Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Tuning software most like dsmlink

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tuning software most like dsmlink

Which is most like dsmlink? I understand link very very well and I currently have AEM EMS sitting on my shelf, but I dont want to wire it up becuase I'm afraid I'll run into tons of hiccups causing the evo to sit in the garage even more.

I was going to order ecuflash, but all these ROMS and things are confusing me.

Does anyone have a base map for AEM EMS, or which route should I go that's most like dsmlink?

Thank you
Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you mean with the slider bars and that kinda ease? I haven't used all that are out there, but as far as I know there's none like dsmlink. The rom stuff can be a little intimatating at first, but you just have to read up and get familiar with it. If you are really concerned about ease then maybe Greddy emanage.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Not really concerned. I just want something that will get my by until I upgrade everything at once on my car (AEM EMS, cams, turbo, injectors, fuel pump, etc). I have almost everything, but I can't just drop my cams in and be good. If I were to do cams, I'd have to put my EMS in, which would require tuning it and then it begins.

I just want something that will run without having to switch over to a complete standalone like AEM, something inbetween AEM and a stock ECU.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^^I second that. I'm very familiar with AEM but stand alone is not an option since my car is a DD and needs to pass inspection/emissions. Anything out there that plugs right into the serial port like the Cobb tuner that can adjust the stock ECU?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

Is anyone using DSMlink in their evo? I know its pretty much a drop in the evo's minus switching a few wires for the fans. I saw some threads on this a while ago but nothing recently.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 01:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
No. DSMlink is old tech. Even they updated their stuff to ECMlink and made it like ECUFlash.

The stock ECU with ECUflash is the #1 tuning solution for EVO. The stock ECU has made 1050hp and has ran 9s. Most will use the stock ECU over AEM, thats how great it has gotten. The stock ECU can even do speed density, if needed/wanted.

I strongly suggest you look into running a Stock ECU and ECUFlash
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Correct. I was using V.3 ECMlink on my dsm, and I know it pretty much inside and out, with the exceptions of the new add-ons they've recently came out with.

I would like to go with the stock ECU, but I've heard that the SD on it is pretty hard to setup???

Am I limiting myself if I go with ECMlink over everything else?

Thank you
Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 420a-t
Correct. I was using V.3 ECMlink on my dsm, and I know it pretty much inside and out, with the exceptions of the new add-ons they've recently came out with.

I would like to go with the stock ECU, but I've heard that the SD on it is pretty hard to setup???

Am I limiting myself if I go with ECMlink over everything else?

Thank you
You should defiantly do the stock ECU on ECUflash, since you have experience with ECMlink.

About the stock ECU and SD, first, the stock MAF has been proven up to 700whp. Second, SD on the stock ECU isnt the hardest thing to setup and can be done by an experienced ECUflash user. Also, people are working on SD 2.0 for the stock ECU, which will be better then the current SD mod.

You would be limiting yourself, being that the stock EVO ECU is probably the most developed stock ECU (Moddded ROMs, Alternate maps, PSI boost control, SD, live mapping, etc, etc.).

My opinion, start out with and try the stock ECU and ECUflash first. Im sure your be plenty happy with it. And when you wanna make another step, go SD on the stock ECU.