Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

S-AFC II vs. S-AFC Neo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S-AFC II vs. S-AFC Neo

I am about to purchase a S-AFC II -or- S-AFC NEO. I was just wondering if the NEO is worth the extra 100 bucks? What is the main difference between the two? I know that the S-AFC II has like 12 points to tune and the NEO says it has like 16 points and the NEO incorporates the VAFC and has a color screen, but is it really worth the extra money? Also, does the boomslang harness work with it? or is there a newer harness available for it? I just wanted the input of others, on which unit I should purchase. Any feedback/help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think you should get either, because neither will be as good as flash and both will cost more than a flash. Save your money and get a mail-in flash, then use the free EcuFlash software to store and load multiple maps and even tune yourself if you want to.

If you still choose to get an SAFC, then I suggest getting a USED SAFC II with patch harness from someone on here for like $150. There's like 5 people trying to get rid of theirs on dcevoclub.com, because there's just no reason to have one anymore.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

I've been kinda looking at updating my ECU also, either a flash or stand alone, but they're kinda pricey. I've seen the AEM stand alone is about 1600, how, about how much would I be looking to spend on a flash? and how long will it take? my evo is my daily driver, so that is kinda an issue, but I'm sure I can work around that...
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$50 for email flash
$95 for cable
no downtime since you can do it your self with a laptop

its called ECU flash and you can also use it to finetune the flash you got.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Um, yeah, you don't really mention a flash in the same sentence as a standalone. They are on entirely different ends of the specturm. I highly doubt you want a standalone, so forget about that. A flash takes no time and is very simple. As elhalisf said, you just need the $90 flashing cable from Tactrix.com, the free flashing software from openecu.org, and then you can get $50 e-flashes from Dynoflash that you receive via email and load yourself. No downtime, very cheap, and you can keep multiple maps for different situations (pump gas, race gas, stock, valet mode, etc.).
Old Jun 2, 2006, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Um, yeah, you don't really mention a flash in the same sentence as a standalone. They are on entirely different ends of the specturm. I highly doubt you want a standalone, so forget about that. A flash takes no time and is very simple. As elhalisf said, you just need the $90 flashing cable from Tactrix.com, the free flashing software from openecu.org, and then you can get $50 e-flashes from Dynoflash that you receive via email and load yourself. No downtime, very cheap, and you can keep multiple maps for different situations (pump gas, race gas, stock, valet mode, etc.).

I've heard of this software but I have a question. You would create these maps and store them on your lap top, but only one map can be stored at a time right? In reality your flashing your ecu like Al does except your doing it yourself? So my final question if these above statements are true is how many times can an ecu be flashed or is it limitless?

Thanks
Old Jun 2, 2006, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, that is how it works. Either you make your own maps through your own custom tuning using the software, or you leave the tuning to an expert, pay a nominal price, and then do the flashing and re-flashing whenever you want and whenever the situation dictates it (new mods, racing, dealership visit, valet parking, etc.).

Mitsu states you can do 100 FULL flashes guaranteed, so that's all we know for sure, but the thing to remember is that when you change a parameter like fuel or timing, that is not a full flash. There are tons of parameters in the ECU, and we usually only change a few, so that 100 FULL flashes becomes 1000 partial flashes or whatever.

Al from Dynoflash has done his own ECU several thousands times.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Yes, that is how it works. Either you make your own maps through your own custom tuning using the software, or you leave the tuning to an expert, pay a nominal price, and then do the flashing and re-flashing whenever you want and whenever the situation dictates it (new mods, racing, dealership visit, valet parking, etc.).

Mitsu states you can do 100 FULL flashes guaranteed, so that's all we know for sure, but the thing to remember is that when you change a parameter like fuel or timing, that is not a full flash. There are tons of parameters in the ECU, and we usually only change a few, so that 100 FULL flashes becomes 1000 partial flashes or whatever.

Al from Dynoflash has done his own ECU several thousands times.

Obviously you would be an idiot not to pay Al the fifty bucks to have his tuning experience. If I implied that it wasn't worth it to have Al be involved I would smack myself.

Warrtalon, thanks for the info and fast reply.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 05:00 AM
Evolving Member

i hadn't seen the $50 deal, is that after al initially flashes it?
Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

It seems Dynoflash are not responding anymore, their Order link on their website is down, no reply to emails... whats up?
Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

He never responds anyway. You don't contact him through the order link or email. You call on the phone or PM via EvoM, because so many people contact him all the time now that it's impossible to keep up. Always PM me if you have questions, but when you're ready to purchase something, contact him.

05GraphiteMR, no, it's $50 for the e-flash period. You just need the flashing cable and flashing software to do it yourself.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:33 PM

Is there already a harness out for the 9?
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:34 PM

btw, i a have new S-AFC NEO for sale. if anyone is interested. $325 shiped.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

No, there is no harness for the IX.

$325 for an SAFC? Ouch, man that hurts...more than a flash.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:31 PM

yea...i got it for 350.00, but i dont need it anymore.

Quick Reply: S-AFC II vs. S-AFC Neo