here, not to mention the winter months are pretty bad. I missed having a awd turbo car, so its about time I get another one. For me now, an Evo is the best choice.

Here was my E46 I just sold...
http://postimage.org/image/i0ir4ez1j/

Last edited by DSMpsi; Mar 30, 2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey I saw this so I thought I would share some thoughts. The M3 is more of a DD than the Evo. I think its more comfortable and spacious and also well refined. Its nice to drive and doesnt lack power. Its just a really nice car. I just prefer my Evo cause it has a more solid feel to it and turbo always makes me smile. The handling from the AWD is something I always wanted and I never get tired of it. Maintenance wise, they both feel the same to me but the BMW requires slightly more attention. My family loves their German cars, and I do enjoy driving the M3 and 911 once in a while, but I think its not for me. Not yet anyway. I really like the 1 Series M Coupe, but I still feel like its something I would want when I a little more older. I hope this helps you.

EDIT: Handling wise, I cant really say much. other than I sometimes have a small sensation when I feel the front tires slip a bit in a turn. Im being watched when I take out the car.

Last edited by CN9Adaiski; Mar 30, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I work on BMWs for a living. I have driven plenty of E46 M3s to know I love my evo over it any day. Now if it was an E90 M3 well the only thing that keeps me in an Evo is the awd.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
had a e46 m3 before the evo..evo alldayy over the e46! except in the luxury department but I could deal with the evo its nottt as bad as people seem to make it.

btw the evo's my daily with 500whp and i love it.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
M3 with a HorsePower Freak kit and done the best of both worlds
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:02 PM

The understeer u speak of is not hard to dail out. And someone said the Evo is a more solid car? Hardly. Just close the door on either and make that decision its like tin trash can vs bank vault. But its also a matter of what you like more and what you pland to do with the car
Old Apr 2, 2012, 07:55 AM

What about a 335i or xdrive (if you want AWD). You get the luxury of a BMW and similar performance to an EVO. I also work for BMW and a tech of mine used to have an EVO and now has a modded 335i he likes a lot more.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by CN9Adaiski
I think its more comfortable and spacious and also well refined.
You think the E46 M3 is more spacious than the Evo?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Ispool4u
What about a 335i or xdrive (if you want AWD). You get the luxury of a BMW and similar performance to an EVO. I also work for BMW and a tech of mine used to have an EVO and now has a modded 335i he likes a lot more.
If they made a decent looking 4 door then yes I would consider it. The new F30 3 series 4 door looks nice but expensive if you want the sport version.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by wizzo 8
If they made a decent looking 4 door then yes I would consider it. The new F30 3 series 4 door looks nice but expensive if you want the sport version.
I agree, just building one on BMW's website made my jaw drop when I saw the price. Even the base model (meaning non-Sport, non-Luxury and non-Modern) was still pretty pricey, even if it is a really nice car.

I saw a test mule for the new 3-Series Hybrid a few months back, and it was pretty nice in person.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sharkbite2000
M3 with a HorsePower Freak kit and done the best of both worlds
besides the price tag

Quick Reply: Evo 9 vs M3 E46