Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Help with phenolic gasket install

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help with phenolic gasket install

Hello i recently bought a coswoth phenolic gasket.

I'm trying to install it but manifold support bolts doesnt fit with the manifold.

Any ideas??

thanks

Last edited by Jhusey; Apr 10, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jhusey
Hello i recently bought a coswoth phenolic gasket.

I'm trying to install it but manifold support bolts doesnt fit.

Any ideas??

thanks

um. drill bit?

otherwise we need more details. are the holes on the gasket to small or do they not line up at all?

if there to small just drill them out. if there not lining up send it back
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry for the thread revival.

I'm just finishing up a head gasket job. I decided to put on the MAP phenolic intake gasket. What problems with mounting did you all run into? It looks like I'll have to add washers to the bracket on the drivers side and not use the lock washers on the 2 larger bolts that hold the same bracket and the alternator support bracket. It also looks like I'll need to notch the alternator support bracket to compensate for the 3/8" spacer. I'll be taking off the intake manifold support bracket too, since I did the EGR plug in the cylinder head and will be removing all of the EGR equip.

So does this sound like everything? I haven't put the head back on yet, but I'd like to know what I'm in for. Also, should I just run the spacer without OEM IM gaskets or should I use a OEM IM gasket on each side of the spacer.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by 10isace
Sorry for the thread revival.

I'm just finishing up a head gasket job. I decided to put on the MAP phenolic intake gasket. What problems with mounting did you all run into? It looks like I'll have to add washers to the bracket on the drivers side and not use the lock washers on the 2 larger bolts that hold the same bracket and the alternator support bracket. It also looks like I'll need to notch the alternator support bracket to compensate for the 3/8" spacer. I'll be taking off the intake manifold support bracket too, since I did the EGR plug in the cylinder head and will be removing all of the EGR equip.

So does this sound like everything? I haven't put the head back on yet, but I'd like to know what I'm in for. Also, should I just run the spacer without OEM IM gaskets or should I use a OEM IM gasket on each side of the spacer.

You have 2 options.
1) drill some holes on your intake manifold support (my mechanic did that on my car) to make fit the bolts

2) remove the intake manifold support, some of my buddies had make this without issues
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jhusey
You have 2 options.
1) drill some holes on your intake manifold support (my mechanic did that on my car) to make fit the bolts

2) remove the intake manifold support, some of my buddies had make this without issues
Thanks man! I went with option #2. It had all the EGR solenoids on it so that was a bonus weight reduction. I think the aftermarket intake manis don't use the support bracket either. Apparently the DSM guys have been taking these off for years.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I've had no issues on my IX or X running w/o the intake manifold support brackets.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
I've had no issues on my IX or X running w/o the intake manifold support brackets.
That's a relief to know.

The only bad thing so far is when I went to torque the passenger side generator bracket to the head (15lbs), the lower bolt didn't have enough material to torque and it stripped it. I'd say its only a few mm. I'm getting a 1/2" longer bolt to torque it down.

Is the generator support bracket needed. I'm not getting a clear view on the generator to see if the other bolt that's holding up the alternator is strong enough. Is anyone running without the generator support bracket that's connected to the IM?

Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what did you end up doing for the alternator bracket
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bader
what did you end up doing for the alternator bracket
I used a cut off wheel to notch out the hole. When I put the head back on, I realized that I needed to take more material out. I'll use a dremel for the rest of it.