Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

MPS_UTEClogger 2.3

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2005, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've sent logs and screen shot to Jason for troubleshooting. He thinks he found the problem... the log mapper is looking at the ECU timing instead of the UTEC timing. He will fix this bug in his next release.
Ok, I think the problem is fixed and there is a NEW release 2.4 up on the download page now. You guys try it out and let me know if it's good now. I found the problem to effect the ECU timing, UTEC timing, and IDC columns. For some reason, TurboXS re-arranged them on the Evo for no particular reason...

New feature too! Ability to save out Log Maps to a spreadsheet (.csv) file. You can import them to Excel or Works and view/manipulate/print them anyway you want. Handy little feature that some of you had also requested. You can choose any or all of the 8 LogMaps to export.

-jason
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

Thank was some quick work, Jason!!!
Old Aug 12, 2005, 04:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmussetter
Ok, I think the problem is fixed and there is a NEW release 2.4 up on the download page now. You guys try it out and let me know if it's good now. I found the problem to effect the ECU timing, UTEC timing, and IDC columns. For some reason, TurboXS re-arranged them on the Evo for no particular reason...

New feature too! Ability to save out Log Maps to a spreadsheet (.csv) file. You can import them to Excel or Works and view/manipulate/print them anyway you want. Handy little feature that some of you had also requested. You can choose any or all of the 8 LogMaps to export.

-jason
sweet. i can't wait to get my stuff totally installed and try all this out..
Old Aug 12, 2005, 09:59 AM

Thank was some quick work, Jason!!!
No problem, thanks for the logs and screen shots of the problem, it helped me spot the issue right away...

BTW, I noticed from some of you guys' logs that Evo's are running some REALLY low Timing advance. I've heard this before, but I've never seen a tune with 0deg advance! Wow, you must have a VERY efficienct motor...

-jason
Old Aug 12, 2005, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

nope, it's just the ecu is wimpy with the timing. I myself get negative timing. Thanks for the update.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Sweet deal. Now I just have to be patient for a few more hours till UPS gets here with my wideband. I have my laptop already set-up for a tuning only computer now.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 11:49 AM

nope, it's just the ecu is wimpy with the timing. I myself get negative timing.
Even then, I noticed that the UTEC was only bringing it up to ~+5deg. The WRX's run anywhere from +15 to +27 deg timing (at full boost). The stock ECU idles at +34deg... That's a BIG difference. I've NEVER seen negative timing before... If we did that on WRX's, it would be like having an Anti-Lag system...

-jason
Old Aug 18, 2005, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Im new to this whole thing, im getting a utec soon and i have the AEM Uego, how do i go about hooking it up to a serial port on a computer, there are 4 wires comming off the guage obviously 2 are power and ground, where do i connect the other 2 and with what? do i simply just get a part from my local pc store?
Old Aug 18, 2005, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nez136
Im new to this whole thing, im getting a utec soon and i have the AEM Uego, how do i go about hooking it up to a serial port on a computer, there are 4 wires comming off the guage obviously 2 are power and ground, where do i connect the other 2 and with what? do i simply just get a part from my local pc store?

Very easy, next time you come over Ill show you how I have mine hooked up. Even my limited knowledge of computers even did it. Oh and get a laptop also, it'll make your tuning a lot easier or just use mine.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 08:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jmussetter
Even then, I noticed that the UTEC was only bringing it up to ~+5deg. The WRX's run anywhere from +15 to +27 deg timing (at full boost). The stock ECU idles at +34deg... That's a BIG difference. I've NEVER seen negative timing before... If we did that on WRX's, it would be like having an Anti-Lag system...

-jason
Its relative to the base timing on the car.. Thats why it looks different than the WRX..
Old Aug 19, 2005, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

FU<K YEA! i can't wait to start logging and tunning my car!!!!!!!!!FINALLY!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 21, 2005, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

How is the hookup for the UEGO done, since there is a 1 wire output for the logging and there isn't a serial cable for it. Trying to get a DB9 cable hooked into this thing.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 07:48 PM

I havn't seen the AEM in person, however I do know for ANY serial connection, you need 2 wires for 1-way data, or 3 wires for 2-way data. In a 1-way data, there would be a TX wire for the data, and a ground wire (possibly a common ground to the AEM wideband in this case?) To connect to most PCs, you would need to connect it on a DB9 connector. The signal wire, would need to go to pin2 (which is RX on a PC), and the ground would have to go to pin5 on the DB9, as this is the common DB9 ground pin.

The common connection for a 1 way:

TX wire on device -> DB9 pin2
Gnd wire on device -> DB9 pin5

The common connection for 2 way serial:

same as above, plus...
RX wire on device -> DB9 pin2

Some serial devices have pins 2 and 3 swapped however, in this case you may need to reverse 1 end of the connection (or plug a "Null Modem DB9" adapter in-line with the serial cable, thus effectivly swapping pins 2and3)

Good luck!

-jason
Old Aug 21, 2005, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds easy enough. I'll report back on if it works or not. Actually Nez will, it's going on his car, I was just internet access at the time.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for making the program Jason. I cant wait to try it out!

--Josh

Quick Reply: MPS_UTEClogger 2.3