Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Which Lancer to Buy?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2002, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which Lancer to Buy?

Hello everybody,
I am currently looking to buy a used Lancer and i was wondering which model is the best one to buy. Unfortunatly at the moment the evo 4/5/6/7 (base models not the evos) are a bit too expensive for me. I have been looking at the evo 3 and 2 base models instead. The 1994 CC Lancer Executive (1.8L 2wd) appears to be a pretty good choice, but i was wondering what everyone else thinks of this model? Are the internals all pretty solid? Similar to the GSR version (although not 4wd of course)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
Thank heaps!!!
-scott...:-)
Old Aug 3, 2002, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

Welcome.

Where are you located? Since different part of the world have different Lancers (1.5, 1.6 MIVEC, 1.8, 1.8 turbo AWD).
Old Aug 3, 2002, 05:20 AM

I live in Australia. We had quite a few models i think. Starting the 90's we had that crappy Lancer with the fat back. I think it was the SE or something? Then we had the CC coupe with the 1.5L engine, then for 2 years only we had the next CC Lancer (the 1.8L sedan i am looking at) then the CE Lancer came out in about 1996?
Yeah that probably isn't exactly right, but it is kind of hard to figure out!!!
Thanks heaps peoples!!!
Old Aug 3, 2002, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

If you're in Australia, I would suggest you to buy the Lancer MR (1.6 MIVEC) or the Lancer GSR (1.8 turbo, AWD) if you have a decent budget. However, if you're tight on that, you can get the 1.8 SOHC model, and spend some money with modification. RPW in Australia is a good place to start getting parts
Old Aug 3, 2002, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Here is the RPW website:

www.rpw.com.au

They have a turbo kit for normal Lancer (it's called Mirage in US) as well, hope this helps

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...&highlight=rpw
Old Aug 3, 2002, 06:04 AM

Hmmm sounds good. I don't think a 1.6 Mivec ever came into Australia? (Except in the FTO possibly, which i cannot afford ). And the GSR, well i would love one, but again it it a little too pricey. So for the 1.8 basically i guess what i am asking is whether you can turbo it and yet not have to overhaul all the internals to cope with the extra power?
Thanks heaps
Old Aug 3, 2002, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

yeah you can turbo the 1.8 and not have to overhaul everything in the engine if you keep the psi around 5-7 but if you wanted to go any higher than that you would need to do some work.
Old Aug 3, 2002, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by KGB General
Hmmm sounds good. I don't think a 1.6 Mivec ever came into Australia? (Except in the FTO possibly, which i cannot afford ). And the GSR, well i would love one, but again it it a little too pricey. So for the 1.8 basically i guess what i am asking is whether you can turbo it and yet not have to overhaul all the internals to cope with the extra power?
Thanks heaps
mmm...For some reasons, I have seen Lancer MR (1.6 MIVEC) on some Aussie's website. Maybe I just mis-read that.

Anyhow, you can turbocharged the 1.8 SOHC 4G93 engine at low boost level (less than 6-7psi) and that should give you a very decent horsepower gain. However, you do need to upgrade you fuel supply (more air into the engine means more needs for fuel ) On top of that, since you're having more power, brake and suspension should also be considered in order the achieve a balance vehicle

Good Luck
Old Aug 4, 2002, 05:04 AM

Hey thanks heaps guys you have been very helpful...:-)