Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Newb Question about wheel size

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2004, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newb Question about wheel size

I'm prepared to take the heat for this question, but it is something i need to ask for my own mental well being...
What is the performance difference in getting larger wheels..I.E. 16 inch wheels upgraded to 17 inch wheels.
I understand they look cool, but if someone could maybe spare a second or two and help me stray away from ignorance, I would be most appreciative.
Thanks Buddays!
Old Aug 15, 2004, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

I think it depends. If they are lighter than the stock wheels, and wider than the stock wheels, and bigger than the stock wheels, then that is good. If they are bigger and heavier than you just added weight to you power to weight ratio. Like Chrome wheels are heavier, so the suck for racing. Atleast that's the way I understood it. If you just want your RA to look cool, and don't care about 1/4 mile time, then you can get some huge chrome wheels and blind people when you pull up next to them.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

I understand the idea of having a lighter wheel that is easier for the engine to spin, i am more curious about the actual size of the wheel and the advantages.

I think chrome wheels are a bad, bad idea
Old Aug 15, 2004, 09:44 PM

Larger wheels are generally used to host bigger tires, to give you a larger contact patch. Also, folks generally get a much lower-profile tire (less difference between tire diameter & wheel diameter) when upgrading their wheels, and that translates to less tire sidewall deformation in turns, and more control with quicker recoveries from turns.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

so the way i am thinking, a larger wheel covers more of a distance in one rotation..but it takes more power to move a larger wheel..so if i do not change the power of the car, but i make the wheel larger...carry the 2......common denominator....square root.......
..........................HELP!
Old Aug 16, 2004, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

The overall diameter should not change, otherwise you will need to recal your speedo. But like Jang said, a larger diameter wheel is usually to host a smaller sidewall which leads to less flex. Also, if you get a 7" wide wheel(versus stock) you can get a larger contact patch (also as Jang said). But you will not get more speed out of a larger wheel because you will get a smaller sidewall to counteract the wheel difference.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Ok, I understand what i need to, and it was close to what i was thinking. Thanks guys!