Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

tuning 4g64 evo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 04:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tuning 4g64 evo

I recently built my 4g64 evo and was discussing with a friend about the rom to use and he told me he would share a v7 tephra with me however he said i would have to make some adjustments to the rom as the engine has more ccs and using the 2L rom may damage the motor.... can anyone advise other the timing adjustments what else would need to be corrected to safely start up and drive with out destroyi g anyting. Of can anyone willing share a stock 2.4 rom for e7 or e8 that i can reference?

Thanks
Old Mar 15, 2016, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Your friends on crack.

When I did my 4g64 build I used a tephra v7 base map. EZ-PZ

Look into rescaling your knock sensor. It can be found in Merlins tuning guide. The 2.4 has different NvH than a regular 2.0L. If you search, you will find what works for most people.

PS dont do crack
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:07 AM

Lol i wouldnt ... so using the knock sensor in the 2.4 would/may cause an issue
Old Mar 15, 2016, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

You still use it, but you turn down the sensitivity.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by lancerrally45
You still use it, but you turn down the sensitivity.
Not without some testing first This is why you need an experienced tuner for this could be fake knock why guess?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3gturbo
Not without some testing first This is why you need an experienced tuner for this could be fake knock why guess?
Ive been tuning 4g63s for over 10 years. Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

You can determine if its fake or real knock by logging certain parameters.

If you want to, you can actually tune an evo without a knock sensor. You tune it via the torque curve young grasshopper.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Ive been tuning 4g63s for over 10 years. Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

You can determine if its fake or real knock by logging certain parameters.

If you want to, you can actually tune an evo without a knock sensor. You tune it via the torque curve young grasshopper.
Your obviously not experienced with evos. It shows by the noob questions your asking. Take the knock sensor out if you want doesn't matter to me if you blow up your car. I have one of each eclipse 1g through 4g
Old Apr 1, 2016, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Your obviously not experienced with evos. It shows by the noob questions your asking. Take the knock sensor out if you want doesn't matter to me if you blow up your car. I have one of each eclipse 1g through 4g
Oh Im not, am I? LMAO ok kid. Tuning them for 8 years must not count then. Last I looked, I wasnt the one asking the question.

Did I ask what kind of cars you had? Do I care?

Get off your high horse and learn something instead of sounding like a condescending *****. You belong on the subie forums.

Also, looking over your profile I see YOU didnt even tune your own car....lol, calling someone out when you dont even have the knowledge base is great work.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Oh Im not, am I? LMAO ok kid. Tuning them for 8 years must not count then. Last I looked, I wasnt the one asking the question.

Did I ask what kind of cars you had? Do I care?

Get off your high horse and learn something instead of sounding like a condescending *****. You belong on the subie forums.

Also, looking over your profile I see YOU didnt even tune your own car....lol, calling someone out when you dont even have the knowledge base is great work.
Just because you do something doesnt make you good at it so Ya I'll let Tscompusa tune my car because hes better than me and you with these cars by alot. I was trying to help the guy not blowup his car their . Since you know so much you could have posted what you use on your car but instead you were very vague and didnt help him at all.

Last edited by 3gturbo; Apr 4, 2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

So heres some 2.4 knock sensor settings from left to right tables in order.

tuning 4g64 evo-knock-sensor-2.4l.png
Old Apr 5, 2016, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Just because you do something doesnt make you good at it so Ya I'll let Tscompusa tune my car because hes better than me and you with these cars by alot. I was trying to help the guy not blowup his car their . Since you know so much you could have posted what you use on your car but instead you were very vague and didnt help him at all.
Ive provided the op with Merlins tuning guide. That alone is enough information to get the work done.

Im giving the op options, you dont like it, its your right. But to call out something you have no knowledge about makes you look extremely uneducated.

Also, tuning a car is not rocket science. I would rather push my setup then have an e-tune with a safety margin factored in. But again, my computer is always in my car so I can do this. But hey, what do I know. Its not like I work in calibration for one of the big 3 or anything.....

Im done responding to your nonsense.

Last edited by lancerrally45; Apr 7, 2016 at 06:23 AM.
Old May 1, 2016, 12:36 PM

Your friends on crack.

When I did my 4g64 build I used a tephra v7 base map. EZ-PZ

Look into rescaling your knock sensor. It can be found in Merlins tuning guide. The 2.4 has different NvH than a regular 2.0L. If you search, you will find what works for most people.

PS dont do crack

im confused, you are telling him basicly what his friend said without being specific

if he is giving him a rom to use from a 2l car, would he not have to alter it? (via tuning and knock settings).
Old May 2, 2016, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by matt1937
im confused, you are telling him basicly what his friend said without being specific

if he is giving him a rom to use from a 2l car, would he not have to alter it? (via tuning and knock settings).
You should not "share" roms. You are a moron if you do.

Start from a stock tephra rom, make changes from there.

And of course Im not telling him what to alter. I am pointing him in the right direction.
Shall I hold his hands and take him out for dinner too? No, learn from the documentation I referenced to. Aka Merlins Guide.

I would call that specific enough. If you cannot understand the basic tuning concepts from Merlins Guide you should not be tuning your car.
Old May 2, 2016, 09:34 PM

You should not "share" roms. You are a moron if you do.

Start from a stock tephra rom, make changes from there.

And of course Im not telling him what to alter. I am pointing him in the right direction.
Shall I hold his hands and take him out for dinner too? No, learn from the documentation I referenced to. Aka Merlins Guide.

I would call that specific enough. If you cannot understand the basic tuning concepts from Merlins Guide you should not be tuning your car.

lol i dont know how to break it to you pal but a "stock tephra v7 rom" as you called it is a shared rom and is in no way form or fashion "stock"

all the guy said is that his friend gave him a tephra v7 rom and he was told it( in a nutshell) has to be tuned for his 2.4 since the tephra roms are based off of a 2L rom.

and when i said without being specific i mean his friend said the same thing without going into specifics.

anyway to the original poster you have to change the knock settings on the rom as well as tune the ignition and fuel accordingly for your engine. the knock settings 3gturbo posted may help i dunno, i too ended up here from searching for 2.4 knock settings as i am going 2.4lr soon.
Old May 3, 2016, 05:32 AM
Evolving Member

Just because someone else has a 2.4 doesn't mean their knock settings will be correct for your car. Different engines make different amounts of noise. Knock sensor settings really need properly tuned for your car if you're going to be tuning the car based on knock feedback.

Quick Reply: tuning 4g64 evo