Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

CVT Turbo Update

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2011, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what kind of cams are u guys puttin in ur cvt lancers? but in the 08 model?

whats the brand of the cams u put in your lancer?

Originally Posted by ROCK
Dude, you might just get a MANGASM. This is being worked on as we speak by RRM along with some undercover folks from Mitsu (being serious) and a third party. We are trying.

ROAD/RACE

do u guys have any cams in the making?

Last edited by ninjacoco; Jul 25, 2011 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Triple post on the same subject
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:50 PM

^

Originally Posted by bigvick21
do u guys have any cams in the making?
Ya i would also like to see direct fit performance cams for our 4b11 engines that can handle high turbo boost and give the car 20+ hp for our 08 and up lancers. I see that their are cams for the older version lancers so I guess rrm is still in the works of making cams for our 08 and up lancers time will only tell. Just like when hondas came out their werent much aftermarket parts to make it like 300 hp or more. Our 08 and up lancer is going to get aftermarket parts to tune up lil by lil every year, like I said the world wasn't build in one day right ?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ghilversumtuner
Ya i would also like to see direct fit performance cams for our 4b11 engines that can handle high turbo boost and give the car 20+ hp for our 08 and up lancers. I see that their are cams for the older version lancers so I guess rrm is still in the works of making cams for our 08 and up lancers time will only tell. Just like when hondas came out their werent much aftermarket parts to make it like 300 hp or more. Our 08 and up lancer is going to get aftermarket parts to tune up lil by lil every year, like I said the world wasn't build in one day right ?

so if you guys do make a nice cam that will handle all the power of a turbo. my main concern is, the fact that the transmission is so sensitive on this car it cant handle much heat... do u think if an intercooler or something better will come up to help keep it low in temp or its just wut turbos do? make the whole **** heat up? Also, From your experience, what kind of add ons can i equip my ride with that has been tested and proven to work and not mess up my beauty? any advice would help. i dont wanna just go out and start buying every little thing i hear that peeps are saying about there upgrades. thanks for the advice!
Old Jul 31, 2011, 02:23 AM
Evolving Member

The stock cams are already capable of handling the power of a turbo. And if you did want to upgrade for some reason you can go and buy some nice evo x cams. So with the lack of need and already decent products out there, I wouldn't get your hopes up that RRM has any plans to get involved. You'd have to be crazy to buy whatever over priced crap they'd come up with over the evo x cams anyways, so don't lose too much sleep over it. And while swapping has shown some hp gains, there have also been issues with the lobes and cam sensor causing people to blow engines, so you might as well just stick to stock.

The only measures you can take to preserve your transmission is to get a CVT cooler from RRM, always drive with the paddles/slapstick so that the CVT belt isn't constantly adjusting, and run low boost.

Last edited by Panis; Jul 31, 2011 at 02:29 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Panis
The stock cams are already capable of handling the power of a turbo. And if you did want to upgrade for some reason you can go and buy some nice evo x cams. So with the lack of need and already decent products out there, I wouldn't get your hopes up that RRM has any plans to get involved. You'd have to be crazy to buy whatever over priced crap they'd come up with over the evo x cams anyways, so don't lose too much sleep over it. And while swapping has shown some hp gains, there have also been issues with the lobes and cam sensor causing people to blow engines, so you might as well just stick to stock.

The only measures you can take to preserve your transmission is to get a CVT cooler from RRM, always drive with the paddles/slapstick so that the CVT belt isn't constantly adjusting, and run low boost.

oh aight. koo. so wut would be the use of gettin them cams anyways if there going to blow up the engine. thanks for the advice. also, wut do u mean run low boost while using the slapsticks? just dont always punch it?

what would u recommend puttin in the 08 lancer gts that hasnt harmed the engine or tranny but gives a nice power increase?
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:39 PM

Road Race MotorSports are pros

Originally Posted by Panis

Dude IDK who you think you are saying RRM sells crap stuff. You're basically insulting professionals why don't you get off your keyboard and do what they do everyday, exactly you cant because rrm are pros, and everyday their getting better and better at what they do. Every drive train item everyone has bought was happy all their aftermarket parts have 5 stars. If it wasn't for rrm us lancers wouldn't be in the racing aftermarket like hondas etc. I really appreciate the advice but bashing and being a troll saying Road Race MotorSports makes crap aftermarket parts, makes you sir look really low... I give props to everyone at RRM doing what they do best making top quality aftermarket racing drivetrain and parts. And also I did some research the only thing I would need in my engine to prepare for high turbo boost are forged pistons, and bolt ons, headers, exhaust, short ram, etc and with that new magnesium cvt racing belt in the works Its a done deal and especially with a big tranny cooler.

