Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

DSMlink

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
DSMlink

I know this has been covered, but I havent gotten all my answers yet. I am coming from a DSM background, I went from a 1g Eclipse GSX to a 2g Eclipse GSX to my Current Galant Vr4. I run ECMlink V3 with speed density in my vr4 because its simple and easy to tune with. I know Dsmr's use Evo VIII Ecus in their 1gs and 2gs, and I know that some of you VIII Users, user the 2g ecu with Ecmlink. I was now wondering, for those of you running it or have ran it. What is needed besides the ECU and Ecmlink? Where can I get a patch harness and which harness is it that I need? Thanks
-Shane
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I got mine from RRE for $100 a long while ago, but it looks like the price has gone up since then.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evo.htm
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Its really not worth it at all to go DSMlink on an EVO.

Your better off going with the stock EVO 8 ECU and ECUFlash. There is a SD option available.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boost Demon
I got mine from RRE for $100 a long while ago, but it looks like the price has gone up since then.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evo.htm
that jumper harnesss is a direct plug and play from EVO--->Ecmlink 2g ecu?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
Its really not worth it at all to go DSMlink on an EVO.

Your better off going with the stock EVO 8 ECU and ECUFlash. There is a SD option available.

I only like Ecmlink because its easy for me to use. I have the programs all on my Laptop, and Im familiar with it. How is it using EcuFlash vs Ecmlink?
-Shane
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
ECMlink V3 is a good deal for Evo 8's actually. If I could run it on my IX I would. There is a substantial difference between Opensource which is only as good as the user and V3 which is a polished, efficient product you have to pay for.

There is a possibility that there will be ECMlink for Evolutions in the future, it is something we have discussed with Thomas before.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

If you get the harness you'll have to swap some wires around and splice into one wire on the Evo wiring harness behind the stereo to get it going, so it's not plug-n-play. Do a search in the ECM Link forums for "EVO Link" and you'll see that the only side effect is that one of the fans in the engine bay stays on continually unless you do the fix for it. I believe that the logging rate is faster with ECMLink, so if you have V3 and know how to use it, why not?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for all the info guys. I will be looking into this further. Do you all know if the Dual Map works the same way on a 2g as a Evo the way Link sets it up? Ex: 1g/2g use the idle switch grounding point as a map swap.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

I've been out of it for a couple years now, but worst case, you could always label/save the 2nd map and load it from the lap top when the time came I guess.

This is random, but one other thing I also I liked about using Link was the ability to control the knock sensor sensitivity at different RPM/throttle positions.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:02 PM
Former Sponsor

I would still just grab a cable and use ECUflash. Using ECMlink on an EVO seem like a hassle and not worth it at all. And theres a reason why kids install EVO ECUs into 2G DSMs.

BTW, running dual maps with ECUFlash is very easy.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could contact Thomas Dorris from Ecmlink and see if they are still modding the 2g ecu to run in an Evo 8. I know he just sold a modded ECU on the board a few weeks ago.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fp-green-95tsi
You could contact Thomas Dorris from Ecmlink and see if they are still modding the 2g ecu to run in an Evo 8. I know he just sold a modded ECU on the board a few weeks ago.

yea Thomas actually linked me to that thread. I was talking to him via Email and EvoLink will be another year or so but he said it would be very cool when finished. The Patch harness for the conversion is straight forward as well, but Ive seen the ECU that they convert to make it a direct plug and play item. I will for sure be going to do Ecmlink is this car.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BrunoBoy650
yea Thomas actually linked me to that thread. I was talking to him via Email and EvoLink will be another year or so but he said it would be very cool when finished. The Patch harness for the conversion is straight forward as well, but Ive seen the ECU that they convert to make it a direct plug and play item. I will for sure be going to do Ecmlink is this car.
Are you really gonna wait a year for ECMLink??

Especially when ECUFlash is awesome & cheaper and its not even worth the hassle to go ECMlink in a EVO. If it was, you'd be seeing more people do it.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thomas at Ecmlink can actually make a converted 2g ecu for you, it requires no jumper harness and is a straight plug and play. As far as benefits between ecuflash and ecmlink I dont see any major differences. With V3 you can run SD and can change any maps you would like just like ecuflash. Ecmlink is a lot user friendly then Ecuflash.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i am running ECMLink V3 in my evo and its great i love it. i have the converted 2G ECU and its pretty much plug and play i think we had to run 1 jumper wire for the pin out to be 100%.

Quick Reply: DSMlink