Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Can Evoscan read raw serial data through an arduino?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2023, 09:36 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Can Evoscan read raw serial data through an arduino?

Ok. So I know I’ve gone about this in a totally weird way, but it’s all I could think of to get it to work. I’ve got a prosport wideband with only an analog output (no serial output). I’ve also got an EVO 5 with the stock ECU and a custom ROM. I already have my ADC’s used for logging boost, clutch switch and map switch. This leaves me with no where to log my AFR.

My idea was to learn some light programming and use an arduino to interpret the analog signal from the wideband controller and convert that into a serial output. I was able to achieve this. I even have all the calculations for AFR in the program. Hooked it up to my laptop and everything is spot on when looking at it through the IDE software or other serial monitors. But now I have another problem.. how can I get this to log through Evoscan?

My thinking is that Evoscan has no way to interpret a raw serial data stream, so I wanted to know if there was a way to change this or if I can tell my arduino to mimic one of the wideband controllers that Evoscan DOES support.

Does anyone know what code I would need to do either of these? Or can someone share what their wideband outputs into a serial monitor so I can try to mimic that? I’m new to this so I would need all of the information, protocol, speed, etc. just everything that actually goes through the cable.
Attached Thumbnails Can Evoscan read raw serial data through an arduino?-img_1912.jpeg  
The following users liked this post:
Chrispy0530 (Oct 8, 2023)
Old Oct 8, 2023, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Check the very bottom of this saved page from the Innovate Motorsports website (thanks to the Wayback Machine) https://web.archive.org/web/20130805...om/support.php

See the very bottom of the page for "Innovate Motorsports Serial Protocol 2 and Serial Protocol Supplement". Hopefully that's all that you need!
Old Oct 9, 2023, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 117 Likes on 93 Posts
Here is what I used with EvoScan to solve the same issue but with an AEM gauge that has analog output only.
https://www.dlpdesign.com/usb/io8.shtml

This serializes the data and then you just have to enter the equation in the gauge documentation to get the right values and EvoScan is already setup to use this protocol. I use this board to log my wideband, boost and oil pressure gauge without issue.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 05:47 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks a bunch! I’ve been trying to get what I can from the innovate page but still having some issues. Falling into one of those “I don’t know what I don’t know” kinda deals. lol with that other usb converter, what input did you choose in Evoscan? I was able to serialize by data but I just can’t get Evoscan to see it because I only have the wideband available at the top which require different kinds of protocols, packet identifiers and packet lengths.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jetjockeyjosh
Thanks a bunch! I’ve been trying to get what I can from the innovate page but still having some issues. Falling into one of those “I don’t know what I don’t know” kinda deals. lol with that other usb converter, what input did you choose in Evoscan? I was able to serialize by data but I just can’t get Evoscan to see it because I only have the wideband available at the top which require different kinds of protocols, packet identifiers and packet lengths.
I can check tonight how I set it up in evoscan. I don't remember it being difficult though. I thought there was a serial input selection in one of the menus.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jetjockeyjosh
So in Evoscan, under the logging menu, I have the option to select a COM or USB device. That's how I selected the DLP-IO8 and then the inputs show up in the data log window where you can edit the equations and everything