Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Custom Turbo on a 2006 Lancer ES... Lots of modifying!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2008, 11:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Turbo on a 2006 Lancer ES... Lots of modifying!!!

This is my first thread on evolutionm.net, I hope some will admire my work as there was a lot involved!!!

So, In the past few days I just installed a 16G turbo on my lancer. I bought a turbo, custom welded Megan turbo header, E9 downpipe, O2 housing, Forge WGA, Aeromotive FPR, 460cc Denso Injectors, and stainless steel fuel lines from Depsy on Evolutionm.net. I also bought an intercooler with 2.5 inch piping, and a greddy type RS BOV, along with an AEM wideband and controller. The RRM piggyback was also bought. Im sure i am forgeting something but yeah, pretty nice setup. I was a little worried looking through hours of forums, with many saying that no one has a custom turbo installed on an 06 lancer because of the returnless fuel system. Well, I attacked my Lancer... literally.

The manifold i think is for an evo with a lancer flange welled to the evo flange... very thick and strong, but i had to get different studs for the manifold because it was too thick. I didn't remove the radiator but i did hack the secondary radiator fan out, as there was no way a turbo was gonna fit there. (dont worry i will be getting it replaced with a new radiator and fan soon, need to replenish the bank account!!) The next problem came when the turbo couldnt sit back towards the block far enough because of one of the protrusions on the turbo itself.... it met mister hacksaw and off it came. Tried to put it up there again, only to find that the hard coolant pipe running from the thermostat housing was in the way.... actually it was just the mount, so that met the BFH (big f**king hammer). I finally got it up there, all bolted up. I didnt buy a braided oil line like most, as i had a brilliant idea to cut the too short oil feed line and double flare it and use brake line from the turbo to my sandwiche adapter. Well it was like 8 at night, and i didnt have the right fitting for the SA so i searched my auto shop and found a broken oil pressure guage with a nice braided steel line, the PERFECT length with the right adapters on BOTH ends!!! I was a happy fellow for sure..... a test start with no IC piping send oil just spewing EVERYWHERE. there was a hole in the damn line!! So i waited till the next day. Got the fitting and installed it, fit nicely. But, then I noticed i had forgotten to put the banjo bolts in for the coolant lines, and the back one towards the block would not fit any wrench up there to tighten it!! I dont even want to think of it I hate that bolt so much!! Anyways, anyone thinking of turboing a manual 06 lancer beware.... have some fabbing skill. The clutch master cylinder sits RIGHT smack dab in front of the intake on the compressor side of the turbo.... and i mean right in front, like 3/8 inch away and half way up.... not cool. I had to make a custom bracket and move the cylinder so it would still dis- and engage the clutch properly. Got that done and found out that i didnt have a reducer for the pressure side on teh intake coming out of the turbo.... i have that rigged at the moment, but it works. And i dont know what our front frame is made of, but holy crap.... i went through 4 bits!!!! and yes i used cutting fluid, i have drilled many holes in my 18 years of life. Anyways, got all the IC pipes hooked up and had another set back.... I bought the type RS BOV, very nice, came with all hardware to recirculate (even though it is to atmosphere right now! ) And i had boughten a cheap precast 2.5 inch peice of pipe with the flange already on it......from Ebay, and of course the holes didnt line up, so i had to break out the tap and drill again. then i put the injectors in..... They were about 3/4 inch taller than stock, and to get ti to fit properly i had to mill the mounting holes on the rail into slots, so the bolts would line up right. I also had to snip off my stock fuel injector plugs and solder on the new plugs and harnesses. That was a job.

So, it was time to start the beast, running open downpipe, no cat, no muffler. Well, it kind of started, even though it was drowning in its own fuel. My fuel light was on so i bit the bullet and drove it to the gas station........ OMG!!!! up to 3500 the car hardly even runs it is getting too much fuel (i didnt install the piggyback yet, lol) but once i hit 3500 RPM..... oh my god!! i was laughing at how fast my lancer was. and the sound of the BOV nearly left a wet spot in my shorts . So tomorrow my plan is to install the piggyback and take a little fuel away.

