Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

newbzie question-

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2005, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newbzie question-

Hey, I have a 2003 evo 8. Just for kicks and giggles I wanted to turn my BOV out (open atmosphere), and just cap the hole to the intake. To do this I was informed that with my AFC 2 I would have to mess with the d-cel air. (which unless I am mistaken is normally set to the off position (aka, ****)) I did this, turned it out (which is ungodly loud, I love it) BUT I know I dont have the settings right...it still has issues having to be VERY rich just to keep it idling. So my question is more on the lines of, How the D.cel air mode works, and what I should keep in mind as far as how to tune it. and i suppose also, am I stupid for trying to do this with my BOV? or am I wasting my time.

Current mods (if that matters)
Borla 3" TB exhaust (no CAT)
K&N drop in filter
MBC boosting about 21psi
intercooler piping
S-AFC II
crazy person behind the wheel
Old Jul 28, 2005, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blew all money
Hey, I have a 2003 evo 8. Just for kicks and giggles I wanted to turn my BOV out (open atmosphere), and just cap the hole to the intake. To do this I was informed that with my AFC 2 I would have to mess with the d-cel air. (which unless I am mistaken is normally set to the off position (aka, ****)) I did this, turned it out (which is ungodly loud, I love it) BUT I know I dont have the settings right...it still has issues having to be VERY rich just to keep it idling. So my question is more on the lines of, How the D.cel air mode works, and what I should keep in mind as far as how to tune it. and i suppose also, am I stupid for trying to do this with my BOV? or am I wasting my time.

Current mods (if that matters)
Borla 3" TB exhaust (no CAT)
K&N drop in filter
MBC boosting about 21psi
intercooler piping
S-AFC II
crazy person behind the wheel
You're being dumb. Return your BOV to it's proper orientation, then re-tune your car so that it gets back to normal. Extra noise is not worth the loss of power, crappy tuning, and compressor surge.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
You're being dumb. Return your BOV to it's proper orientation, then re-tune your car so that it gets back to normal. Extra noise is not worth the loss of power, crappy tuning, and compressor surge.
Did...actually I did before I even made the thread. I was wondering if it was possible to NOT have it run crappy but still vent to atmosphere. Although, I am still curious as to how to tune the dcel air. If anyone has experience in messing with it etc... I am interested just to "fill the void".
Old Jul 30, 2005, 10:36 AM

I'm pretty sure the dcel function doens't work on Evos... But it does on DSMs. If you want the noise, buy an AEM and get rid of the MAF.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by blew all money
Did...actually I did before I even made the thread. I was wondering if it was possible to NOT have it run crappy but still vent to atmosphere. Although, I am still curious as to how to tune the dcel air. If anyone has experience in messing with it etc... I am interested just to "fill the void".
It's beyond my technical knowledge but my understanding that venting a blow-off valve to air with a DSM product never works well. As you said"It runs crappy" !
Old Jul 30, 2005, 01:13 PM

I am not sure on afcII but on my talon with afc1 dcel function does not work. HKS sells a black box[ not sure of name] that intercepts signal and you have no prob runnin atmosphere
Old Jul 30, 2005, 07:58 PM

yeah, I had a 1g TSI talon, that it worked running open atmosphere. Didn't know if there was actually a functionable use for the evo or not. I'm trying to figure out just everything that it can do =)
Old Jul 31, 2005, 12:25 PM

the dec.air function on works w/ the hotwire setup, and since we run a karman sensor, it won't work for us.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 09:19 AM

It worked on mine, but I thought the noise that loud got real annoying.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 02:23 PM

just buy a bov if you like the sound. a sard one can be picked up for like 215 shipped and just cap it off with a powerade cap....
Old Dec 17, 2005, 10:43 PM

for any VTA BOV, can't u tune the AFR so there's no idle/stall probs???
Old Dec 17, 2005, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4GEvo63
for any VTA BOV, can't u tune the AFR so there's no idle/stall probs???
No, the BOV has nothing to do with AFRs. You're thinking of an intake, the other stupid mod that people love to do for sound purposes.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
No, the BOV has nothing to do with AFRs. You're thinking of an intake, the other stupid mod that people love to do for sound purposes.
Why are you such a douchebag? The intake isn't going to create idle/stall problems. It might cause the car to run rich under WOT, but idle/stall problems are negligable.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
but yeah another noobie question would i have reflash or can i just get a s-afc 2?..
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

dcel air doesnt work with MAF at all it is for hot wire type AF sensors

Quick Reply: newbzie question-