Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Turbo / Supercharger setup?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2007, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ agreed
Old May 27, 2007, 11:12 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by chino ali
The DSG is a SELF SHIFTING transmission. Isn't CVT's idea the same?
Um, no. The idea of a CVT is to be completely shiftless and to allow the engine to stay at one speed while the car accelerates. A DSG is designed to take all the benefits of a manual transmission and then to improve upon their one flaw - the driver. DSGs allow the driver to maintain control via manual shifting, but let the car handle the clutch, allowing the car to change gears faster than a human can. While ECUs can be programmed to shift a DSG for you, that was not the intent of the design. Other than the absence of a clutch pedal, there is nothing similar between a CVT and DSG.

As for the mention above of Audi's turbo CVT, that CVT was designed for a turbo engine, the Lancer's was not. I'm sure a CVT could be designed to handle quite a bit of power, with enough money and engineering talent, but the fact remains that the Lancer's was not.

Last edited by otter; May 27, 2007 at 11:14 AM.
Old May 27, 2007, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Otter, where is it stated that the lancer's CVT cant take the power? All ive heard from mitsu techs from the videos i've watched is just that its not servicable. Maybe i missed something somewhere, but the only people i see saying it cant take it are those on this forum, those who havent tried, and those who just THINK it wont.

Like i said, maybe i missed something and someone actually knows for a fact based on experience/study/speaking with techs.
Old May 27, 2007, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
Um, no. The idea of a CVT is to be completely shiftless and to allow the engine to stay at one speed while the car accelerates. A DSG is designed to take all the benefits of a manual transmission and then to improve upon their one flaw - the driver. DSGs allow the driver to maintain control via manual shifting, but let the car handle the clutch, allowing the car to change gears faster than a human can. While ECUs can be programmed to shift a DSG for you, that was not the intent of the design. Other than the absence of a clutch pedal, there is nothing similar between a CVT and DSG.

As for the mention above of Audi's turbo CVT, that CVT was designed for a turbo engine, the Lancer's was not. I'm sure a CVT could be designed to handle quite a bit of power, with enough money and engineering talent, but the fact remains that the Lancer's was not.
Well, that's why it was a question, not a stated fact. And that doesn't negate the posibbility that a CVT and a turbo can co-relate as the original question. Which I am happy to hear an answer. But I am no tech on CVT or DSG. That's the reason why my question was the same as the thread theme. As i said before, I am not looking to drop a turbo in the GTS but I am curious of the potential as a medium on the limits of the Lancer's engine.
Old May 28, 2007, 09:03 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by DoHBoY
Otter, where is it stated that the lancer's CVT cant take the power? All ive heard from mitsu techs from the videos i've watched is just that its not servicable. Maybe i missed something somewhere, but the only people i see saying it cant take it are those on this forum, those who havent tried, and those who just THINK it wont.

Like i said, maybe i missed something and someone actually knows for a fact based on experience/study/speaking with techs.
It's an educated guess, based on the fact that this trans was designed for a 150hp engine, and CVT's reputation as not being well suited for high-powered cars unless specifically designed for it. Nobody will know for sure until they break one, or until we see the exact same transmission installed on a higher powered car from Mitsu.

Also, Mitsu told RRM that they think the CVT will be good for 200 bhp. Bolt on's and a tune will get you near there. A turbo will put you way over that, even at low boost (7 or so PSI)

Originally Posted by chino ali
Well, that's why it was a question, not a stated fact. And that doesn't negate the posibbility that a CVT and a turbo can co-relate as the original question. Which I am happy to hear an answer. But I am no tech on CVT or DSG. That's the reason why my question was the same as the thread theme. As i said before, I am not looking to drop a turbo in the GTS but I am curious of the potential as a medium on the limits of the Lancer's engine.
Old May 28, 2007, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

All good.
Plus 197 hp with the bolt ons is all I am really looking for. That's the same amount of power on the SI. Just so that I can look over my shoulder when I pull up next to a civic si and be like, "Now what? And I look better then you" LOL!!

