Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

My Ripp Sds: 194whp/167tq

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2005, 09:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's good mileage indeed. A question though... seems the kit has had its ups and downs with some things needed tweaked in.

Zoo had issues... got resolved... nextgen had some other issues... got resolved... now you've had issues that are getting resolved(all on same kit). It would seem that your kit is trully the first kit for the auto and still being tweaked. Is it wise to mass produce this until you get some more mileage on it.

Granted the belt deal was small but it could have had bigger issues if it broke. Is it possible to get some more mileage on it before it's thought final.

Also since the engines are the same... do these changes effect the manuel tranmission cars as well. Some customers won't be local to RIPP in order to update their cars so i ask this to see what would be done to correct their non-local issues.

As always i'm sure RIPP will provide great customer service but will it be on the customer to endure more costs to make these changes or will RIPP simply pull their files and send them the upgrades for free as they are developed.

There is nothing in here that is aguementative just good factual based questions so don't feel that i'm attacking the kit... mearly expressing concern for my fellow members whom i'm sure are asking the same questions to themselves.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 09:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
No offense, but how many times do we have to hear this? If you're unhappy with the HP offered with the RIPP kit, perhaps you should look elsewhere? I was unhappy with my Lancer's HP, so I got a new car...
Think he's talking about it as an upcoming customer. He want's the SC but wants it to have a little more power and is hoping he'll get a kit that is worked out and fully tuned like Green's is becoming.

Green's kit isn't done from the looks of it... still some minor tweeks to be done. He's just expressing some obvoious concerns before spending 4 big ones. Either way he'll be happy as it's way faster than the stocker car!
Old Aug 11, 2005, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ ive had the kit since february and am still awaiting install. Im unhappy because ripp had projected numbers and they are not near them. now i have a kit with false numbers to begin with and i have no choice but to accept it. THATS why im unhappy, THATS why im HOPING it is for some other reason that this kit layed down 194whp. i mean, the RRM stage 1 kit dropped the same as the SDS stage 1, why not the same for stage 2? something isnt right there.

My awaiting setup ( i say awaiting because im still waiting for the slow *** mechanic to install it) is identical to greens except for the tensioner, and new fuel pump setup. i have the Mirage IM, kamikaze headers, catback exhaust etc...

As far as greens car not being done- he's gonna switch out the headers to a Hiflowing header from RPW. i really dont think its a major change, but we'll see.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 09:57 AM
Account Disabled

Arch:

sorry man, I hate to burst your bubble, but you will be under 200whp, possibly less than me. The 2005 upgrades do not decrease performance, if anything they will increase or allow you to attain greater HP because of the superior fuel setup, bov upgrades and other things of that nature. We just have a very hungry transmission that eats HP and tq, and of course since the blower is belt driven it takes a little bit of power there as well (not much).

I'm not saying 230whp with the sds isn't possible, gimme 12 months and I should be well over that, BUT the stock kit just doens't push that much power to the wheels. for comparison, the manual 4g94 Lancer stg2 sds made 230whp.

To clear up some misinformation:

-arch already has the kit, just waiting for it to be installed by his local guy. He bought .L.'s old kit when he wrecked
-The kit is ready and has been ready for some time for resale. In fact, there are a couple other auto sds lancer guys out on the road.

The issue I had is not serious in any way, the offset of the belt was about 1/16", and give the belt is rougly 1" wide, that is nothing to worry about. Because it was slightly off, the belt wore a little bit. I mentioned this off hand to RIPP, and they wanted me to bring the car in, not cause its an issue, but because they wanted to verify the problem. Apparently a similar issue had been reported on another engine (eclipse perhaps) out west and RIPP could not see first hand what the issue was.

All they needed to do is shim out the power steering pulley a nudge (maybe a few MM's). What happens is that the factory pieces are cast, which we all know is not very perfect. Factory tolerances are probably close to a couple millimeters or so, not everything has to line up exactly, but it will still fit.

However, when you start adding products that rely on precision and are very precise themselves (like a belt running a supercharger) you get quirks from car to car. This kit came right off nextgen's car and he didn't have any issues, however on my car the pulley needed to be shimmed out. Same engine, same kit, just very slight difference from the factory that caused my issue.