I will try and get pics up. Since i am new to this form ill tell you guys about me and my car. My name is taylor morehouse and i am 18 years old and drive a 2006 mitsubishi lancer es, cool silver. I had the engine bay pretty tricked out N/A, with red tubing, stainless braided coolant lines, and vacuum lines, a red RRM rally X bar, and a SRI. I did that throttle body coolant bypass thing, i have a grounding kit. Interior I have the Grip pedals from sparco, a type S shift knob, glowshift OP, A/F, and boost guages (whiteface 7 color, actually a very nice kit) 4 point harnesses, under dash neon. Exterior I have an evo wing my old man painted (custom body shop for a few years), vortex generator, red rally flaps, black projector headlights with eyelids i did myself with vinyl, DEPO black tail lights, stainless cat back exhaust. Right now I have Team Dynamic Pro Race-1 wheels (the EXACT same ones on the FQ-400 evo, except mine are white) and an evo 8 conversion body kit from accolade on the way. Any questions on my install so far please ask, I am very friendly, I'll try and answer any and all questions you have for me...... any tips would also be benificial. THANKS EVOLUTIONM FOR THE GREAST FORM OF ALL TIME!!!
Old Aug 27, 2008, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Nice post. Welcome to the threads! Your turbo setup sounds like the standard Evo parts list setup. Everyone loves there setups! One piece of advice I can offer is to be careful with running a turbo on your '06 with the returnless fuel system. Don't run more fuel pressure than is necessary. The one thing that came to mind is a member here who had a supercharger setup on a Lancer with a returnless fuel system. He ruptured his fuel line from too much pressure (and maybe some ill design from ) and his engine caught fire while driving. In the returnless system the excess fuel pressure doesn't get bled off and needs to be monitored much closer than with the 02-03 Lancers.

Also, how much boost are you currently running? Do you have the 5psi or 7psi spring in your WGA? Have any future plans for your engine?

Again, welcome to evoM!
Old Aug 27, 2008, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Okay how about some pictures? but really congratulations you have gone out of your way to make this work and done things that other people wouldnt have, so... for you, just dont drink it before you drive! question, you did convert to a returned fuel system?
Old Aug 27, 2008, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
congtrats and welcome.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

Cool.

I love reading about custom builds like this. I keep thinking too much of Young Frankenstein when I read stories like this.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

hey blackoperative...remember me im jonathan_vong@sbcglobal.net

i bought the turbo kit you wanted ...how come you didn't order a FMU from ebay?
Old Aug 27, 2008, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Hey welcome and congrats on a great 1st post. Sounds like you know what you're doing which is great. You should switch to a return fuel system. Just snag an intake manifold and fuel rail and the fuel pump assembly. That's what I'm going to do and I got the parts from a junk yard for like $50. Keep us updated and definately post some pics.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

I hate all of you for having junkyards that HAVE lancers in them. I can't find one anywhere.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

lol I just happened to stop at one for fun and found one 03 Lancer es that was rolled.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

In florida you can not find a damn thing. I have been looking for a manual lancer in a junkyard for the longest time. I can not find ONE, and it's starting to really grind my gears!
Old Aug 28, 2008, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow! You had a struggle to go through. I think my hrdest problem was getting off the oil pan.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jehuty
In florida you can not find a damn thing. I have been looking for a manual lancer in a junkyard for the longest time. I can not find ONE, and it's starting to really grind my gears!
Ooooh he said it lol. What are you looking for from a manual lancer?
Old Sep 8, 2008, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

hey guys back again, sorry for the long wait on a reply.... anyways so i got everything else hooked up, the ecu, and even tuned all the way down they were giving it way too much fuel.....so i dropped in the stock injectors. Now it runs lean, imagine that. Even at a 20 the thing still runs lean..... i am currently trying to get some cash to buy a fuel pump from RRM, i hope that is the problem. So yeah im now down in pheonix arizona, and i did get my body kit, much to my surprise that they sent me my original order..... and evo 8 front bumper and side skirts and an evo 9 rear bumper, so it has the diffuser on it . Just today i got my wheels, which really pissed me off, they are the wrong bolt pattern!!!!!!!!!! They look SO SO sexy on the lancer, if they bolted up that is. Anyways ill post pics when i get this son of a B done, with the body kit on and the wheels replaced, i have to make it look good haha.
Oh and no i dont have a returned fuel system, once i get the pump ill be good. Im down in arizona to go to school, UTI??? Not sure if any of you guys have heard of it, but i won 110,000 dollars total for school by winning the Ford/AAA auto skills competition. You can ask me about it if you are interested. I also got a bunch of snapon tools and about 2000 dollars worth of other tools, it really helped on the turbo install. Oh and any other tips in road tuning would be great, or if you have any other ideas what could be wrong with the lancer, it just runs lean even at a 20, though it is better than it was.

Sorry guys my mistake, i didnt WIN the AAA, i got third in the nation out of 50 states, but i did win in the state level.

Last edited by drucea; Sep 8, 2008 at 07:04 PM. Reason: No selling outside FS forum and not enough posts
Old Sep 8, 2008, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

I don't care what place you came in, that's a crap load of awesome stuff and money to win. Congrats. There's a few people selling walbro 255 fuel pumps on here for waaay cheaper than RRM. You shouldn't spend more than $90 shipped for it brand new. Good luck with getting it leveled out. There's a UTI here in Houston also that I know a lot of people that go to. They seem to be learning something.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$99 shipped from Speed Corps
A member here has one claimed as new for $65 shipped https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ghlight=walbro
This one is $50 shipped https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ghlight=walbro

Quick Reply: Custom Turbo on a 2006 Lancer ES... Lots of modifying!!!