Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

What should I do to my Lancer?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2010, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should I do to my Lancer?

Hey guys I have read these forums here for quite a while before actually signing up. I understand the 4G94 has very little potential unless you practically change all engine parts and place a turbo. I am on a VERY limited budget as I just want to put a little "kick" in my lancer. I am looking at maximum of a ~$350 budget.

My options were getting an Injen/K&N intake for about $210
Header? I saw one at RRM for about $370 it had also a down pipe??( I have no idea what that is )
Or installing a DOHC head, I think some people here did that but I keep looking and finding nothing. Like putting a 4G63 Head, I think this is possible. Any idea of how much this will run me and how good it will be?
Or a Catback, I have heard a lot of people installing Magnaflows here..

What should I do guys?

I am mainly looking at an intake and have noticed some at RRM,eBay, and AAS they are about $200 for the K&N and $240-$260 for the Injen

Also should it be SRI or CAI and of course why is the SRI so short?? THANKS!
Old Jan 10, 2010, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
350$ budget , will get you an ebay sri intake , and a weld on coffee can muffler. you will see maybe 7-10 horsepower total gains between the 2... save up till you have around 1500$ then do a 4g64 swap , its a better starting platform .

The 4g63 head will not bolt to the 4g94 engine. although a 4g63 head will bolt to a 4g64.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

First of, Welcome. =)

i say if you want to save money, go get an ebay CAI/SRI and slap an AEM Filter. SRI (Short Ram Intake) rams the air to the intake. (correct me if im wrong).
a CAI (Cold air intake) has more tubing that goes under to get more cold air hence being called CAI. the only reason those branded intakes are expensive is coz of the CARB #.
i suggest starting of with breather mods like an intake (doesnt matter which one), bored TB, 4g93 pnp IM and also a light weight pulley or mirage pulley.
next get an exhaust system (full), HF cat and header. lastly and most important, get it tuned. people around here recommend EcuFlash but its not beginners, so you might as well get the RRM piggyback.

llt_racing installed a DOHC head onto our cars and not only DOHC but the Mivec too. i say its pretty expensive to get and how bout the "what if" factors.
if a dohc part breaks, its pretty dang expensive coz you need to get your parts oversees. also if you dont even know what a downpipe is, dont even think about the DOHC or the 4g63 swap,
its pretty complicated. just my .02.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 09:01 PM

Ok well I do not have too much money to invest because I am trying to save up some money for a new car. But for now I to revive my car. So the reason I cannot get an eBay intake is because I live in CA and there are problems with CARB laws.

So should I get an Injen or a K&N. I understand the difference about the SRI and CAI now but I mean if they were the same price which to get? If they were different which to get? Should I get a CAI if its more or a SRI if its more?

Also from where? Or it doesn't matter as long as its cheap?

I found a Kamikazi Cold Air Intake at Andy's for about $175 and at KamikaziPerformance for about $120.

I found an Injen SRI which comes with two pieces on short and the other a bit longer for $260 on ebay but on Andy's it is $220 but its short. I just find the longer one better looking cosmetically. It is rated to give 9.8hp gain... That cannot be..

There is also a very short SRI for $210 from K&N on ebay.

Or should I just got for the Road Race Stainless Header & Down Pipe for $360?

Or a Magnaflow or Road Race cat back?

Also what about this head? I just thing its a little too much for what I am going for. http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/s...&products_id=5
Old Jan 10, 2010, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by darkmitsu
350$ budget , will get you an ebay sri intake , and a weld on coffee can muffler. you will see maybe 7-10 horsepower total gains between the 2... save up till you have around 1500$ then do a 4g64 swap , its a better starting platform .

