Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Another restrictor pill help question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2004, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another restrictor pill help question

I seen a few posts on re-establishing the stock vac lines to use the Utec as boost control.
When I removed my stock lines for my HKS EVC, I lost the short line going to the compresor (I assume) with the restrictor pill in it.
I've seen a couple posts stating you don't need the other restrictor pill that goes to the slynoid, is this true? If so I could place it in the comp line.
Is there something I could use for a pill? Anybody know ID, I could drill my own if I have a small enough bit.
Maybe someone would be will to sell there's, I know it's a popular fix, or guys with aftermarket boost control.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

You don't need the restrictor pill in the line to the solenoid. You can also buy a vacuum line package from the dealer for about $14 that has all the hoses and pills together. That's what I did when I lost my pills.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks. Can anybody second not requiring the pill going to the solenoid?
Old Oct 22, 2004, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Yea, i was the one posting all the pill restrictor questions. Here is what I've learned:

You dont need the smaller pill that goes the solenoid. That should be in the line that is after the "T". The bigger pill is what you need. That pill goes to the turbo compressor nipple. The wastegate doest need any pill. Good luck... AFter you've done everything, it's worth it; so much easier to control boost...
Old Oct 22, 2004, 02:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
hehe.. I think I explained this one enough, but MasterEvo's got it... you don't need the one to the solenoid, but you DO need the one on the compressor line..
Old Oct 22, 2004, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

Could that be why I am getting a 4PSI to 6 PSI boost spike in my 3rd gear pulls? When I get on it in any gear at any RPM it hits 24 to 24.9 PSI the settles down to 17.5 to 18.0 by 7300. I’ve have checked for leaks but I have a hard pipe kit and there is little room for loss even in the BOV. I even tried connecting the compressor to the waste gate and using the ABC to bleed off boost and I still get the spike. But I'm not using any pills... just the vacuum lines.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 03:48 AM
EvoM Guru

If your missing the pill on the compressor side (one of the two pills) it will generally read very low..

Here's the problem..

1) You *NEED* this pill that goes to the vacuum source (compressor housing)
2) you *DO NOT NEED" the pill that goes to the solenoid
3) there is NO PILL on the wastegate side
4) You need to use the same size hose and T-Fitting as the factory hoses or you will get spiking.
3) Do not use 100% Duty cycle on your boost maps if possible, use something like 80-85% max, and use the ABC to bleed boost until you get to your desired level of boost at that point, that should prevent spiking.

If you get a large spike, and then it drops off to a very low boost level you can have one of several issues

allowing boost to bleed off real quick initially, then it doesnt bleed enough.. this usually sounds like, this usually sounds to me that there are
1) aftermarket vacuum lines of a different diameter at the wastegate, or compressor and a new T-Fitting was used
2) the restrictor pill on the compressor housing is the one from the solenoid line
3) a boost Leak somewhere
4) Inadequate vacuum source to the boost control solenoid and/or the same source is used to your Blowoff Valve / DV. (this is typical if you have upgraded your intercooler pipes and are missing the fitting off the discharge tube of the compressor before the intercooler)

If your not using ANY pills, you have two inherant problems.. you initially you will have to bleed a very large amoung of signal from the ABC to compensate for the missing restrictor pill in the line, and then not alot of adjustment in the solenoid.. So what does this mean? you may have a weak signal to the wastegate, hence the spike, then without enough restriction, you are overrunning the amount of bleed that you need as the pressure in the line builds, and the boost drops off sharply.. This is why that restrictor pill is needed on the compressor side, since only a very small amount of "boost signal" is needed to operate the actuator.

Also if possible check to be certain your actuator rod isn't bent and its adjusted correctly.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

OK list of things to do, got it.. I'll get back to you and let you know what happened
Old Oct 24, 2004, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4) Inadequate vacuum source to the boost control solenoid and/or the same source is used to your Blowoff Valve / DV. (this is typical if you have upgraded your intercooler pipes and are missing the fitting off the discharge tube of the compressor before the intercooler)

This one is confusing...doesn't the boost control solenoid discharge into the turbo inlet pipe?

distribution: Turbo discharge; line to "T", one side line to wastegate diaphragm, the other line to boost solenoid...boost solenoid discharges to turbo inlet pipe.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 10:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Yes, but the SOURCE of the vacuum/boost comes from the compressor discharge pipe (black metal fitting near the actuator)

If you upgraded your intercooler pipes, the original fitting may no longer be there, and you have to give it a different vacuum source, many people get that source from the line that runs to the diverter valve, unfortunately, depending on the size of the line and the T fitting you placed on there, you can bleed off too much pressure from the DV, or not have an adequate signal (or inconsistent) to the solenoid... Both will result in boost tapering or other weird "symptoms"

You are correct about the distribution, however you forgot the major piece.. the source..

you have a T, with two short lines on it, there's one line with a restrictor in it, that goes to the Boost source (The black metal fitting on the compressor outlet), the other short line goes to the wastegate actuator (If you mix those up you will get about 10.5psi of boost no matter what) then a longer line that goes to the solenoid which has a restrictor in it.. Then the last line which goes from the solenoid to the intake tube.. The last line is not needed at all other than to have a place to get/dump filtered air, but it does nothing to contribute to boost levels unless it gets blocked or kinked.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

OK so I checked all my pipes no boost leakes... I went to mits and got the factory lines from the solenoid to the compressor and the wastgate and put them in with no ABC and the utec is set at 75%.. It still spikes to 25PSI then tapers down to 17.. WTF
Old Nov 9, 2004, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DXL007
OK so I checked all my pipes no boost leakes... I went to mits and got the factory lines from the solenoid to the compressor and the wastgate and put them in with no ABC and the utec is set at 75%.. It still spikes to 25PSI then tapers down to 17.. WTF
What the HELL, 25 psi, you better be careful. What firmware are you using on the Utec?
Old Nov 9, 2004, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

1.7 and there map unmodified
Old Nov 9, 2004, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

DO you have a wideband 02 in your car at the moment.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

I just ordered the complete vac line setup from the dealer to replace my lost restrictor pill.

It has been posted before, but Ill post it here again. The part number for the vac line setup which includes all 3 vaclines and the "T" all assembled is: MN143555 It cost just around $20 with tax.

Quick Reply: Another restrictor pill help question