But now RIPP is aware of the problem and knows how to fix it and will advise anyone who comes across this problem. No, it will not happen to everyone, maybe only 1 in 4 engines, but RIPP likes to have all bases covered.

If you have the problem, contact RIPP. Its not dangerous to the vehicle or SDS system and most likely few other people will have a similar situation.

Finally, listen to the people that know the facts. Zoo had 1 issue on his car caused by a coolant line that came off. The problem was fixed, and the kit remained on his car. The car was passed on to nextgen with the kit still on it and nextgen has had the car for 1.5 years. The kit has thousands of miles on it (I believe 10-20k maybe, nextgen would know for sure) and is still in perfect workign condition.

Now I have the kit, the blower was oiled up and bearings replaced, and it runs like a brand new unit. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the lancer sds kit, ripp has brand new tunes out for both manual and auto, and brand new components (upgraded bov, belt tensioner, etc). There has never been anything wrong with the kit since its inception.

There are numerous other people with the kit, blazen has had his for 40k miles or so, and not one problem. He recentled got the 2005 upgrades I believe too.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:08 AM
Account Disabled

from RIPP's site:

•274HP Manuel transmission (figures at crank)

•252HP Automatic transmission (figures at crank)
I figure 20% drivetrain loss on autos (I believe its like 18 or 19%, but 20% is easier LOL) and 15% loss on manuals, and BAM! the numbers are spot on.

I don't know where you go your numbers from arch, so I don't know why you are upset or disappointed. These are the numbers RIPP projected and thats pretty much exactly what they are on the dyno.

Also, someone mentioned the kit needed tweaking, and thats just false. The kit does not need tweaking, RIPP chooses to keep upgrading their products and kits to stay on top. That is why they invented the belt tensioner, and their special SDS BOV, thats why they upgraded to the supplimental injection, and the boost cooler. Thats why all tunes are updated at least yearly on all cars (even the Lancer where the sales aren't huge). Its because RIPP cares about its product, they don't just put a kit out on the market and leave it alone for 2 or 3 years, its always changing, always updating. Not because of problems, but in the effort to make more power
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by GreenPsycho
Took the car to RIPP on Tuesday cause of a belt issue. What was happeneing is the belt was not aligned perfectly with the power steering pulley so it roughed it up a bit. They fixed it up and slapped it back together with a new belt. I think I might have had a belt slipping issue before because of the misalignment. Just wanted to let you guys know that they really look out for customers, me yes, but also the people who might be ordering the kit as well, they want to make sure everything is tweaked to perfection.
You say that the statement of it being tweaked is false??

It was you that stated it

Also, someone mentioned the kit needed tweaking, and thats just false.
Are these upgrades to the kit going to be provided for free to the previous version owners or will they have to pay for them?

I think it is great that RIPP supports the kit even though it hasn't quite taken off yet. It'll get better for them i'm sure. Their backing and further development will ensure their success.

Last edited by Boeturbolancer; Aug 11, 2005 at 10:37 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:31 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Greeny schools himself.

Arch - if you've waited 5 months for a mechanic to install it, why not get a different mechanic? And Green proves it perfectly - the car puts down what they said it would. You only have yourself to blame. If you want to rock 250 whp or whatever, you're going to have to do what HotShot940 did - put in the time and the money to be the fastest. Anything can be done with enough effort. You can't expect the kit to add 150 whp out of the box.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:38 AM
EvoM Guru

I second blacksheep Arch... its all about time and money but your almost there.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Finally, listen to the people that know the facts. Zoo had 1 issue on his car caused by a coolant line that came off. The problem was fixed, and the kit remained on his car. The car was passed on to nextgen with the kit still on it and nextgen has had the car for 1.5 years. The kit has thousands of miles on it (I believe 10-20k maybe, nextgen would know for sure) and is still in perfect workign condition.
What about the details left out... zoo blew his motor on the black box that supposedly has no blown motors since it's inception. That's posted on the RIPP website.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From RIPP's Site:

Take a look at the alternative, the RIPP SDS-4G94 has had zero engine failures* to date.

*Since the inception of the RIPP Black Box.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zoo claimed to beat evo's and other high hp cars but yet his bro dyno'd at 130whp with that tune.

Then nextgen got things tuned better and had things stabalized with better numbers even on a slipping tranny.

