Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Evo Battle

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2007, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo Battle

Do you remember this video?

Evo vs M3 vs Ferrari
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aMhKTP1OHU

Ok, I would like to see it again, but now with all 2008 models.
08 Evo X vs 08 Ferrari F430 vs 08 BMW M3

How would be that battle in 2008?
Old Oct 16, 2007, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

^ could you also put their costs next to them to be fair!
Old Oct 16, 2007, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Wow great video that silver/champaign color evo even though it came 4th it owned that white ferrari and that yellow BMW on the corners.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha, the evo pwned the M3 in the corners!
Old Oct 16, 2007, 07:57 PM
CGK
Evolving Member

f*** the Ferraris and the M3s, Both cars attract more yuppies than they should and are overrated. Z06s can smoke them all day.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by k270kmh
Do you remember this video?

Evo vs M3 vs Ferrari
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aMhKTP1OHU

Ok, I would like to see it again, but now with all 2008 models.
08 Evo X vs 08 Ferrari F430 vs 08 BMW M3

How would be that battle in 2008?
The best lap time is 360 and then EVO VII GSR and then BMW. even the EVO VII finish the first. So if compare all with lap time: 08 F430 faster than 08 M3 and 08 EVO X will be the slowest lap time.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

As much as I enjoy watching Best Motoring videos, it is difficult to argue on rumors that a lot of their races are staged and/or biased.

1. There is no doubt the racers in it are good, but their skills vary a lot, and most of them have very fixed driving style and does not fit well with certain cars.

2. Apart from Keiichi Tsuchiya, most of them aren't rich at all. I'm not even sure if Keiichi himself is any rich. Japanese racers make way less money compared to European and American racers. Casts of video magazines in Japan barely make any, only the company that owns the video series do. So they will drive expensive European cars more carefully, plus they have very limited experiences with them, at least compared to test drivers of big car magazines.

3. They are sponsored.

All this video shows is that EVO is a very capable car and the show is very entertaining, but it does not prove that VII > 360 > E46 M3 will always be the result on that specific track or any other track.

I'm not a Euro car fan boy, but I just hate the fact that whenever they introduce a new car, it would always come first when raced with the 'competitors' they show. 350Z comes out, then rapes all the competitor, the new Civic Type-R comes out, rapes all including DC5 Integra Type-R and S2000. R34 GT-R and FD3S is the king on pretty much all the runs they show and would avoid competing with AE86 or NSX (although sometimes they do). Then they would show that AE86 or NSX is the boss on touge runs. It kind of reminds me of watching Dragonball Z or something.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4Trouble
As much as I enjoy watching Best Motoring videos, it is difficult to argue on rumors that a lot of their races are staged and/or biased.

1. There is no doubt the racers in it are good, but their skills vary a lot, and most of them have very fixed driving style and does not fit well with certain cars.

2. Apart from Keiichi Tsuchiya, most of them aren't rich at all. I'm not even sure if Keiichi himself is any rich. Japanese racers make way less money compared to European and American racers. Casts of video magazines in Japan barely make any, only the company that owns the video series do. So they will drive expensive European cars more carefully, plus they have very limited experiences with them, at least compared to test drivers of big car magazines.

3. They are sponsored.

All this video shows is that EVO is a very capable car and the show is very entertaining, but it does not prove that VII > 360 > E46 M3 will always be the result on that specific track or any other track.

I'm not a Euro car fan boy, but I just hate the fact that whenever they introduce a new car, it would always come first when raced with the 'competitors' they show. 350Z comes out, then rapes all the competitor, the new Civic Type-R comes out, rapes all including DC5 Integra Type-R and S2000. R34 GT-R and FD3S is the king on pretty much all the runs they show and would avoid competing with AE86 or NSX (although sometimes they do). Then they would show that AE86 or NSX is the boss on touge runs. It kind of reminds me of watching Dragonball Z or something.
I am 90% agree with you, but I do know the Keiichi Tsuchiya has a few car that include Porsche GT. In Japan most of import car cost almost double than here in USA. Also the track make different too. This track is best for turbo car wth 4WD. Some other larger track like Fisco speedway, I bet the result will be totally different.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

for me the biggest thing you have to understand when looking at BM is the start order. they go by hp or power/weight i don't remember. but the weaker cars go in the front. this is ok if you have MR2 vs NSX, the NSX will rape the MR2 very early and pull away. the problem is when you have the Evo vs STi battles and when the cars are evenly matched, driver skill and starting position have a LOT to do with it. 3 or 5 lap battles on a short circuit like tsukuba doesn't say much. in some of the older ones i remember the ferraris take at least 2 laps before they can get through traffic and pull away REAL far ahead. just goes to show you how important starting position is.

just take the results with a grain of salt and enjoy!
Old Oct 17, 2007, 01:43 PM
FLK
Evolved Member

Apart from BM, what other car mag races more than two cars on a real circuit every month? Not Top Gear, not Fifth Gear, and certainly not the pansy American car review shows.
What the brits like to do is blow things up and give away cars to get ratings while americans like to go in a straight line and review SUVs on a country road.
BM is all about performance, biased or not that's the one show I take seriously.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by FLK
BM is all about performance, biased or not that's the one show I take seriously.
Maybe you should rewrite that as, "BM is all about racing". If they were about performance, they would do a couple test laps with no other cars on the track and then post the best time for each car. That takes away alot of variables and focusing on the actual performance of a particular car.

With 6 cars on a small track like that, you add in variables for driver skill and backing off because the white ferrari in front of you spins out, now the 3 cars ahead break away even further. So not every car is acheiving it's top performance since they have to back off a little to not hit each other. Don't forget starting position as well.

The only car that could showcase all it's performance potential was the evo out front, he just had to drive the car as fast as he could make it go.

1 thing i do like about BM is they usually race cars against it's main competitors in their market segment. It really helps when you're ready to buy a car, you can see how they do against one another in a track.

Last edited by gggplaya; Oct 17, 2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

A lot of good points.

Yeah I didn't know Tsuchiya would be THAT rich, but not surprised with all that hype. I know he's a great driver with great personality but a little overrated IMO, his driving skill can't even come near Walter Rohl's.

Yes, starting position is very very important especially in a short race like theirs. Even in long races like F1 and LeMans, they make a big hassle of it, doing weight penalties n stuff (although this has more to do with standings).

Another point mentioned above was that they should concentrate more on individual lap times. This was also covered in one of their reviews for S2000. It performed awesome in almost all categories yet it was a slacker when running against competitions on track. They realized and pointed out how being stuck behind other cars during corners forcing it to go below its powerband, then have hard time pulling itself back out due to almost useless power band in the low rev range. A good reason high revving low torque engined cars like nsx, s2k, m3 and 360 not doing too well when they don't take 1st position after first corner.