Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Anyone know Evo 9 engine stats?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2004, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know Evo 9 engine stats?

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the engine in the forthcoming evo 9. I know it is supposed to be a turbo 4g63 with MIVEC, but what kind of power should we expect and how would MIVEC affect tuning. I basically want to know if it would be well worth waiting another 9 months or so. There is lots of talk abouth the regular lancer with MIVEC, any speculation or knowledge of the evo out there though? And in case there is already a thread on this I searched for a while and found nothing coherent about the topic and if it is out there I apologize in advance.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

I searched and didn't come up with much either. Basically there is no 4G63T MIVEC engine in current production that we can base our speculations of the Evo 9 on, and for what it is worth we don't even know if the Evo 9 will come with the MIVEC engine.

If it does, which is what I am hoping for as well, then it should be worth the wait. Here are my assumptions:

The MIVEC 4G63T will use the dual intake lobe design that other MIVEC engines use

The engine will use a low-speed cam for off-boost performance and then switch over to a higher-speed profile

We can expect improved emissions, fuel economy, low rpm boost response etc

The cam switchover will make tuning more complicated, just as anyone who has tuned a VTEC turbo motor would maintain

MIVEC will increase valve timing flexibility, making aftermarket cams not as much of a bang-for-the-buck as they are now

Our cam selection will be dramatically limited until the aftermarket can grind their own MIVEC intake cam blanks. This means that a stroker motor that would need a bigger cam might not benefit from MIVEC until larger cams can be sourced

It would be really interesting to see a quite disparate MIVEC cam with a smaller than stock lobe for pre-spool and a JUN 272ish profile switch once into boost. Imagine faster spool with insane topend potential
Old Nov 14, 2004, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the info......I guess we'll have to see if they actually build it then. It sounds like it would be great though.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Considering the STi's power and potential power upgrades over the next year or so, the USDM version of the EVO IX is likely to get about 300hp. Some Japanese mags are claiming 320PS from the supposed 4G63T MIVEC...
Old Nov 24, 2004, 12:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fenris Ulf
and for what it is worth we don't even know if the Evo 9 will come with the MIVEC engine.
It IS coming out with the MIVEC in it (well im 90% sure ), seen pics of the engine being dynoed/tested at the Kansai tuning house in Japan in a local car magazine (as some of you would know Mukai San...head honcho at Kansai...has had a fair bit to do in developing the Evo's) and it had allll sorts of gizzmo's hooked up onto the rocker cover etc. The engine was in a JDM spec MR by the way