Last edited by Ghilversumtuner; Aug 1, 2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

>wut would be the use of gettin them cams anyways if there going to blow up the engine.

Installing cams can give you a good 20 extra HP, it's only recently that people started getting problems.

>wut do u mean run low boost while using the slapsticks? just dont always punch it?

Running upwards of 5lbs of boost has shown to cause issues with the CVT so you'd have to keep it tuned down pretty low to be on the safe side. When you drive in automatic your transmission is constantly changing between an infinite number of gear ratios, obviously this causes a lot of extra work and heat. To reduce heat it's better to drive using the paddle/stick shifters because you're restricting the transmission to only use 6 different gear ratios.

>what would u recommend puttin in the 08 lancer gts that hasnt harmed the engine or tranny but gives a nice power increase?

Honestly nothing. Bolt-ons won't harm the engine but don't have a nice power increase. Turbo has a nice power increase but you run the risk of harming the engine/tranny. I've heard that Brian Crower may be working on a fix for the cam issues. If that ever happens new cams would be a great mod. If RRM is successful with making their stronger CVT belt they would open up a whole new world of turbo for CVT drivers. Since neither one exist yet we're pretty much at a lose-lose.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

@Ghilversumtuner

You're more than welcome to blindly assume everything RRM makes is made of gold, but you can at least allow the rest of us to openly discern which products from which companies are actually good without getting all bent out of shape.

For your enjoyment, here's a 7 page thread of everyone pretty much bashing the company you seem to think everyone loves so much.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...-talk-rrm.html
Old Aug 2, 2011, 03:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The two most important things to remember is the use of fixed gear usage. which was mentioned above, but also fluid. The CVT fluid from Eneos and Redline are design to reduce friction by a few percent, this in turn reduce heat buildup in key hot spots. Even if its by a few degrees overall... over the long run this will buy you more time down the road.

I am for any company that continues to put R&D dollars into the Lancer and other Mitsubishi Vehicles.

RRM continues to do this and deserves respect to that credit. I dont think any other other company has climbed the Lancer mountain more than RRM.

That said, please keep the thread on topic.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by evo_soul
The two most important things to remember is the use of fixed gear usage. which was mentioned above, but also fluid. The CVT fluid from Eneos and Redline are design to reduce friction by a few percent, this in turn reduce heat buildup in key hot spots. Even if its by a few degrees overall... over the long run this will buy you more time down the road.

I am for any company that continues to put R&D dollars into the Lancer and other Mitsubishi Vehicles.

RRM continues to do this and deserves respect to that credit. I dont think any other other company has climbed the Lancer mountain more than RRM.

That said, please keep the thread on topic.
so whats up with the turbo? is it gonna be the **** or what? i also want to know about how to tune your car. i hear it alot and i know when you throw on all that aftermarket **** you gotta get it tuned. also, how much is it? and does it help from leading to your engine messing up if you dont get it tuned. ummm, one more question. i hear alot that headers dont give hp, just better airflow.... =) so it might be a waste of money. or is there dynos to prove it?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 09:16 PM

Turbo for Auto- Lancer de..
Hey, new to the site.. got a lot to learn too..
recently picked up a lancer de, automatic and im curious for opinions --- I want to turbo my car...are you for or against the idea ?.. reasons why plz..

I was thinking a very small turbo .. very low psi.. 2-5... and since its a CVT - a transmission oil cooler too... I could also just trade in for a 2.4l manual tranny GTS .. and drop the turbo into that.. plz let me know of any ideas, objections or well you get it... drop a line please.. Thanks..
Old Sep 6, 2011, 04:07 AM
Evolving Member

I want to turbo my car...are you for or against the idea
Against, the CVT can't handle it.

I was thinking a very small turbo .. very low psi.. 2-5
Then you'd be spending at least 1500$ for about 2-5 extra hp, ok maybe not that low, but you get the idea. It's not worth it if you're going to run low boost.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 08:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get the manual GTS and be sure you have a good experience plus do the install once.

ROAD/RACE
Old Sep 6, 2011, 10:01 PM

turbo cvt auto lancer de

my thoughts exactly.. ill enjoy it for the time being I suppose..and see what can be arranged for next summer...gives me some time to save some coin... giving me more options in 8-11 months...

thanks for any and all input
Old Sep 20, 2011, 02:36 PM

I always wanted to get this kit for my 09 lancer. It just costs too much to make the lancer a fast car :/

Quick Reply: CVT Turbo Update