Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Evo IX bad idle PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2018, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo IX bad idle PLEASE HELP

A reoccuring problem with my car has been the idle issues. It first happened last june, replaced IAC and the car ran fine. About a week ago it came back. The car will not drop below 2k rpms. It will bounce between 2-3k. I replaced my IAC again last week and it calmed down for about a day then came back. My tuner (Raif from RRT) said its most likely a dticky TB. I cleaned the TB thoroughly and for about 20 minutes the car felt amazing and then the issue came back. Im going to him this weekend to have him look at it but would like to know a solution faster so he can still check the tune on it when i get there.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 08:45 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
boost leak test?
Old Feb 25, 2018, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
boost leak test?
havent tested for a boost leak but i dont understand how a leak could cause this issue. If it happens randomly i wouldnt think it would be a boost leak because a leak would most likely be constant
Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:06 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
First, I would determine one thing.

Is your PCM sending a signal to the IAC to open alot? When this happens your idle should go high.

If the answer to this is NO, then something else is causing the high idle- like an unmetererd air intake (vacuum leak)

Typically, when you make a change to the idle system (like cleaning the TB) you should reset the learned idle "trims" by pulling the battery for a bit.

There is an excellent video on youtube by scannerdanner that teaches you about idle controls
Old Feb 26, 2018, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Quick update. Cleaned the tb with it on the car since im waiting on the gasket from STM to arrive and i took it out for a drive. I was fine for aboit 40 mins and then i hit a bump and the car stuck at 2k for about 10 seconds before dropping back to normal. Drove for about another 5 minutes and got on the highway and hit a bump, the same thing happened again before i could pull over and pop the hood to see if the throttle was sticking it dropped again. Is it possible bumps are making my cable/tb get snagged? I would like to know before i order another cable from STM ($45 isnt bad and id rather replace than repair) and i also have an evo 8 tb from my brothers evo 8 shell, would that work with my car?

any input on my situation would be greatly appreciated as the weather gets warmer i would like to enjoy my car again
Old Feb 26, 2018, 06:29 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by C0dyix
Quick update. Cleaned the tb with it on the car since im waiting on the gasket from STM to arrive and i took it out for a drive. I was fine for aboit 40 mins and then i hit a bump and the car stuck at 2k for about 10 seconds before dropping back to normal. Drove for about another 5 minutes and got on the highway and hit a bump, the same thing happened again before i could pull over and pop the hood to see if the throttle was sticking it dropped again. Is it possible bumps are making my cable/tb get snagged? I would like to know before i order another cable from STM ($45 isnt bad and id rather replace than repair) and i also have an evo 8 tb from my brothers evo 8 shell, would that work with my car?

any input on my situation would be greatly appreciated as the weather gets warmer i would like to enjoy my car again
If you have a genuine problem with the throttle angle sticking open, why not monitor the data pid for throttle position. When you experience this problem, you can confirm if that is the cause by comparing the throttle percentage during the problem, compared to the throttle percentage during "normal" idle.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jp7
If you have a genuine problem with the throttle angle sticking open, why not monitor the data pid for throttle position. When you experience this problem, you can confirm if that is the cause by comparing the throttle percentage during the problem, compared to the throttle percentage during "normal" idle.
im gonna be honest i havw no idea what you said
Old Feb 26, 2018, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
If you reset your ECU by disconnecting the battery, does it drive fine? Then idle goes up after 30 minutes or so?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jp7
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
If you reset your ECU by disconnecting the battery, does it drive fine? Then idle goes up after 30 minutes or so?
havent tried that. How long should i leave it for?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

havent tried that. How long should i leave it for?
A minute would be enough. If it runs fine after a reset, then there's a problem with your ECU self learning and adjusting wrong. Maybe a tuner can chime in if this is the case?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

A minute would be enough. If it runs fine after a reset, then there's a problem with your ECU self learning and adjusting wrong. Maybe a tuner can chime in if this is the case?
the odd thing is it only happens if i hit a bump
Old Feb 26, 2018, 09:14 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
boost leak test finds vacuum leaks too. Classically the throttle body shaft seals will probably be leaky. You can spray things with soapy water and watch for bubbles. What Jp7 was trying to say is you could log the car and see if the throttle is actually sticking open or if its something else. You will be able to see if its sticking by the TPS reading.

I had a problem with my throttle sticking, turned out to be the spring on the pedal itself needed cleaning/greasing. I replaced the throttle cable basically for nothing thinking that was the cause.

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Feb 26, 2018 at 09:19 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

the odd thing is it only happens if i hit a bump
That is strange. Sounds like a loose wire or something loose.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

What mods do you have?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

What mods do you have?
stock block and turbo, buschur front mount, buschur exhaust, small battery, 1000cc injectors and an aem 320 fuel pump

Quick Reply: Evo IX bad idle PLEASE HELP