Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Can I Adjust My MBC While Having A Tune?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2007, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can I Adjust My MBC While Having A Tune?

All right guys I have a IX with a cat less TBE and road tune. I just got my clutch, SS clutch line, intake, and MBC installed yesterday.

When my car got tuned it was set at 19 PSI with the factory ECU. The boost is solid and doesn't jump around. My question is once I break in my clutch how should I adjust my boost controller? Can I adjust the boost controller without risking something or should I just take it to my tuner and have him adjust it?

How does it work I hear I have to get my tune adjusted for the added boost I want to run is that right? When I take it to my tuner how does he adjust it? Would I have to do pulls again for him to adjust it?

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 14, 2007, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now that you have the proper supporting mods, yes we'll raise the MBC and then tune the AFR for that given amount of boost. Raising the boost to where you should be now, given you were dial'd in at your previous state of mods will result in a dangerous situation. Gimme a call bud.

Last edited by inco9nito99; Oct 14, 2007 at 11:14 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by inco9nito99
Now that you have the proper supporting mods, yes we'll raise the MBC and then tune the AFR for that given amount of boost. Raising the boost to where you should be now, given you were dial'd in at your previous state of mods will result in a dangerous situation. Gimme a call bud.
hey long time know see, yea i had hugh install every thing since he gave me a great deal. anyways i have to wait in tell the break in period is over then i will be giving you a call.

Thanks
Old Oct 15, 2007, 01:55 PM
Account Disabled

depends on your tuner, but I prefer my customers set the boost to a known good level for the mods/octane etc... then let me dial the fuel/timing in around that.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 01:15 AM
Evolved Member

So once you have your MBC, set it to a desired level then tune. Can you adjust further without retuning or must it be retuned every time you bump it up or down 1 PSI

thanks
Old Feb 26, 2008, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

^^good question. im curiouse as well except i have a ebc and meth and i dont plan on running 29 psi w/meth all the time.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 07:08 AM
Account Disabled

your tune is based on the mods/boost/octane so naturally if you change any of those the tune isn't going to be right anymore.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 07:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 80210
So once you have your MBC, set it to a desired level then tune. Can you adjust further without retuning or must it be retuned every time you bump it up or down 1 PSI

thanks
Increasing 1 or 2 psi probably isn't going to change a whole lot considering boost fluctuates with weather anyway and tuning is not an exact science but any more than that and you will be hitting fuel and timing load cells you were not hitting before. Your timing and fuel might be ok at those new levels but the only way to find out is to log with a wideband. For example, if you increase your boost but the new load cells you hit cause you to go way rich with reduced timing then you are not going to gain much power or if increased boost causes knock then you could do damage. My 2 cents.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 07:45 AM
Account Disabled

for what it's worth, my fuel and timing maps are tapered to lower values for higher loads so if boost goes higher, the ECU sends less timing and more fuel.

However, that doesn't guarantee it's safe to raise boost and it's likely not going to make more power