Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Why do you modify your car?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do you modify your car?

Sorry everyone for posting these questions but I'm conducting an ethnography for my class on the import car scene and one of my questions is "Why do men modify their car?" (or woman). Is it just for fun? Are you trying to show dominance on the road? Or anything at all jus throw me a reason what got you into modifying. I know for me, I started doing it for fun and to break necks haha. Thank you everyone for participating and helping me complete this. Im doing this for a class and I know some people were getting offended when I asked how females got involved. I wasn't trying to be prejudice, it's just a question that came up through doing secondary research.

If you respond, please provide your age and nationality. Also if you respond, you give me consent to use your post in my paper (don't worry it isn't being published anywhere lol)

Thanks again everyone, I hope my posts don't offend anyone and I get some honest responses (check out my other posts and answer those if you wish as well)
Have a good one, Lorenzo
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:49 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Hey, Lorenzo!
44yo, caucasian male
I modify mine to get the most out of my specific experience. I want the car to be as enjoyable and fun as possible. My definition of fun, that is. It's taken a number of years, but I now know the EXACT goals I have for my car(s). To be more specific: I do HPDE, the occasional TA, and some AX. I'm not after all-out top speed or the absolute fastest lap (I can't afford to right now, to be honest). I just want to have the most fun possible while doing these events. My car is definitely not for everyone LOL. I rarely drive the car on the road, but it is still road legal in the state of CA (another reason I haven't gone full-out "race car").
Secondly, I want my car to last as long as possible with as little maintenance as I can get away with. I have lots of OEM stuff still on the car. It's quite boring LOL. I don't get a second look at car shows and definitely don't break any necks. 100% function and I couldn't care any less about looks, to be honest. Not to say I wish it did look a bit nicer (track setups don't always look all that great when it comes to ride height, etc).

Is that the type of info you're looking for?

And I don't mind if you use or quote the post.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's perfect information thank you for your feedback . I feel you. I definitely prefer function over form. I barely have anything cosmetic related on my car. I have friends telling me I should put the car on bags and I just laugh at them because the roads out here in PA are trash. I scrape even when I'm on springs lowered about 1.25 inches.
Thanks again!
Old May 1, 2018, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I want to have the "ultimate" when it comes to performance things. In order to get that you will naturally need to stray from a stock street vehicle. Aren't many stock cars that give you suspension adjustability such as tuneable sway bars, compression and rebound adjustable dampers, swapping out spring rates, camber adjustments. Hard to alter a stock cars power curve, or tune it for different types of fuel. Not many AWD cars fit 275 front tires from the factory.

Stock you are stuck with what they have. Mod and the sky is the limit, you are only held back by your imagination (and $$$).
Old May 2, 2018, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
"you mod cause you can" quote by Jonno
Old May 2, 2018, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
19 white male
I grew up working on cars, and modifying cars is some of the most fun I have had. I really believe I do it because I enjoy it and I really enjoy speed and racing. I bought this specfic car knowing that things needed to be changed, and I dont think me or anyone in my family has had a car that has not been modified in some way. As an engineering student I also look for ways to improve upon old designs and make them perform better. When I am "done" with the build, I do not expect much anything to be stock and I expect nothing to go untouched or refinished. However I am not the type of person to buy something just so its not stock i.e radiator brackets, dress up pieces, etc. I have never done it for other people but only for my own enjoyment. At the end of the day I want streetable race evo lol
Old May 2, 2018, 08:17 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Jonno99
Did you just quote yourself in the third person?
Old May 3, 2018, 06:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Did you just quote yourself in the third person?
Actually wouldn't that be second person "you"?
Old May 3, 2018, 06:32 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
High grammar standards required, here, on the EvOM boards

Old May 3, 2018, 12:17 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by DeweyD

Actually wouldn't that be second person "you"?
No.

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
High grammar standards required, here, on the EvOM boards

Meh. Should be. I assume all of us have at least a middle-school education.
Old May 3, 2018, 01:00 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Meh. Should be. I assume all of us have at least a middle-school education.
Not throwing stones at Ya, Jason. Personally never did well in English (HS or College). Never could wrap my head around: Present participle, prepositional phrases, etc

Back on topic:
Nationality: American
I have modded ever vehicle Ive owned (off road & street). Modding, for me, gives the mechanical object some personality vs raw stock. Also, modding adds another level of performance, beyond what was originally designed into it.

I enjoy the raw, visceral experience of a vehicle that has elements of athleticism modified into it (something like that)

Joe

Last edited by MinusPrevious; May 3, 2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old May 3, 2018, 04:40 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Not throwing stones at Ya, Jason. Personally never did well in English (HS or College). Never could wrap my head around: Present participle, prepositional phrases, etc
:
Fo sho. I wasn't taking it that way
Old May 4, 2018, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
No.
Yes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammatical_person
Old May 4, 2018, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member