Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

SAFC help on '03 stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2006, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAFC help on '03 stalling problem

anyone know if an SAFC, either 1 or 2, would get rid of the stalling issue on the '03's when they have AC on and going from high to low rev.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

if you have a aftermarket bov this can cause stalling issues and the safc2 cannot help this
Old Jan 7, 2006, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by grico42
anyone know if an SAFC, either 1 or 2, would get rid of the stalling issue on the '03's when they have AC on and going from high to low rev.
Um, that's not the right question. Your question should be to find out what is causing the stalling. It's not like there is some standard stalling issue that happens to all 03s. There are many different causes for idling/stalling problems, so you need to troubleshoot that first.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 05:58 PM

sorry to jump in on this so late. but I have the same issue with my 2003. I have a apxei intake, Hks blow off valve with recirc kit, 3 " down pipe, and cat back exhaust, walbro 255 fuel pump, and an SAFC II. I stall out erraticlly. one day it will constintly stall out and the next be fine. Mine stalls like the other guys 2003, when I go from driving and I push in the clutch, the Rpms drop and the car stalls out. some times it will come close to stalling and the batt, oil and air bag lights all come on, but then the rpms will jump back up and it will be fine. About every other time it stalls it will throw a CEL. I reciently got a datta loger for my laptop to clear the CEL and find out the issue. It was two sensors, the crank position sensor and the cam position sensor.
I am not sure grico42, if this sound like the same issue. if it sounds familiar I can tell you the SAFC II has not been able to fix it yet. but I am still working on it.. if you hear a differnt thing that could be causing it, please also let me know too. My car stalls out at just the wrong times. like when I am going around a tight turn and then... no power steering. not good to be comming off a freeway off ramp and not be able to turn.
any one please help us out
thanks
Old Mar 12, 2006, 04:59 PM

good luck on finding the problem
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My '03 does the same thing. Runs fine for a few hours and then bam stall stall stall. It does throw a code every once in a while. It throws the same codes gtownevolution mentioned. Those two codes appear because you stall it, they do not cause the problem. I only get those codes after it stalls and it is usually about 1 a month. I didnt have these problems until I installed my AFC and injectors. I think it is bad tuning myself. I am still working on it.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

your question is short. their are many possibility of stalling, first it would help if you list us yor mods? on the other hand the two common stalling issues are Cams and VTA bov. another way is to turn your throttle body two turn counter clock wise to bump up your idle.

Last edited by vboy425; Jul 23, 2006 at 05:59 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 01:09 PM

I just recently had the S-AFC II installed along with a new intake and I've been having similar problems. The car will shut off on sharp turns and sometimes when I'm coming to a stop. Also when I sit there and rev the engine up to about 5000 rpms the rpm will drop way below 1000 and the car will start shaking like it's going to kill and then the rpms go back to 1000. I also have a HKS ssq BOV and my mechanic seems to think that too much air is being released and the engine's computer thinks its still being recirculated back into the engine. Any thoughts?
Old Jul 23, 2006, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Armys_Evo
I just recently had the S-AFC II installed along with a new intake and I've been having similar problems. The car will shut off on sharp turns and sometimes when I'm coming to a stop. Also when I sit there and rev the engine up to about 5000 rpms the rpm will drop way below 1000 and the car will start shaking like it's going to kill and then the rpms go back to 1000. I also have a HKS ssq BOV and my mechanic seems to think that too much air is being released and the engine's computer thinks its still being recirculated back into the engine. Any thoughts?
ugh...please...god...search...

BINGO! your mechanic is right! Haven't people learned that any BOV recirculated or not isn't for lighly modded cars?

and on a final note forget the SAFC and buy the $90 cable from www.tactrix.com, download the FREE EcuFlash software and reflash your ecu instead of tuning it with such an imprecise tool like the SAFC.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 04:13 PM

So tell me how simple this whole flash stuff is. I hear about it all the time...it's not something that i'm going to have to mess with all of the time or anything is it? buying the bov was pretty unintellegent on my part 3 years ago and if i had to go back i wouldn't have done it. My mechanic is gettin a hold of some piping or tubing that will recirculate the bov...i've had the safc II for less then a month. how much do u think i could re sell it for?
Old Jul 23, 2006, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shiftdsm E
ugh...please...god...search...

BINGO! your mechanic is right! Haven't people learned that any BOV recirculated or not isn't for lighly modded cars?
WTF ?? Either yuo are an idiot or you miss type something or even wording it wrong. by the way our stock car have an BOV if you haven't know that already.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

just get the jdm metal bov and the safc is fine for now, it's really easy to tune, but a flash would be better. Preferbly from a pro.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 04:23 PM

yes i know the car had a stock bov before, but i wanted one opened to the atmosphere to turn heads, plus i really liked the sound. now that i'm trying to make it more for performance and hp that doesn't appeal to me as much...there's a metal jdm bov vs. the plastic stock one? Are the flash gains similar to the safc or are they a little better?
Old Jul 23, 2006, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Flaming aside about the bov and sound............Yes there's a metal bov that the ones in japan got and we didn't. They're stronger and inexpensive compared to other bov's.

As far as safc vs. a flash. There's many threads about the two and I'll just skip all the drama and tell you that with a flash the most noticable thing you'll see is tq. You tend to lose some when tuning with a safc.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 07:59 PM

Thanks for the feed back manny. I'll look more into the bov and the flash. Could a flash be done with a safc or would it have to be one or the other?

Quick Reply: SAFC help on '03 stalling problem