That's style.
Old May 28, 2007, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

^+1
Old May 30, 2007, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

i think everything in the new lancer was designed for twice as much power even the cvt. might not be reliable for 10 years at twice the power but it should do ok. when i bought my car i asked and they said it could easily handle twice the power thats why i bought it. if the cvt doesnt handle close to 300hp i will take it back and get the evo x.
Old May 30, 2007, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

^
Old May 30, 2007, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
+1 lol!
Old Jun 3, 2007, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

when i bought my car i asked and they said it could easily handle twice the power thats why i bought it. if the cvt doesnt handle close to 300hp i will take it back and get the evo x.
well of course the dealer would say it can easily handle twice the power, whatever they have to say for you to buy it and it worked. i bought the car for the all the tech stuff it came with.

don't expect this car to match the new evo x. so saying if it can't handle close to 300hp then you're goin buy the evo x, better start saving now since the new evo x is probably goin start at 40g+. besides the engine is exactly the same minus the turbo that the evo x will come with, and it also comes with auto w/ cvt as well. i'm sure you could drop a turbo in this car and come 'close'
Old Jun 3, 2007, 09:30 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by ViperF16
don't expect this car to match the new evo x. so saying if it can't handle close to 300hp then you're goin buy the evo x, better start saving now since the new evo x is probably goin start at 40g+. besides the engine is exactly the same minus the turbo that the evo x will come with, and it also comes with auto w/ cvt as well. i'm sure you could drop a turbo in this car and come 'close'
The Evo will not have a CVT. Also, I'd stop short of saying the Evo's engine will be identical. You can be sure the cams will be different, and I'd bet the pistons/rods will be different, too.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

as has been stated several times before-

Lancer's CVT = Clutchless Transmission

Evo X's DSG = CPU Controlled Dual Clutch Transmission

Nobody knows if the lancer's CVT can handle a large boost in HP because it uses a rather weak belt to run and is very complicated, meaning more delicate and easily breakable parts.

The engine will most definitely be able to handle the power, probably even without upgraded pistons I think. That isn't the problem.

No one will know if the CVT will be able to handle a turbo until someone blows theirs up, or.. doesn't. I suggest you try it first!

The number 1 reason the lancers can't be compared to the evo is that they are FWD. That's what I think, anyways.

Last edited by David Kelly; Jun 3, 2007 at 09:47 PM.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
The Evo will not have a CVT. Also, I'd stop short of saying the Evo's engine will be identical. You can be sure the cams will be different, and I'd bet the pistons/rods will be different, too.

Very true. I got reamed in the A** by you guys when i stated that but what i was telling everyone was that the CVT concept was the same as the DSG on AUDI and the dual clutch transmisson on the new EVO.

When i had stated that, everyone was thinking that I was saying that the new EVO will have CVT.

Although you guys clarified and made sure you pointed out the difference, what the similarity was the utilzation of the paddle shifters or the sportronic shifiting that CVT, DSG and DC-T does.

You get to play with the paddles!

That was why I said, "Look at the whole vs. the parts that make the whole."

But it seemed that no one read that line.

The fact that you switch gears pendin on gear ratio forsight and whether you are down or up-shifting is the same idea.

IDEA, this word does not mean I am saying that they are the same. So, hopefully no one mis-interprets this again.

Sport Compact Car has already recognized the amount of space on the LANCERS and know that Mitsubishi designed these cars for with tuners in their thoughts when they put these cars together. They created the EVO from the Lancers D.N.A. The Lancer is the root in this fairytale, and the EVO was the one who came from the Lancer, believe it or not.

So in this generation Lancer, Lancer comes before EVO on the engineering.
The 4B11 block was created to be lighter then 4G63 block.
Mitsu is even saying that the 4G63 block was canned because it eventually will become "heavy, old and dirty." That's the words they used. Not mine.

Old Jun 4, 2007, 06:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ViperF16
well of course the dealer would say it can easily handle twice the power, whatever they have to say for you to buy it and it worked. i bought the car for the all the tech stuff it came with.

yea i got the gts to have a good trade in on the evo x in a year, i knew it would be expensive so im getting prepared. but i hope the cvt can handle 250+ for fun in the mean time.

Quick Reply: Turbo / Supercharger setup?