Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

EVO vs. Building my STI

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2013, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO vs. Building my STI

Hey everyone,
I am brand new to this forum but hope to hang around even if I don't end up getting an EVO. Before I start, I want to say that I am not looking to turn this into an EVO vs. STI debate because I think that we have all read enough of those. Anyway, currently I am driving a 2013 Subaru WRX STI Limited Sedan. I have full bolt-on's and E85 and am making 362awhp and 411tq on COBB Tuning SoCal's Mustang Dyno. I am really happy with the car and love it but at my last visit at COBB, they found out that I am now leaking 9% on cylinder 4 which is the beginning of the infamous ringland failure that all Subaru owners fear. I am now debating whether or not to ditch the STI and go to an EVO (quite a few of my friend's have some pretty awesome EVO X) or build my STI and shoot for 450-500AWHP on E85 with the stock turbo. I was actually looking at the EVO X before I bought my STI but in the end, I preferred the looks of the STI and the interior features aside from the seats. The main reason I didn't get into an EVO was because I felt rushed into it and didn't have very much knowledge on the vehicle. I have heard of issues with the transfer case and transmission for the GSR 5-speed but was wondering how prominent that really is and if there are any other issues that are comparable to ringland failure in STI's. I appreciate both cars and know that they each have their ups and downs but want something that will be fast and reliable which I know is a tough request. I hope that I can get some opinions from some EVO X owners

here is a video of my STI for reference:

Old Oct 21, 2013, 02:52 PM

If you already have the STI at 362awhp/411tq, then I'd say keep it and spend the money on rebuilding the motor. I currently have a 2012 Evo, but I did think about getting an STI after my 2011 Evo was in an accident. I eventually decided on another Evo seeing as I had pretty much figured out most of the bugs that Evo's tend to have (like all cars do). Plus, I found it easier to work on the Evos (inline 4 vs flat 4), but that's kind of a personal preference. I'm a fan of both cars, but it sounds like you're at great starting point with your current setup.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an VIII so no experience with the Xs but if you already have mods to your STI then all that money will go to waste (unless you part out) when you purchase your next car. I think almost any vehicle at 400+ hp will have issues unless you throw a lot of money into over building.

These cars weren't designed to take that kind of punishment. Like the previous guy said, you probably have most of your bugs figured out plus it is a pain to sell a car and get another car.

Only way this would make sense is if you were able to part out your mods, sell / trade in your current car for good $$ then get a good deal on a X. There are usually quite a few already built ones for good prices too since you get basically nothing for aftermarket parts that are installed...
Old Oct 21, 2013, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

personally I would trade for the X. I like The GR STI. The main reason I would go evo is the fact that I have had a few friends with their STI's built at well known shops and have alot of issues with the platform itself.

I'm sure if you were to take a 400whp sti and then drive a 400whp right after you would be sold on the evo haha. They just feel so much faster IMO.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 03:43 PM

Like the answer above me, you can feel more pull in a 400whp evo than a 400whp sti. If you had 3k to spend on mods between an Evo and an STI the Evo will come out faster and more reliable, Evo's respond more quickly to mods than STI's. Personally I love the stiff handling in Evos, there both terrific cars but in my opinion Evos can be more reliable in the long end... if built right*
Old Oct 21, 2013, 05:11 PM

I have been in your same boat. I had a 2012 sti hatch that I got rid of and picked up a 2012 x. I have had a couple of subarus and wouldn say they are any harder to work on. They are just different to work on. So far with the same bolt ons the evo has been more reliable than my last sti. The transmision issues seem to be mostly the early x aside from the acd/ayc pump issues. I still like the subarus but I am happy with my x and would do it all over again if I was in the same position again.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:46 PM

Thank you all for your input! Not going to lie, I have been looking at EVO's all day and do wish I had gotten on from the start. I am very seriously considering joining the dark side :P
Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:50 PM

im also new here, i had a 2011 STi with everything i could bolt on to it on it.. i was going to build the engine like you but after pricing out all the parts and labor i decided to put the money toward my new 2014 Evo MR. Honestly i regret nothing, all my friends who ride in or drive my evo also agree that this car feels way better than my sti. I used to be a real die hard dsm guy.. but i gave subaru a try and have owned a 04 and 11 sti.. this is my first evo and i dont think ill be going back
Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by k3k0a
im also new here, i had a 2011 STi with everything i could bolt on to it on it.. i was going to build the engine like you but after pricing out all the parts and labor i decided to put the money toward my new 2014 Evo MR. Honestly i regret nothing, all my friends who ride in or drive my evo also agree that this car feels way better than my sti. I used to be a real die hard dsm guy.. but i gave subaru a try and have owned a 04 and 11 sti.. this is my first evo and i dont think ill be going back
Yeah I do love my STI but the EVO does have so much more to offer as of now. One thing that I am afraid of is the transmission going out on me though if I got an EVO
Old Oct 22, 2013, 03:15 AM
Evolving Member

Financially speaking u should stick with STI and build it
Old Oct 22, 2013, 04:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by denlin68
Financially speaking u should stick with STI and build it
Bump, I am not much if a fan of the Sti, but you have a good base to continue from. If you were to buy the evo, you wouldn't be wasting money, just spending more to get started
Old Oct 22, 2013, 04:28 AM
Evolved Member

honestly there is nothing really appealing to me about the sti's. I looked at them yrs ago but evo was just a better fit. I think if you scrapped the scoobie and started fresh with the evo, in the long run, you will be more happy, more reliable, and faster car. the tranny's hold up just fine.

For a stock, daily, I think the subie will be more comfortable.

that being said, you already own your subie, you already have a ton of mod $ in it, might make more sense to build, financially speaking.

if the money isnt a deciding factor, go evo and never look bacl.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 370zforme
Yeah I do love my STI but the EVO does have so much more to offer as of now. One thing that I am afraid of is the transmission going out on me though if I got an EVO
Honestly, I did a fair amount of research into the X before I got mine (about 4 months, 4k miles ago). My other option was the STI. One of the things my buddies who own Subie's always ripped on X's for was the transmission...but I think it's unfounded. New X transmissions are solid, although they're prone to being notchy and they grind...especially when cold.

Reliability wise, there are oodles of members on here with reliable, high horsepower Evo's.

I love the STI, and would say keep it if you'll end up losing big by making the switch...but I wouldn't trade my X for anything
Old Oct 22, 2013, 08:15 AM

I was actually in the same boat you were earlier this year. For so long I was always in love with the STI until I started looking into EVO X's and read all the great reviews about it and test drove a Wicked White GSR with the SSS package.

The SSS package has an amazing interior in my opinoion and I actually get compliments all the time. (leather recaro seats, nice lighting/hids and a sunroof) I also like how the car feels and I believe it's great for dialy driver. I will always have respect for subies but if you are going to mod you car, evo x can handle some good power reliably. (just make sure to go to a good tuner)

If you can take a hit on your wallet - get an evo (since you will have to sell all your sti parts or possibly trade in)

If you want to save money - build your sti

Btw, i've seen your videos before and your STI looks hella clean!
Old Oct 22, 2013, 08:20 AM

BTW do somes searches on here GSR transmission's for Evo X's and see what people's build's are and how their trannies are holding up. That will probably help you our since you can get people's experiences on how they are instead of basing it on what people just say.

Quick Reply: EVO vs. Building my STI