Then you got the kit... again things were tweaked and you're were you are at due to it. Your now putting down serious power reliably and its dependable. You've got a good ride but it took 3 generations of owners to get it there.

Just stating the facts... tell me if i'm wrong.

Last edited by Boeturbolancer; Aug 11, 2005 at 10:52 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greeny schools himself.

Arch - if you've waited 5 months for a mechanic to install it, why not get a different mechanic? And Green proves it perfectly - the car puts down what they said it would. You only have yourself to blame. If you want to rock 250 whp or whatever, you're going to have to do what HotShot940 did - put in the time and the money to be the fastest. Anything can be done with enough effort. You can't expect the kit to add 150 whp out of the box.
the mechanic igot charged me 35% of what i would have got charged buying the missing pieces from .L.'s kit and also installation at a real shop. Thats why i went with him, but he is real tight on time, and i understand that but thats what i get for that price i guess. i was under the impression that when ripp was pushing theyre kit along with RRM pushing theyre kit, they would almost pushout the same amount of hp. now i know that impression was wrong. and i will try everything in my power to get that projected 230whp. and if i cant get that 230 then i will really regret getting this kit, and i would honestly look into rrm's kit.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Arch... you'll be fine with the RIPP kit. They will continue to push it further and further and you'll grow along with it. Things like that just take a little time and they are still relatively new to the lancer.

I know that some things were a little off and you based your decision on some of those basis... however you've invested in it now so just make the most out of it. If you wanted to be the fastest guy out there you'll have to invest a lot more. If you want to be way faster than stock then you've invested in something that will get you there.

In the end if your not satisfied just build up more... it's easier to step up then to start all over. Trust me on that.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:21 AM
Account Disabled

Greeny schools himself.

yeah well, i'm dumb, what more can I say

Some upgrades are free or free'ish, some are not. for instance, the belt tensioner was not a free upgraded (although its free in all current kits you buy from RIPP). Flashes for the latest tune I believe are free, minus shipping. The BOV upgrade is like 4 bucks (and someone reported gaining 4 pounds from the upgrade, I think he was stg2 eclipse)

The fuel upgrades are not free. If you are local, you can drop your car off at ripp and have them do them, or ship them what they need to upgrade and they will (for the fuel upgrades, it would be the blackbox and 90 degree tube so they can install the supplimental injector

Onto zoo's car, and I'll probably get argued with this by nextgen or zoo, but this is what happened:

RIPP was finishing up the car on a friday, but had to run for some shootout that night. They left a coolant line (or maybe it was vac line......crap, I forget) undone and told zoo all he had to do was hook it up and run.

Well, he forgot to, drove off, got across the bridge and blew. Nothing too serious consdiering the circumstances, but he needed new pistons. RIPP helped him out with the pistons and install, and he was back on his feet in no time.

It would be foolish and a lie to say that people haven't had any troubles with superchargers, just like we know the same is true for turbos. However, the problems that have been reported to RIPP have ALL been to install error. People get lazy or aren't that skilled and think they can do it themselves, something happens, and then they get mad

But the truth is, if the kit is installed right, the kit is perfectly safe. Hell, after zoo's initial incident, they had nothing, zip, zilch NADA go wrong with the setup since, and that was dating 1.5-2 years back.

trying not to get into a turbo vs. SC discussion here, but its the same thing with turbos, if someone doesn't bolt the wastegate on tight enough, or check for leaks, or hell, doesn't wire up the PB setup on stg2 right, they are going to have problems and possibly blow. Same difference.

As far as zoo's claims with the evo, I don't know. I would say its highly unlikely (if not impossible given the setup), but I don't know the situation nor do I know zoo.

But when you think about it: 3 people have had the kit (ok, really only 2 as nextgen and zoo were kidna the same being brothers and it being the same car). Its been around for 2 years. And yet the kit is and never was outdated. It was continuously updated, refined, dare I say, TWEAKED and its running like a champ with minimal costs involved (flashing the blackbox a few times, doing fuel upgrades, belt tensioner). But all in all, the system has remained the same, the blower has been the same, and will be for quite some time and I will continue to upgrade it accordingly.

edit: arch, you want 230whp, then pick up rpw headers (I'll prove they are better within a month or so, waiting on jet hot). Pick up or get your hands on a ported head and upgraded TB (if you haven't done so). Gains with the head alone are a projected +10% (20whp sounds good to me!). Even if not, it will increase mid range alot more.

