Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Newbie Zaino Question: Clearcoat???

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2004, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Newbie Zaino Question: Clearcoat???

Total Newbie question:
I'm about to order some stuff from Zaino and was wondering, is our paint clear coated? I thought all paint nowadays was, but I can't tell. The CF spoiler definitely is, but my car is yellow and the tell-tale shine of a clearcoat is hit or miss.

Just wondering if I needed the Z-2 or Z-3 in the order.

Thanks,
ac
Old May 18, 2004, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The answer.............maybe....

The reason I say this is I believe all Evo colors sport a clear coat, except Rally Red. (or whatever goofy name thye have for it) Its odd, but dont worry if you have red and feel you got screwed, the yellow Teggie Type Rs (phoenix yellow I believe) also did not have a clear coat. Obviously it didnt effect that car too much.....
Old May 18, 2004, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most everycar nowadays has a clear coat...get Z-2, but also get Z-5 is you have swirls and scratches.
Old May 18, 2004, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

get the Zaino for clearcoated cars...its what i use and it works well.
Old May 20, 2004, 07:52 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
The Z-2 and Z-5 combo is what you need. Z-3 is really intended for older cars.
Old May 20, 2004, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Got it. Thanks guys.
Old May 20, 2004, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

the other weekend i was polishing out a scratch, and zero paint came off of it... so yes we got clearcoat.. atleast my apex silver one hehe
Old May 20, 2004, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mitchubishi
Most everycar nowadays has a clear coat...get Z-2, but also get Z-5 is you have swirls and scratches.
most manufacturers DO NOT use clearcoat. most manufacturers are using a single stage paint becuase 1. it cheaper 2. cuts done on manufacturer time.

the other weekend i was polishing out a scratch, and zero paint came off of it... so yes we got clearcoat.. atleast my apex silver one hehe
--this means nothing, paint is hardened and SHOULD NOT come off. no mitsu cars use clearcoat. sorry, go ahead and argue as i know everyone will, but they do not. Its easy to tell, all the EVO paints suffer from SEVERE orange peel, a true sign of no clear coat, clear coat would have to be sanded and will be smoother.

Last edited by mprtklr; May 20, 2004 at 10:23 AM.
Old May 20, 2004, 12:18 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
The hardening/drying process creates a finish similar to a clearcoat as far as using Zaino goes. The Z-3 "non-clearcoat" is intended for cars that were painted at ambient temperatures and had no hardening - in other words, older cars or custom paint jobs that didnt' receive a clearcoat at the end.
Old May 20, 2004, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mprtklr
most manufacturers DO NOT use clearcoat. most manufacturers are using a single stage paint becuase 1. it cheaper 2. cuts done on manufacturer time.

--this means nothing, paint is hardened and SHOULD NOT come off. no mitsu cars use clearcoat. sorry, go ahead and argue as i know everyone will, but they do not. Its easy to tell, all the EVO paints suffer from SEVERE orange peel, a true sign of no clear coat, clear coat would have to be sanded and will be smoother.

Sorry, but are you willing to take your comments to MMCA? I ask because my window sticker clearly states clear coat, as I am looking at it right now. How do we explain this???

I have already explained why Mitsu suffers from a orange peal laddened finish in another thread, and basically it has to do with how they apply the paint. Rather than being sprayed, the car body is charged in the factory, and a powder substance (paint) is bonded to the charged surface. This results in less paint waist, as there is no over-spray. I do know though, as I clearly stated above, that the Red Evos do NOT have a clear coat, and according to some people who contacted MMCA almost a year ago on the same subject, every other Evo is rocking a clear....
Old May 20, 2004, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
Sorry, but are you willing to take your comments to MMCA? I ask because my window sticker clearly states clear coat, as I am looking at it right now. How do we explain this???

I have already explained why Mitsu suffers from a orange peal laddened finish in another thread, and basically it has to do with how they apply the paint. Rather than being sprayed, the car body is charged in the factory, and a powder substance (paint) is bonded to the charged surface. This results in less paint waist, as there is no over-spray. I do know though, as I clearly stated above, that the Red Evos do NOT have a clear coat, and according to some people who contacted MMCA almost a year ago on the same subject, every other Evo is rocking a clear....

my invoice also say "clear coat" and when my car was painted, it was sanded down, and produced no white "cear coat" residue, only black. And i have been around enough paint in my life to know that your method is NOT how cars are painted. that is how the rust inhibitor is painted, paint is still applied by robots they have for the past 5 years. you just got some good words, put them together to sound like you know what they hell you are talking about. but is of no consequence to the actual process. Oh and how else do i know? i worked for many years for toyota, and please dont tell me mitsubishi has a more sophisitcated paint process than toyota (remember, toyota is cash rich) who still paints with cans, machines and SINGLE STAGE PAINT.
Old May 20, 2004, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

I too have been around paint for a few years, and my best friend is the manager of a body shop. Have you been to Mitsu's facilities in Japan? Have you seen them paint cars? No? Well I suggest you get your attitude in order People like you that "know better" and have to be jerks about it sicken me. Im not here to start any pointless internet fights, so calm down son.

You speak of Toyota being cash rich, and not using the process I highlighted. Heres the reason, Toyota uses a traditional paint method because it yields better results, but at a higher cost. The process Mitsu uses and the one I explained might sound sophisticated (or sophisitcated as you said....), but in reality its relatively simple and its main purpose is to decrease material cost by eliminating waste. The result though is a orange peal laddened finish. Toyota might have used a single stage system a while ago, but almost every manufacturer abandoned single stage in the 80s. (For those of you wondering, the clear is blended into the paint and the whole mix is sprayed on in one finish) If the car has a metallic finish, I can assure you its at least a 2 stage paint....

Ill bet you the title to my car that it has a clearcoat, regardless what came off your car during prep.....

Last edited by Tristar; May 20, 2004 at 07:35 PM.