Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Project: Auto RIPP SDS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2005, 06:21 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Project: Auto RIPP SDS

This is going to be a project log for the next couple of weeks, updated with pics, dynos, and hopefully some vids. Stay tuned for updates.

Today the project began. I dropped off my car and at RIPP's shop for them to install nextgen's old stage II kit on my lancer.

However, Ripp isn't just installing the kit. They are using my car to upgrade to their brand new 2005 system. You can read about the upgrades here:

http://www.rippmods.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1413

there is also a quick vid ross made that gives you a quick idea of what the upgrades are:

http://www.rippmods.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1441

Basically, the old system consisted in tank fuel pump, feeding aftermarket injectors (410 cc or what have you). The problem was, you can't "crank" down the aftermarket injectors enough at idle, so you end up with a lumpy idle and overall, a poor running car at low/no boost conditions. Plus, you get horrible mileage.

So what they came up with is a supplimental injection system using a high pressure in line pump that provides fuel to a supplimental "atomizing" injector located righ before the throttle body. This is connected to the "Black Box" tuning unit, so when it sees boost, it applies more fuel through the supplimental injector.

But when you aren't boosting, you get a stock running car because its running on stock injectors. Also, mileage isn't decreased as much as the previous system

Along with these upgrades and a few more, Ripp is doing brand new tunes for the lancer so its more powerful and even more streetable. A perfect combination of power without giving up drivability

RIPP is going to be dyno'ing the car ALOT, so we'll have plenty of numbers to look at. Also, once we're done and I get the car back ( in about 3 weeks hopefully), I'm going to be doing some dyno'ing myself and later on this fall, some track runs

Right now the performance mods are:

RRM Bored throttle body
Engineerboy ported 4g93 intake manifold
bored fuel rail
kamikaze headers
magnaflow hi flow cat
magnaflow catback

However, in the coming weeks, I'll also be getting in my new RPW extractors, so we'll be able to look at some before and after dyno's comparing short tube headers with long tube ones in a supercharged environment. I was told by RIPP (who make long tube headers for other cars) that the torque curve would easily be increased by 10% over the regular "crappy" headers.

Along with the stage II, I'm going all out and installing: Deyeme front firm and rear flex motor mounts, catch can, steward warner white gauges from 42 draft designs and a transmission cooler. I guess its more of an overhaul really

I have a few picture I'll post up in a bit

Of course if anyone has any questions about the supercharger kit, ask away, thats what this thread is for. I may not have all the answers, but I'll help where I can
Old Jun 24, 2005, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
u can take my tranny cooler
Old Jun 24, 2005, 07:08 PM
Account Disabled

nah, its cool, i reckon you should keep yours so your crappy tranny doesn't turn.....crappier LOL

BTW: me and melaz took a trip down to ripp today and it was AWESOME!!!!!

ross wasn't there, but they had a manual stage2 lancer there we all took a ride in and we checked out a some other sweet cars (tibby, tons of eclipses, 3000gt)

but riding in the manual stgII was the highlight. too bad the suspension sucked, but it pulled like a beast. i should have gotten some vids
Old Jun 24, 2005, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

nah i don't need the tranny cooler i'm gonna go in for warranty
Old Jun 24, 2005, 07:21 PM
Account Disabled

ROFL, dude, your warranty it shot, don't worry about that, even if they didn't figure out you were supercharged, they see your ecu wiring and BAM! bye bye warranty

but lets get back on topic
Old Jun 24, 2005, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

That was a good time dude. Like jay said, there was a yellow supercharged lancer there that if you saw it on the street, you would probably think nothing of it. Thing RIPP'D on straight aways but couldnt handle for **** thanks to "ground control" sleeves. Hopefully I Can get a RIPP sds log going to in the next couple of months BTW, the guys at RIPP MODS were the coolest, down to earth employees ive yet too meet that work in a performance shop. We could have chilled and talked w/ them for the whole day but unfortunatley I had to get back to work and YES I did make it there on time haha. Keep us posted psycho .
-Tyler
Old Jun 25, 2005, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

keep in mind...i kno da service rep...who is my buddy...and know all da mechanics...since i work there...hehe
Old Jun 25, 2005, 08:50 AM
Account Disabled

man, i left at like 4, didn't make it back until 7:30, traffic was horrible. glad you made it in time.

we drove in tylers car (sway bar, on eibachs and kumhko mx's right?) first, then the stg2 lancer on ground controls, and tylers car FELT faster just because of the handling

but if you looked at the tach adn speedo, you could tell which was faster (should have gotten a vid). at one point the guy driving floored it in tyler's car, and the rpms slowly started to rise (like any other stock lancer)

but in the stg2 lancer, when he floored it, the rpms and mph shot up like a rocket, we were going 80 in no time

thats what make me pretty excited, because i got tein basics, full strut bars, and sway bar with perches, which is going to go great with the sds
Old Jun 25, 2005, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

o i kno it will go great with the sds
Old Jun 25, 2005, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ZooRacer
keep in mind...i kno da service rep...who is my buddy...and know all da mechanics...since i work there...hehe
Was that the only reason they were nice to us? Jay, I also have a RRM kbar and rear strut bar installed. I need a jack so I can put that lower tie bar on.

Last edited by Melaz425; Jun 25, 2005 at 10:40 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 11:16 AM
Account Disabled

zoo was talking about mitsu techs adn reps cause he works at the dealership (in regards to nextgen's comment on warranty)

oh yeah, strut bars helped, your car felt solid, tires were nice too

i don't have a jack, but i got ramps if you want to borrow them

edit: nvm, forgot those were in the trunk of the lancer
Old Jun 25, 2005, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

ahh, i gotcha.. my bad. I thought he was talkin about the RIPP guys. Back on topic.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 04:33 PM
Account Disabled

got some pics to show the stuff i dropped off. i really wish i had pics of hte kit i got from 42 draft designs, it was awesome. unfortunately, i won't have any pics of the install because i can't visit while their hooking it up, but good news is they are going to rewrite the manual which will include a lot of pics, so once i get that, i can scan it for everyone ot see how the install is

this is the old 90 degree pipe right before the TB. the meth injector is at the back, which will be joined by the atomizer with the 2005 system.

boost cooler for meth injection, controlled by the black box when it sees certain boost

bracket bolts up to the exhaust manifold studs which holds up the sds shaft

black box which controls EVERYTHING.....

bypass valve to let off boost

engine mounts from deyeme. i got firm up front and flex in the rear, a pretty good combination that doesn't shake the chassis excessively. i think if your going FI, these are a must

weapon r catch can. i know, weapon r is usual not the best company, but it was alot cheaper than other ones, and all i needed was a tank to hold the oil blow off from the valve cover so it doesn't grime up my intake

general sds pics with tensioner

Old Jun 27, 2005, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

"Basically, the old system consisted in tank fuel pump, feeding aftermarket injectors (410 cc or what have you). The problem was, you can't "crank" down the aftermarket injectors enough at idle, so you end up with a lumpy idle and overall, a poor running car at low/no boost conditions. Plus, you get horrible mileage." - greenpsycho
^thanks RippMods

dammit, i cant believe ripp is redesigning their setup as far as fuel injection goes. thats BS, now im gonna have to drop what? another 400 for the new items. im sticking with what i got. but good gas mileage sounds soooooo good, so basically all the old systems are screwed?
Old Jun 27, 2005, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

good ****, good luck with your stuff, how much did you pay for the oil catch can? let me know how it works out for you i might get one.

Quick Reply: Project: Auto RIPP SDS