From there, camshaft and camgear are probably next to help it breath more, but that recquires some dynotime @ ripp so they can adjust the blackbox accordingly. Then forged internals and the skies the limit. The blower maxes out @ 25 pounds, so if your running 18 pounds or so, which is my ultimate goal, you should be pushing some nice power

Last edited by GreenPsycho; Aug 11, 2005 at 11:26 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Some upgrades are free or free'ish, some are not. for instance, the belt tensioner was not a free upgraded (although its free in all current kits you buy from RIPP). Flashes for the latest tune I believe are free, minus shipping. The BOV upgrade is like 4 bucks (and someone reported gaining 4 pounds from the upgrade, I think he was stg2 eclipse)

The fuel upgrades are not free. If you are local, you can drop your car off at ripp and have them do them, or ship them what they need to upgrade and they will (for the fuel upgrades, it would be the blackbox and 90 degree tube so they can install the supplimental injector
There's the answer i've been searching for. Since you've answered this can we officially state that you are representing RIPPMODS on these boards. You'd have to be to have made those statements right?

I just want to know who can answer the questions and be held accountable... that's all.

Onto zoo's car...It would be foolish and a lie to say that people haven't had any troubles with superchargers, just like we know the same is true for turbos. However, the problems that have been reported to RIPP have ALL been to install error. People get lazy or aren't that skilled and think they can do it themselves, something happens, and then they get mad. But the truth is, if the kit is installed right, the kit is perfectly safe.
I think this basically ends the Reliability arguement between SC's and the TC's as is true and to the point. All kits designed and installed by the maker seldom have issues. Issues arrise from the self installer or shop that isn't up to the task. The kit gets blamed but it isn't the kits fault at all.

It was continuously updated, refined, dare I say, TWEAKED and its running like a champ with minimal costs involved (flashing the blackbox a few times, doing fuel upgrades, belt tensioner). But all in all, the system has remained the same, the blower has been the same, and will be for quite some time and I will continue to upgrade it accordingly.
This is great as no kit could/should ever see a limit i feel. Upgrades are what make kits so great... continious improvement without sacrificing the drive or engine.

Last edited by Blacksheepdj; Aug 12, 2005 at 10:39 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 12:01 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Boeturbolancer
There's the answer i've been searching for. Since you've answered this can we officially state that you are representing RIPPMODS on these boards. You'd have to be to have made those statements right?

I just want to know who can answer the questions and be held accountable... that's all.
I'm confused, what are you trying to say

I do not work for or get paid by RIPP, nor do I represent them (as I am not on their payroll). Just like you don't rep RRM. We both have close ties and can answer probably 99% of the company related questions, but that doesn't make us an official spokesperson, does it? Of course not, Boe's word is not RRM's word, nor is my word RIPP's word, but dam they are close. You get what I'm trying to say.

If anyone wants any definate answers concerning upgrade costs or anything else, give RIPP a call and they'll be able to answer 100%

More on topic, I was fishing through some old threads and came across something interesting: because of hte flexibilty of the blackbox, it can be set to control nitrous injection. Basically, rpms go up, boost goes up, and the BB triggers the nitrous, adds fuel according keeping it safely in tune and starts pulling timing to account for it. Pretty interesting setup if you ask me. Just unsure how the boost coolant (water/meth) woudl react with the nitrous injection

But that might be worth trying once internals are built up, even a small shot would be cool to try.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 12:57 PM
EvoM Guru

I'm confused, what are you trying to say

Boe's word is not RRM's word, nor is my word RIPP's word, but dam they are close. You get what I'm trying to say.
This was my exact point... everytime i post it's related directly to RRM. For some reason though you aren't related to RIPP in yours. People keep saying, your making RRM look bad... but never that you are making RIPP look bad. It was confusing to me so i wanted it clarified.

Now that it is i'll add this... If i post and someone brings up RRM, don't yank me about it. I leave there name out as much as possible i just state facts and ask questions. That's what i do in order to learn/understand and sometimes teach those who wanted to know but never asked.

Back to topic... as Greeny said

Quick Reply: My Ripp Sds: 194whp/167tq