Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

evo 9 engine in evo 6.5

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2018, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo 9 engine in evo 6.5

Hi, I have had ongoing issues with this conversion (chasing phantom knock and sensors not lasting) and am checking the boomslang adapter I had made for evo 9 ecu (ADM) to original evo 6.5 loom (JDM) to run an evo 9 (JDM) engine. Wanting to confirm the corresponding pin outs for evo 6 vs evo 9 and hoping someone can help:

Evo 6 has 4 ecu grounds:
13:Ground (this is a chassis ground and grounds out Knock and Exhaust cam sensor, crank angle, vehicle speed and coils on both 13 and 26 from buzzing out a 6 loom)
26:Ground (this is also a chassis ground and grounds out same sensors as 13). 13 and 26 must be connected at the chassis as they will both buzz.
91:Ground (no evo 6 sensors use this as a ground. The 6 ecu itself grounds to the chassis via 91).
92:Sensor Ground (grounds out o2, MAF, water temp and TPS).

Evo 9 has 4 ecu grounds:
46:Chassis Ground (grounds out Knock sensor and coils on both 46 and 58 from buzzing out a 9 ADM loom).
58: Chassis Ground (grounds out same as 46 and must be connected to 46 at the chassis as they both buzz).
49: Analogue Ground - grounds out o2, water temp, TPS, MAP, air temp.
34: Sensor Ground (Digital?) - grounds out exhaust cam , intake cam, MAF, CAS.

As you can see there is not a straight one for one swap.
13 and 26 seem to correspond to 46 and 58....but the 6 also grounds out a whole lot of other sensors here. I have 13 connected to 46 and 26 connected to 58.
I also have 92 connected to both 49 and 34 (joined) as the evo 6 doesn't have a dedicated analogue / digital ground like the 9 does.
Are there any errors here?

Also, I noticed that the oem 6 knock sensor signal wire is not shielded like the evo 9 knock sensor wire. As i have a suspected phantom knock issue I was thinking of running a separate insulated evo 9 knock sensor signal and ground and bypassing the 6 one to see if the knock issue goes away?

Lastly, the evo 6 has no pin 33 from the 6 ecu which corresponds to Alternator G, so this does not get connected to the evo 6 alternator. This is different to most other evos which have Alternator G connected to the alternator. Should I run a wire from pin 8 (Alternator G) of the evo 9 ecu and connect this to the evo 6 alternator? I do tend to run a lowish voltage at wot and was wondering if this was the reason why.

This has been dragging on for a long time so hoping someone can provide some advice. Thanks.