Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

PowerFC Laptop Interface

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2004, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PowerFC Laptop Interface

You guys may want to look into this if you want PowerFC to hookup to a laptop. Monkeywrenchracing have a deal with this australian company which re-enginneerd the powerfc software and they maybe able to get it for the Evo.

http://monkeywrenchracing.com/fc_dat...z_engines.html

Worth a look. You can access and change stuff the commander can't.
Old May 10, 2004, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would love to get my hands on one right now my idle is terrible on my D-Jetro.
Old May 14, 2004, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

I asked them if they had a version that would work with our Evo8's and they wrote back that it should work now. However, I am not going to order it unless I know for sure.
Old May 17, 2004, 05:41 AM

Hi Guys,

I have an EVO 6 RS and run the Apexi Power Fc (d jetro). Couple of points for u US boys to take into consideration.

1. FC-datalogit is avalible for http://www.fc-datalogit.co.nz/model-status.html.

The reason that the table does not show EVO8 d-jet is cause they prob have not been able to evaluate that ECU. Now my guess is that the 7-8 ecu's will be the same and I would advise checking the serial/part no on the ECU..

See here: http://www.apexi.co.jp/products/elec...errfc1025.html

Seems to be the same model for CT9a.

2. Don't run the boost control system on the ECU.. I have and it is an absolute nightmare. Now the 3 port soleniod is very good, but the FC commander only allows u to enter a target boost value and adj the duty. Use an AVCR it is a much more flexible boost controller, and will allow u to adj boost by revs and gears.

3. bad idle. the Power FC does not have an idle map. it has a value which u enter for the idle. i.e 850-900rpm. U then have some cold start paramaters etc. the ECU learns the idle for the car, but it does this in interaction with the idle stepper motor on the throttle body. The idle stepper motor is notorious for being total crap on EVO's. If u have not changed cams and have a hunting or up/down idle, this will be the problem..

Have fun..

Rich.
Old May 17, 2004, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the input!

I just ordered a L-Jetro version as I don't plan on getting much past 350 to the wheels. I also got the AVCR instead of the boost control unit as I have heard the same thing you just stated...I wonder, is the idle issues you are having common with both the D and L versions or just the D?
Old May 18, 2004, 01:28 AM

karash,

Idle problems with the EVO even on the standard ECU are down to the stepper motor. Basically the idle control on the EVO is controlled throught he stepper motor. This is as it sounds, a small motor opens the throttle and with the cold start enrichment values u have within the Power Fc the correct amount of fuel is added.

Problems can also happen if u are running larger injectors than standard (which I am) there is a page in the instruction manual which relates to injector duty cycle and sdjustment of this paramater for injector size. ECU comes with setting for the standard 560cc injectors..

Cheers,

Rich.
Old May 18, 2004, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by EVO6RSS
3. bad idle. the Power FC does not have an idle map. it has a value which u enter for the idle. i.e 850-900rpm. U then have some cold start paramaters etc. the ECU learns the idle for the car, but it does this in interaction with the idle stepper motor on the throttle body. The idle stepper motor is notorious for being total crap on EVO's. If u have not changed cams and have a hunting or up/down idle, this will be the problem..

Have fun..

Rich.
Now this is what I am wondering, it seems that I can't add timing to the car at idle but I am able to adjust the fuel map. Why is this or am I not doing something right?

My idle isn't bad at all but I wanted to add some timing at idle to smooth things out even more with my 272's. Before the Power FC I had a local guy flash my ecu and he added about 5 or 6 degrees of timing at idle and the car idled great.
Old May 19, 2004, 04:19 AM

FAS4DR,

The 272 cams are the reason u get lumpy idle... as far as I know, look at your cam timing, how much overlap are u running??

I had a guy in the UK map my Power FC, the 'dentist', which I and many others from www.lancerregister.com consider to be the best mapper in the UK at the momment on any platform.. (Apexi, Gems, Motec, Autronics).. So specific questions regarding maps I am a little unsure on and wouldn't like to advise..

If ur idle is going up or down for no apparent reason by say 200-300rpm rather than the lumpy hunting u get with cams then it will be your stepper motor that is shagged..

Rich.
Old May 22, 2004, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

I got it for your PFC Nick. I just got it in Friday. We have to send Australia a file for it to work but should work fine.