Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

this is what happens when i get bored!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2009, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Domolution
Wow....i speechless in this thread. \:
Ah the token Domolution comment.

Anyway. Are you running a full size or half size radiator? Any pics of the engine bay, specifically the manifold, radiator, radiator hoses? It's possible that the heat coming off the manifold is causing the high underhood temps. Alot of Lancers suffer this fate (me too).
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:17 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by senate6268
Ah the token Domolution comment.

Anyway. Are you running a full size or half size radiator? Any pics of the engine bay, specifically the manifold, radiator, radiator hoses? It's possible that the heat coming off the manifold is causing the high underhood temps. Alot of Lancers suffer this fate (me too).
thanks i will take a pic tomorrow when its daylight. just got home from some racing on the main drag here in madison and i am pleased with the results. just wish more people around here knew how to race

josh
Old Jun 30, 2009, 08:38 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

sorry it took so long for the pics. just been hectic at the auto parts store as of late with the holiday weekend coming up! but anywho here are the pics of the engine bay:

Last edited by JRR; Jan 10, 2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

From what I can tell from the pics, you only have a single pusher fan on the outside. Are you certain you wired it up to the radiator fan connector on the relay and not the A/C fan? Have you checked to make sure that your fan is coming on? The fan you have is probably not pushing enough CFMs on its own. You might need to add a second pusher fan next to your current one.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Maybe the heat is just not escaping from the engine compartment fast enough causing it to overheat you can put spacer's between your hood hinge and the hood to space the back of it up and that would let some of the excess heat out. Or maybe get a second fan on the front pushing more air in. Also water cool's better than antifreeze. So I would run more like a 70/30 mix water to antifreeze or try 100% water and see it that fixes it. If it does order second fan and run it as is till you put it on or till the weather gets cold :P But I would try spacing the hoop it’s cheaper.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:21 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by senate6268
From what I can tell from the pics, you only have a single pusher fan on the outside. Are you certain you wired it up to the radiator fan connector on the relay and not the A/C fan? Have you checked to make sure that your fan is coming on? The fan you have is probably not pushing enough CFMs on its own. You might need to add a second pusher fan next to your current one.
yup checked that and working on getting another fan.

Originally Posted by *02Lancer*
Maybe the heat is just not escaping from the engine compartment fast enough causing it to overheat you can put spacer's between your hood hinge and the hood to space the back of it up and that would let some of the excess heat out. Or maybe get a second fan on the front pushing more air in. Also water cool's better than antifreeze. So I would run more like a 70/30 mix water to antifreeze or try 100% water and see it that fixes it. If it does order second fan and run it as is till you put it on or till the weather gets cold :P But I would try spacing the hoop it’s cheaper.
all water here in wisconsin would not be a good idea especially with the winters we have had the last few years! and yes and senate can attest to this to with being from illinois about winters!
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:23 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

and this is the fan that im running. got it from ams performance back in august on the initial build.

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/1...mance.com.html
Old Jul 1, 2009, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I havent put my turbo in yet but the fans I am looking at are pushing 1550CFM which is almost twice yours, there like $30 on ebay, I seen a couple people have been using ebay fans for awhile with no problems. That could be your issue

Last edited by 03lances; Jul 1, 2009 at 12:10 AM.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I’m not saying run all water year round just for now till problem is resolved since its summer you really don’t need any antifreeze. Think of it at as an added protection in case you go on a longer trip or get caught in a traffic jam it won’t overheat or it won’t overheat as fast.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by *02Lancer*
I’m not saying run all water year round just for now till problem is resolved since its summer you really don’t need any antifreeze. Think of it at as an added protection in case you go on a longer trip or get caught in a traffic jam it won’t overheat or it won’t overheat as fast.
Starting last spring I began to run 100% distilled water with a bottle of Water Wetter in the summer and 50/50 in the winter. I have yet to switch back to 100% distilled at the moment. I'm waiting until I get my CBRD radiator in the mail to run 100% distilled with Water Wetter for this season. So I'll have my half-size aluminum up for sale in the next 2 weeks.

Last edited by senate6268; Jul 1, 2009 at 07:53 AM.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 02:43 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03lances
Well I havent put my turbo in yet but the fans I am looking at are pushing 1550CFM which is almost twice yours, there like $30 on ebay, I seen a couple people have been using ebay fans for awhile with no problems. That could be your issue
1550? is that on a 10 inch fan?
Old Jul 2, 2009, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup 10" from what I here this is the biggest I can run so I wanted to find alot of CFM, there is one thats 1550 and another one thats 1570
Old Jul 2, 2009, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JRR
1550? is that on a 10 inch fan?
There are indeed fans that move than much air, even for a smaller size. They are usually a little thicker to accomodate the larger fins needed to move that CFM and work very well as pushers.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 06:55 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

and these fans were on ebay u say for around 30 bux? hmm i may need to look at that a liyle bit more. after my injectors are paid for!
Old Jul 3, 2009, 11:28 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

well today i plan on getting in some data logging with evoscan and ecu flash. bought my cable from a guy on ebay for 70 bux shipped. not too bad i feel for a 1.3 cable. any words of wisdom?

Quick Reply: this is what happens when i get bored!