Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Turbonator on 08 Lancer?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2008, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turbonator on 08 Lancer?

would a Turbonator be a good investment on an 08 Lancer? if so, how many should i buy?
im 16 and looking to buy an 08 Lancer and im making a list of quality but non pricey aftermarket addons, and i was thinking of the Turbonator after reading Car and Driver. btw, would you recommend this car for a 16 year old kid? im looking at the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS or ES CVT model. any input on the Turbonator, the car itself, or good add on ideas that a 16 year old kid would be able to afford would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

lol, it dosent add any performance. so go ahead and buy it.

btw ware in IL are you? im up in the Skokie area
Old Mar 2, 2008, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Do not buy a turbonator, it doesn't help performance at all and it can actually cause serious problems with the MAF system (due to the spiraling of the air).
Old Mar 2, 2008, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

the turbonator is a scam. so are the tornado and spiralmax, which are basically the same thing just with slightly different uses and styles. just because you see it advertised in a magazine you respect does not mean it is legitimate, it simply means that they have successfully scammed enough people to afford to post an ad in a big magazine. there are all kinds of bull**** products for sale in respectable magazines.

according to a lot of people it can actually lower hp because it restricts airflow, and the "vortex" it creates doesn't even make it past the throttle, thus having no effect at all on the engine besides less space in the intake for the air to flow through.

i have never seen or heard anything good about one of those products from anyone besides the companies who make them.

the lancer being a good car for a young kid, well it depends on what kind of kid you are. if you are in to modifying the look of your car and a very small of performance, the lancer is good. if you are in to safety, which every one should be and hopefully your parents are, the lancer is actually really good.

if you want to drive really fast, which you probably do, the lancer is not so good. then again, neither is driving really fast.. lol.

i'm not saying the lancer is slow, it isn't, but if you are looking for an exhilirating driving experience or trying to get looks from the ladies with a reasonably fast stock vehicle, go with a mustang or an eclipse, or any other sports coupe. they are usually not too much more expensive.

the lancer is all about being responsible and economical and/or being an import car tuner. if that's what you are in to, by all means, go for it. i did and i don't regret it.

DO NOT pay much over MSRP though. as a young guy the dealers will try to rob you and you probably won't even notice. make sure you investigate and ask questions, make sure you get the best deal you possibly can.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

^hey its faster than a civic, so hes doing something right!
but yea what david kelly said is 100% correct
Old Mar 2, 2008, 06:17 PM

thanks, i just wasnt sure with the Turbonator because the website didn't look too legit, but the supposed hp and torque gains sounded nice. yeah im just trying to convince my parents that its a good car because my dad knows a ton about cars(we have 2 stick camaros) and he wants something safe and good mileage because my cousin has a VW GTI and it didnt turn out so well. and for 08LancerEvo, im about 30 mins south of chicago near Mokena
Old Mar 2, 2008, 06:26 PM

so what would you recommend for aftermarket that i might be able to afford. so far i've got:
-Apex'i N1 muffler and exhaust (a guy from youtube said he'll get it to me cheap)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JuGvtnPAaZw
-Road Race Motorsports Short Ram Intake
-Drag DR-8 18" Rims
-Either Extreme Dimensions or Accolaide Body Kit (the ones for ~$500-700)
-Road Race Motorsports Aluminum Pulley
-Road Race Motorsports Windshield Banner
-Road Race Motorsports CVT ECU Piggyback
-Some paint fx from House of Kolor maybe
-Apex'i decal

all of it should run me ~4,000 to 5,000, and i know a guy who just graduated who im friends with who said he'll install it all either free or cheap)

im just lookin for something that can run with entry level cars or sedans and can be tuned, because my best friend got an '07 Scion tC and has the TRD exhaust and intake, and is getting a black spoiler put on. so hopefully this will all work out
Old Mar 2, 2008, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

If you want a car that's cheap to mod and that shows good gains with simple bolt-ons, you're better off buying a used Eclipse/Talon or some sort of Honda. Lancers have already shown themselves to be less than fantastic NA cars but good FI cars. Something you have to consider, what do you want out of the car? Do you want a solid performer, a show car or a bit of both? 5000$ is enough to turbo the car but then you'd have to do away with the body kit, decals and paint. Alternatively 5000$ can get you a good body kit, custom work and paint.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

this kid either has dreams or great parents. I shouldnt say anything though because my mom is financing me haha but is strict with my 400 payments
Old Mar 2, 2008, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by mezzedupdream
this kid either has dreams or great parents. I shouldnt say anything though because my mom is financing me haha but is strict with my 400 payments
nah, actually im just trying to convince them that its a good car. i'm HOPING like crazy theyll buy it for me on account that they are always at work and need another car at home so i can transport my brother and sister. if so, i have around 1.5k tucked away for aftermarket. i'll either try to get aftermarket stuff done over spring break when theyre on vacation and not tell them or just beg and tell them its purely cosmetic. pshh.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 07:01 PM

i've got 2 jobs lined up this summer to meet the necessary costs too, and to ambystom01, im lookin for a little of both. basically somethin that will look attractive at high school for a dance or driving around while at the same time not losing to these ******** jocks at my school that think theyre tough **** because they drive Dodge Rams and the like and say "oh well i could kick the **** outta whatever you got 'cuz i got me a Hemi". pisses me off like crazy.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Well then you'll have to budget accordingly. I have no idea what's popular in terms of show cars right now or among the high school crowd so you'll have to deal with that yourself. In regards to speed though, unless you go turbo, they'll probably be able to beat you without even breaking a sweat.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 07:21 PM

well right now its all either muscle cars or this kid who has an exact replica of the green Eclipse from Fast and the Furious 1, another (whos my friend) who has an 05 subaru wrx impreza with exhaust and speakers. and with jocks its all pickup trucks. basically everybody just buys a semi attractive car, slaps on an exhaust and big speaker system and calls it a day. i'll probably go with the advice posted in your FAQ section on light budget buyers, it sounds like a good idea. after high school though, definitely going for a Toyota Supra, that's been my dream car .
Old Mar 2, 2008, 07:25 PM

btw, has anyone come out with a turbo kit for the 2008 lancer (if so im guessing its for the Manual), but if its for the CVT, is there one out? so far i've only seen Road Race Motorsports and HKS developing kits, but i havent heard if theyre out yet.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Keep in mind that my FAQ is intended for the 2002-2006 lancer, not the 08.

Quick Reply: Turbonator on 08 Lancer?