Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

EVO9 Stalling

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO9 Stalling

Hey guys,

So I have a handful of times had the car stall after starting and runnig for just a few seconds. I can continue to start the car without problem, it revs up and then just dies. The first few times it happened the car just started runnign fine later that day.

Now the problem has not gone away, it continues to stall only a few seconds after being started and will not run.

I did have SES lights but it was just for the rear O2 sensor and I don't beleive it has any control over this.

I did a while back have code P0401 for insufficient EGR flow detected. I checked all my vaccum lines to EGR and everything looked good.

What I have found is that if I disconnect my MAF sensor the car will idle, it does idle quite rich but it does run. I did clean off the MAF sensor with CRC Sensor Cleaner but it did not help.

My question, is it likely a problem with the MAF since it runs when disconnected or is this even a valid test to confirm that is the problem? Is it a vaccum leak? Anyone see this before?
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

if you have narrowed it down to the maf, then maybe you should try replacing it with a working one whether it be a friends or new
Old Mar 11, 2012, 02:43 PM

That would be the ideal situation, not many EVOs around here unfortuantely. Is there a good documented way to test the voltage of our MAF sensors? The pigtail hardness seems so tiny to be able to get any readings using a multi meter
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my car do exactly the same.... if you found what it is tell me please. if i found i willw tell you....
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:45 AM

Well I can tell you it wasn't the MAF, I tried another one in my car.

I honestly think its a vacuum problem still, I'm going to use my boost leak tester to pressurize the system and see if I can find any leaks
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:00 PM

ok i test the car with a annother maf to and nothing change. i do a leak test and discover that my bov and my throttle body seal leak a lot.... so i bought new one and im waiting for them to arrive.

i also bought a new iac sensor.... when i will have it, im gonna tell you if that change somethings..... i also buy new spark plug.....waiting for them..... if you find out befor me, please tell me what is it!
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:43 PM

new update, i seal the leak and its change nothing. but i have a question for you guys....went i start the car, if i give gas about 5000rpm it dont stall but the car go from 4000 to 5000 and i dont move my feet on the gas pedal....do you know why it act like this???
Old Mar 28, 2012, 05:26 PM

Hey guys, can someone confirm this is the IACV? I disconnected it from the TB and turned the ignition to the ON position and it did not move at all. From reading some other threads this would indicate its toast and probable reason for my stalling?

Can anyone confirm. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails EVO9 Stalling-2012-03-28-19.02.38.jpg  
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:25 AM

Ok i have had similar problems in the past but it would die only when i hit the throttle in neutral, turned out to be my blow offvalve and the vaccumme line that went from the boost control solinoid to the bottom of my injen intake. Impossible to see uness you take the intake out. what kind of blow off do you have? Also i would check tps throttle position sensor based on the rpms moving around on ya.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by duranvw
Hey guys, can someone confirm this is the IACV? I disconnected it from the TB and turned the ignition to the ON position and it did not move at all. From reading some other threads this would indicate its toast and probable reason for my stalling?

Can anyone confirm. Thanks.
That is the TPS sensor. The iacv is held on the throttle body by three screws.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:45 PM

Ah yes that IACV was hiding under the intake piping.

Ok so when I take out the IACV and have it plugged in turning the car to ON, you can feel the motor doing something but the plunger does not move at all. I have tested with a second IACV and both do not move when turning the key to ON.

Could this be wiring? Anyone know what voltages to test for on this thing?
Old May 15, 2012, 07:27 AM

So I still havent got the car running. I just tried using a different stock EVO9 ECU and get the same results.

So I have done a boost leak test, no leaks.
Checked vac lines
Tested with different MAF, IACV and ECU

I'm not throwing any new codes, just the rear 02 sensor.

Car will start up every time and die after a few seconds. If I put the car in limp mode it will run, however pretty lean.

I'm thinking I should maybe check physical timing? Some suggest CAS but I dno't want to do all that work to find it isnt the problem
Old May 17, 2012, 05:17 PM

ok mine does the same thing, i change the cas and the camshaft position sensor and it change nothing.... i also change the motor harness and the fuse box harness.... i also try a ecu,maf and new map. my car is now at a dealer mitsubishi.... for now i only know that when the car is off, the map sensor read -19 vacuum... suppose to be 0 i think.... anybody already have this problem??? becoming a nightmare.... ah and i also delete the ac and delete the egr valve....
Old May 17, 2012, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hummm....Sounds like wire issue to me?
Old May 18, 2012, 03:51 PM

i change the harness and mitsubishi said they are ok

Quick Reply: EVO9 Stalling