Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Ebay turbo being tested.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2008, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i think im just gonna say f... it
ima do it and see results

that way we all will know
so wish me luck guys
ima buy one from there and well see
Old Sep 1, 2008, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
It's your money and your car.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

yeaa i know
it a risk im willing to take
i have a back up engine that my friend gave me when he wrecked his lancer so yeaa
somewhat a money save just incase

but yeaa we needa find out if these turbos are decent or not
Old Sep 1, 2008, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Problem is just because one is good doesn't mean all of them are good.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

heres the link to the one im looking into buying
check it out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-06...59641171QQrdZ1

looks decent
and show pics of it on a lancer n stuff so idk
Old Sep 1, 2008, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

You can't tell whether a turbo is good by just looking at it. Think of it this way, there is a reason why a good turbo can cost over 1000$. At 200$, you are barely covering the manufacturing costs (materials and labor) let alone any quality control or research and development. I don't like the idea of buying pants on ebay let alone something that could blow up my engine.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
You can't tell whether a turbo is good by just looking at it. Think of it this way, there is a reason why a good turbo can cost over 1000$. At 200$, you are barely covering the manufacturing costs (materials and labor) let alone any quality control or research and development. I don't like the idea of buying pants on ebay let alone something that could blow up my engine.

yea i totally agree with you
but theres always gonna be competion like that

supply n demand

its just like abercrombie jeans
and some jeans from wal-mart
they look just alike n fel the same
but abercrombie is like 80$ and wal-mart is 10$
still same quality yaa know
why not the cheaper kind no one will name

your basically buying the brand name not the product. idk thats my opinion, but i totally see where your coming from though
Old Sep 1, 2008, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Its a good point, but any kind of turbo can blow your engine. Being realistic on ebay you can find good deals on any kind of turbos. They got big 16g turbos on there for a real good price. I got a friend running a t3/t4 turbo on his prelude and its lasted for 2 years. Like i said earlier any body trustworthy looking can sell you a turbo...doesn't mean its gonna be a good turbo.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ant_BLR
yea i totally agree with you
but theres always gonna be competion like that

supply n demand

its just like abercrombie jeans
and some jeans from wal-mart
they look just alike n fel the same
but abercrombie is like 80$ and wal-mart is 10$
still same quality yaa know
why not the cheaper kind no one will name

your basically buying the brand name not the product. idk thats my opinion, but i totally see where your coming from though
This isn't supply and demand, this is essentially intellectual theft. You can buy generic BOVs, springs, coilovers, etc. on Ebay. The companies that make those didn't do any research, they simply took a product (like a Tial wastegate), took it apart and learned how it was made. Clothing doesn't require any research, it is purely a vanity thing. Moreover, I was just shopping today and I can honestly say my 60$ shirt fits a lot better than my 10$ shirt. While the brand name argument may work with clothing, it doesn't work when it comes to products that require real research and real development. Try and tell RRM that their turbo kit is exactly the same as a 600$ one from Ebay and see what they say, I promise you it will not be kind.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by doctorjon
Its a good point, but any kind of turbo can blow your engine. Being realistic on ebay you can find good deals on any kind of turbos. They got big 16g turbos on there for a real good price. I got a friend running a t3/t4 turbo on his prelude and its lasted for 2 years. Like i said earlier any body trustworthy looking can sell you a turbo...doesn't mean its gonna be a good turbo.
yeaa i know what you mean
i guess you just gotta do some homework before anything
still thinking though
but i might just do it so we can get an answer
Old Sep 1, 2008, 11:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
This isn't supply and demand, this is essentially intellectual theft. You can buy generic BOVs, springs, coilovers, etc. on Ebay. The companies that make those didn't do any research, they simply took a product (like a Tial wastegate), took it apart and learned how it was made. Clothing doesn't require any research, it is purely a vanity thing. Moreover, I was just shopping today and I can honestly say my 60$ shirt fits a lot better than my 10$ shirt. While the brand name argument may work with clothing, it doesn't work when it comes to products that require real research and real development. Try and tell RRM that their turbo kit is exactly the same as a 600$ one from Ebay and see what they say, I promise you it will not be kind.
yeaa i know what you mean
but i see it as that
it may not be close to what i meant to say
but it helps the point though

idk im just saying
i may be wrong who knows

but well have to see
we all have good inputs and lots of things to consider which i will be doing
so lets see
Old Sep 1, 2008, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

The difference is a name brand (Mitsubishi, Garrett, FP, IHI) turbo won't blow your motor because of a mechanical failure (it will likely be a user issue) and if it does, you actually somebody to contact. If you blow your motor because of an Ebay turbo, who are you going to call, Ebay?
I really don't care what turbo you buy but from my experience, you get what you pay for. There's a reason why I've only put/am only going to put good quality, well established parts on my car. I don't believe in doing things half-assed. If you're going to turbo your car, do it right the first time.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

If i were you i would research a little more since you are undecided and seems like you really are scared. I would say piece all your material slowly. The 600 dollar turbo kit isn't even the real kit. It comes with generic instructions, but you never know if they have even tested this out on a lancer if even at all. I would say if you piece it up by yourself you will be a lot more happier in the outcome cause you know what you put on your car. Get the turbo, fab the manifold or buy one from RRM. get all the intercooler piping...ebay has it all.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone can half-*** a actual good turbo kit from a good company. Every good brand name has its downfall. I mean just cause it has a brand name doesn't mean it doesn't have failure written on it. I would agree something that seems more expensive does seem like its good material. Ebay sellers sell actual brand name things on ebay. They go roughly for a little cheaper than actual stores.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

If i were you i would research a little more since you are undecided and seems like you really are scared. I would say piece all your material slowly. The 600 dollar turbo kit isn't even the real kit. It comes with generic instructions, but you never know if they have even tested this out on a lancer if even at all. I would say if you piece it up by yourself you will be a lot more happier in the outcome cause you know what you put on your car. Get the turbo, fab the manifold or buy one from RRM. get all the intercooler piping...ebay has it all.
yea im gonna do my homework n see what i get
i mean cuz like if you can save money then do it ya know
but im taking into consideration on this
cuz its a big and EXPENSIVE step to my car

so we will see
but thanks doctorjon, and ambys
2 good inputs ill take

Quick Reply: Ebay turbo being tested.