Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

My short 1 night review (L-Jetro)

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2004, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up My short 1 night review (L-Jetro)

Hello, just got back from some driving.

'Performance Mods':
  • HKS Downpipe
  • Espelir Catback
  • Custom Ground Kit
  • Apexi Power FC L-Jetro

As you can see, I dont have a lot of stuff on...not even a drop in K&N filter. More will come later I am guessing, but I needed an ECU platform I can work with before I start putting in anything major.

Installation:

Installation of the L-Jetro was fairly simple. Just unplug your OEM ECU and plug this unit in. The directions were good for initial setup except that it states that if you do not have the boost control unit (optional) for the PFC, then turn to page 72 to make an adjustment. Funny thing is there is no page 72 . Having the car learn it's idle point is pretty straight forward...just let it idle for 5 minutes or so without AC / Lights, with AC / Lights, and with both AC / Lights...and give it a few revs to make sure it drops and holds at 900rpm or so. Idle is super steady for me now, and that was the first thing I noticed. Before my idle on hot days was terrible (have no idea why), but this unit seems to have cleared that up. I used a few of the velcro strips to mount the unit into the existing ECU bracket so overall installation was a breeze...although it would have been nice if the PFC casing would have the OEM notches like the older ECU.

Power:

Butt dyno was very very pleased. 2nd and 3rd gear are much more broader with the power now...not that inital jolt you get when the boost hits then fade. 5th Gear was also surprising in that it seemed to hold 1.4kpa for a much longer period of time, leading to an immediate smile on my face . In general the power delivery seems much more broad. And with the rock solid idle now, I can tell this unit will be well worth the money.

Cool Tricks:

The knock indicator is off the hook guys. I was running through a few of the gears hard and the CEL will flash briefly very quickly if you have knock. I don't have this thing tuned by an Excel dealer yet, so I was laying off it quite a bit. The realtime knock alert is by far the highlight of the night. Thumbs up Apexi .

Plans:

This is a second hobby of mine, and I am never going to claim I am a tuner by any means. Just trying to learn what I can and not break anything. There is no chance that I will be modifying the base settings until I am comfortable in my knowledge to do so, and will have Alamo in Dallas probably do the initial tuning. I am looking forward to some dyno sheets to post up here since my power related mods are so few.

Overall, I give the unit a big thumbs up. Car seems more stable and confident in the throttle.

Last edited by Karash; May 31, 2004 at 09:22 PM.
Old May 31, 2004, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Forgot to add in my plans section:

When I do get it tuned properly I will have them install an Apexi AVC-R since I have heard horror stories about the PFC Boost Control Unit that you can buy. I decided to go with the more expensive, but hopefully more worthwhile AVC-R.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
still have not installed my d-jetro because i am waiting on tapping my intake manifold for intake sensor...well i am glad you have had such good luck..lo9ve apexi....and i would maybe go for a manual bc ...i have not had good luch with electronic ones on my car....
Old Jun 1, 2004, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Astro are you going to tune the unit yourself or are you going to take it to Alamo? Maybe we could hook up and go together
Old Jun 4, 2004, 02:59 PM
Account Disabled

good job Joe - now we gotta get you that other software to start really having fun
Old Jun 6, 2004, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Yea, I am going to look at a few options from datalogit or trying to get a full blown copy of Apexi's software (which I hear no one can get). Right now I think the Commander will be my limit until I need something else.

btw, Adam will give you a great deal on this unit, just hit him up
Old Jun 14, 2004, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Actually I have had good luck with the PFC boost control module, at least on external gates.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Yea still running the stock setup...is this with Evos Guru or RX7s?
Old Jun 15, 2004, 03:59 PM

You will need the datalogit to properly tune the power fc. The RX7 community made the mistake of trying to tune with the commander only. NOT GOOD, especially regarding the timing cells. Just figured I'd give a heads up. Other than that its a fantastic ecu.
Old Jun 15, 2004, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

yea that is what i hear...its on my list