The 4g63 head will not bolt to the 4g94 engine. although a 4g63 head will bolt to a 4g64.
No you won't, you'll be lucky to see 1 HP. I had almost all the bolt-ons possible and higher compression pistons (10:1 vs the stock 9.5:1) and I gained 5 HP, and lost 3 ft-lbs of torque. Hardly worth the thousands spent getting there. If you want an intake and exhaust for sound, go for it, you can definitely make the car sound more aggressive but the power gains will be negligible.
If you want power, go turbo or get a different car/engine. There simply isn't enough support for naturally aspirated route to be worth it.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

+1 amby. if you really care about hp, get an evo. simple. =)
but if you just love moddin a car and care less about hp, stick with the lancer.

well, i live in cali. just before you get smog, just swap the old intake and prob solve.
the rest is totally up to you. i myself is also thinking about the rrm head. also if youre
so worried about CARB, i suggest not getting a header. if you still want to get a header,
look for the old RRM header coz you can put the stock heat shield on it and it hides the header.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 09:58 PM

I understand that I do not expect HUGE or BIG hp gains. I just want something new with sounds good I am expecting at LEAST 3hp gain. I am getting another car but I want to do a little bit more to this car. So probably going to be an intake or cat-back. Most likely an intake since its cheapest. I just have no idea which one???

Which one of those that I posted do you guys thing I should go for?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bgioan
I understand that I do not expect HUGE or BIG hp gains. I just want something new with sounds good I am expecting at LEAST 3hp gain. I am getting another car but I want to do a little bit more to this car. So probably going to be an intake or cat-back. Most likely an intake since its cheapest. I just have no idea which one???

just get an ebay short ram intake.. most of them come with k&n filters and there only like $40. then when smog time comes, just swap the stock intake back in.. it only takes 10 minutes and you save $200. then that saves you money for a header and exhaust.. even a header only takes 30 minutes to swap out for stock. and if your worried about smoggin your car with an intake on then you probably shouldnt be modding you car. im in the process of installing my rrm turbo kit and the only way im gonna be able to smog my car is by paying somebody $200 to smog it illegally.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 01:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah things like this make me glad I live where I do as I dont have to go through emissions here. Since I just turboed my car in november it would definately not pass emissions unless they just threw the computer on then I should be fine. In all honesty putting the intake you might feel an ever so slightly increase only because it will slightly change your torque curve but in reality your not gaining anything but to everyone his own, I personally think our cars haul pretty darn good with FI and is well worth it. I think people discount the Hp to weight ratio too as our cars are pretty light so every hp gained is felt that much more just my 2 cents as well
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Then you need to spend more money. Like I said, I had intake, bored throttle body, bored intake manifold, bored fuel rail, header, exhaust and 10:1 pistons and I gained 5 HP.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Then you need to spend more money. Like I said, I had intake, bored throttle body, bored intake manifold, bored fuel rail, header, exhaust and 10:1 pistons and I gained 5 HP.
Then there is either something wrong with your car or your modifications because I, not on this car, but comparable models such as Accord gained about 3hp from an intake. I truly doubt if I do this to my car I would gain less than 10. I am just about sure if I do all of those I will gain at LEAST 6whp. That gain of 5 with all those mods does not seem normal. But then again only my OPINION as I have not done it.
But everycar is different even if its the same model there is a difference between how I may have driven and treated my car to how you have driven and treated your car.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Then there is either something wrong with your car or your modifications because I, not on this car, but comparable models such as Accord gained about 3hp from an intake. I truly doubt if I do this to my car I would gain less than 10. I am just about sure if I do all of those I will gain at LEAST 6whp. That gain of 5 with all those mods does not seem normal. But then again only my OPINION as I have not done it.
But everycar is different even if its the same model there is a difference between how I may have driven and treated my car to how you have driven and treated your car.
Lol, we've been through this, there was nothing wrong with my Lancer. Others have seen similarly abysmal performance increases. You cannot use a different car as a reference, the Accord is a completely different vehicle. You will not gain 10 HP with an intake and exhaust. I have the dyno plots to back up my statements, do you? Read the FAQ linked to in my sig, it will answer all your questions.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

lol you are comparing apples to motor oil there with the Accord and Lancer. The Accord benefits much more from increased airflow of a intake where as to see the same benefits for a 4G94 you have to change the IM, the TB and port the head. All that to make an intake work as efficently as it does on a F22.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Honda heads are notorious for their flow, hell I've heard some of their heads flow better than those on Corvettes and other high HP, high displacement sports cars. By contrast, the 4G94 is a bored out version of the 4G93 and by all accords isn't a good NA motor.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

So they're pretty much similar to the new gen lancers, it's boost or go home.

Quick Reply: What should I do to my Lancer?